1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barry Warner resigns from KILT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GageD, Aug 7, 2013.

1. GageD

GageD Member

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/08/sportsmouth-warner-resigns-from-kilt/

‘Sportsmouth’ Warner resigns from KILT

Longtime Houston radio sportscaster Barry Warner said today he has resigned from CBS Radio’s KILT (610 AM), bringing to an end, for now, a radio career that began in the 1950s.

Warner, who will be 70 in December, had been off the air since May and underwent surgery in July after suffering a neck injury while playing hockey. He said he was cleared to resume work but informed Ryan McCredden, KILT’s program director, that he would not return.

Warner said his decision was based in part on the decision to remove him in April from KILT’s 6 to 10 p.m. show and reassign him to the 10 p.m.-midnight shift.

“I tried to do the (later show) with an open mind, but it came to a point of diminishing returns,” he said. “I would be in bed at 2 a.m. and up at 6:15 a.m., and I can better use the time for my various interests.”

Warner said he will continue to work with a company he owns called Asian Southwest Media and would be open to a return to radio.

“I’m a free agent, but there aren’t any franchises,” he said.

McCredden did not immediately return a telephone call for comment.

Warner grew up in the Buffalo, N.Y., area and started his radio career there. He covered the Bills in the AFL’s inaugural season of 1960 and moved to Houston in 1966 to work for the AFL just prior to the league’s merger with the NFL.

He remained in Houston as a scout for NFL teams before getting back into radio in 1975 with KLYX (102.1 FM) and KIKK (95.7 FM). After several years with the Denver Nuggets while they were owned by Houston businessman Sidney Schlenker, he returned to Houston and launched the “Sportsmouth” show on KILT (610 AM).

Warner also worked as a sportscaster with the Stevens and Pruett show on KLOL (101.1 FM), at KSEV (700 AM), the Dean and Rog show on KKRW (93.7 FM) and with Houston radio veteran Ralph Cooper at KYOK (1590 AM).

He was hired in 2009 by KILT program director Gavin Spittle to work a Sunday night show with Brad Davies that evolved into a nighttime show with Shaun Bijani. Fred Davis replaced Bijani in 2012, and former Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson was hired to replace Warner in April.

Warner said he was grateful to Spittle for the opportunity to return to radio and said the proudest moments of his career involve his work mentoring broadcasters such as Mark Berman at KRIV (Channel 26), David Dalati at KFNC (97.5 FM), Matt Thomas at KSEV and political consultant Chris Begala as they began their careers.

“I’ve got a lot of energy left and no desire to retire from working,” he said. “I can hold my head high.”

2. da1

da1 Member

Barry Warner quits!!!!!

3. smr6

smr6 Member

What? No Josh Innes?

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Warner is a boob, but the fact that he's 70 years old and plays hockey is pretty damn impressive. I hope I'm that active when I'm 70!

I'm old enough to remember the days of him doing Rocket games before Worrell took over.

5. Granville

Granville Member

I wouldn't call him a boob. Out of touch is more like it.

He was the color guy with Greg Lucas doing the play by play. I thought Lucas did a good job. Warner was over the top.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why couldn't he take Innes with him.

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

What is "Asian Southwest Media"?

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm in the minority of the people who actually enjoyed him with Shaun Bijani. I enjoyed a majority of his stories but yeah, his head was mighty, mighty big.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I guess he didn't have low testosterone after all....:grin:

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why did they change?

11. Granville

Granville Member

Wasn't a good pairing and the team was awful that year.

I don't recall the exact setup but there was a time where there was a simulcast radio / tv scenario where Gene Peterson did play by play on TV and Worrell did color. I think that only applied to road games but I'm not sure. Worrell did play by play on home games (i think).

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Didnt Barry Warner say we were going to get Dwight? Around the time he was traded to La...

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know any of these people but it seems like that Program Director had his number.

14. conquistador#11

there is an open spot for sexy rexy and or matt, get er' done 610

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Anytime you ask a 70 year old to take a midnight shift you want him to quit.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought the same thing

Rocket River

17. the shark

the shark Member

Playing hockey at 70 yrs old isn't impressive. It's pretty crazy!!

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

?

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes and it was a smart move by the program director. As soon as Warner was gone, I resumed listening to 610 part-time on my drive home from work.

I did feel a little sorry for him being on the late-late shift.

20. Indaface

Indaface Member

Barry Warner just wanted to get off the sinking ship that is 610. Latest ratings have them below 97.5 in mornings and afternoon and behind 790 in mid-days.

I'm sure they will bump up with the Texans season coming up but it's nice to see them struggle after acting like it's their talent that brings in the ratings. Good to see people getting tired of their ****.