1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: "Worst Officiating Game In Long Time"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Apr 25, 2003.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"We are not supposed to root for certain teams, but I found myself rooting for Minnesota. That was the worst officiating game I've seen in a long time. There was at least 10 bad calls in the end." -- Charles Barkley telling it like it is.

no bout adoubt it, that was a really badly called game. The foul on Wally's defense of the fastbreak was worth not letting that official call another playoff game, imo.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I agree...horrible horrible calls by the refs!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: did you hear George Karl interview.

man, he's going to get fined big time. Didn't he say, "we lose a playoff game because of a ****ing ref making a call like that." "It's a disgrace."

4. drapg

drapg Member

I liked Lennox Lewis and Barkley's response to Karl.

5. BmwM3

someone has to do something about these refs. They are deciding the games!!George Karl was pissed off after coming back from that big lead and the refs deciding the game. But then again if Mason would have gotten that rebound they would have had a chance to win or go to overtime.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Karl has much of a beef. Mason had every opportunity to box out Martin. I don't even think there was that much of a foul on Martin's part. Karl was just pissed that he lost that game.

7. jamma34

jamma34 Member

kukoc took like 30 steps on that play at the end so i dont know what they're complaining about

8. drapg

drapg Member

We love yo' suit Craig!

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

just look at the game thread for proof on how bad it was. I knew the board would be covered with new threads about the bad officiating... lol.:cool:

10. pchan

pchan Member

I am so glad that minnesota won the game, the refs were horrible!

There were so many bad calls.. and didn't garnett got like 3 fouls in 10 sec in the fourth quarter?
    I know I am exaggerating.. but it was bad, I was about to break the TV when they call a foul on wally on that pargo's layup.

11. BmwM3

Yea...George karl doesn't have much beef about that game. Kukoc got away with traveling so he shouldn't even be complaining.But that Lakers and Minni game that was some horrible stuff.

12. AGBee

AGBee Member

AP story on LA-Minn game

When an AP story mentions the bad calls to this extent, you know it was a big stinker of a game by the refs. Good to see its getting some national coverage.

"With Garnett on the sideline after fouling out early in overtime on a questionable call..."

"He had a hand on Robert Horry's back while defending an inbounds play, and Horry appeared to flop to the floor."

"But Bryant made a 3-pointer five seconds later, was fouled by Szczerbiak on another questionable call"

"The Timberwolves committed a turnover trying to inbound the ball, and Bryant was fouled by Rasho Nesterovic -- who was standing still with his hands straight up"

"Jannero Pargo made two free throws after another suspect foul call"

13. mhan

mhan Member

without a doubt the lakers got the benefit of the calls in that game. i am just glad they lost, woulda made me feel dirty if they won. thankfully the refs seemed embarrassed by their horrible calls earlier and wouldn't give the lakers a call after that horrid pargo call.

today's game was a much better officiated game. my only beef is how many freaking illegal screens is kg allowed to set with nary a call? set two clearly illegal screens late in the fourth that leveled devean george twice and lead to his wide open three. horrid.

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

I liked the Wolves fastbreak where Fisher flopped without anybody close to him.

15. BmwM3

Devean George flopped on those to screens by Garnett!

16. mhan

mhan Member

you have to be kidding me. garnett walked right into those screens. you have to have your feet set and not be moving to set a legal screen, garnett ran over devean george on the first one (no flop there at all) and he did nearly the same thing on the next one (upon review of my tape, yes, george did act on that one a bit, though it was still a moving screen).

and the fisher flop on that fastbreak ended up in a turnover for the lakers. the refs didn't buy it, and rightfully so.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

no beef about shaq elbowing rasho in the face and rasho getting the call.

no beef about shaq running over joe smith to end the half (or was it 3rd?) and not getting a charge when every announcer in the crew said it was a charge.

no beef with a few touch fouls for kobe while he didn't get called for clearly riding peeler on a made jumper?

the next time the lakers are on the bad end of the officiating overall will be the first (or i guess 2nd after game 5 of the kings last year).

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Wait....You're not telling me.....the lakers....the lakers got soem calls in the playoffs!?!?!?! In a close game!?!?!? OHMYGOGHOWCANTHISBEHAPPENINGTHEWORLDISCOMINGTOANEND!!!!!

They get this crap every year, why should this year be any different?

This is why I hate the lakers...exactly this...and the reason I hate laker fans will be demonstrated with the very next Laker fan post, where they will say that the calls were pretty even, despite all evidence to the contrary. I mean, when you root for a team that gets all the calls, especially come playoff time, you lose all perspective.

19. BmwM3

Exactly Macbeth, I'm with you all the way. After that game that was the most worst officiating game ever the Laker fans at lakersground.net said it was even. The moderator was saying how even the calls were and was threathening to ban people that didn't agree.

20. mhan

mhan Member

that is an outright lie. 90% of us at lakersground said that the calls favored the lakers in game 3. many of us commented on how the lakers never would have even gotten a sniff at ot without the refs in that game.

and joe smith flopped on that play. i have the tape, and you could see that he literally throws himself to the ground at the end of the half. he was falling before shaq even really makes his move. and i've not yet seen the "play" where shaq elbows rasho in the face and it's a foul on rasho. tell me the quarter and the general time and i'll take a look on my tape.