1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: "Rockets 7th or 8th seed at best"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Oct 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

with all that being said though, thats all according to our expected output. I really hope some of our players step it up and have breakthrough seasons and surprise all of us. to show that we are even better than last season

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol at last year's bench being better. Garcia was a no show, lin was terrible on d and t.o. and ab was ridiculous mismatch in his spot. Now we have a few who you can count on like Terry and Daniels to give you buckets when you need them. I'm very confident in this group, I say that because they are players you can live with whatever consequences they make.

3. jamie10

jamie10 Member

You mean daniels that hasn't made a shot yet in the regular season? I like him a lot and hope he gets more playing time but come on...

Terry is playing well though and hope he continues to play well

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

parsons had to play almost 40 mpg and when he was out, we were useless because we had an injured garcia....

Harden had no backup 2, but Lin coming across from the 1 would do ok against weaker teams, because we had literally no backup, well there was Ronnie Brewer...lol (Harden made himself play 2 or 3 games he shouldnt have because of this issue).

Dmo was worse than last year, and we had no one like papa who could play delfino like spot minutes as a stretch 4, well Casspi....

Asik was solid...for about 20 games...out of 82.

So tell me, Jeremy Lin, Ronnie Brewer, 1/3 Garcia/Casspi, last years Dmo and 20 games of a useful Asik

or Canaan, Terry (Daniels), Papa, this years Dmo, Black/Dorsey

Our bench isn't great, but it's not god awful either, probably a middle of the road bench, last years was well, better than Portland's (who was sporting a near all time bad bench)

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Has Morey made any predictions yet? Last year he believed we were a top 4 team, good enough for home court advantage in the play offs.

#105 danoman, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

that we will be a better team than last year by the playoffs

#106 Aleron, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Last season we were the 4th seed. OKC, SA and LAC in front of us - POR, GS, DAL and Memphis behind us.

OKC didn't get better and they are severely plagued by injuries right now.
    SA got another year older - but yeah, we are saying this every year.
    LAC didn't change much.
    POR didn't change much.
    GS didn't change much.
    DAL changed a lot, and they probably got a little better.
    Mem didn't change much.

And us? We lost Lin, Parsons and Asik - 3 major rotational players. Asik didn't do too much last season - Lin had a major down year and Parsons was great. We got Ariza, a guy who is worse than Parsons but next to Harden and Howard the better fit. Papa, we don't really know if he is gonna be more of a Delfino or more of a Spanoulis. Black, Terry, Daniels, Moti we don't really know what to expect.

But we also got one full season of Howard and Harden under our belt - and Howard who is one year farther away from his injury.

Did we get worse? Our depth probably did. Our starting 5 is arguably better than last season and our bench probably worse.

The west is very competitive and 6 teams could go anywhere from 3-8 spot. So we could be an 8th seed at the end of the season. But I don't see why anyone would clearly put 6 west teams in front of us right now.

And let's not forget we have some ammunition for a trade...

8. cebu

cebu Member

check out today's standings.

WE're the only one with 2-0.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

:rolleyes: I'm as happy as any rockets fan but come on.. it's 2 games

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seedings are notoriously hard to predict. But we are for sure not a contender.

We need another playmaker and probably a scoring perimeter big man.

11. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

If we aren't contenders the who the hell are contenders?

That **** show in Cleveland won't win them a ring.

I don't see okc or lac better than us. Cp3 has regressed

12. baubo

baubo Member

I feel it was inevitable and sort of understand, even if I disagree, that the national media would hate us. I just don't understand all the love for Dallas. I mean, even "on paper" were they better? Calderon, Vince, Marion, Dalembert out, 2x Chandlers coming in. And they were UNBELIEVABLY healthy last year. People talk about Portland's health last year. Dallas' top 8 players all played 76 games or more. That's insane luck and most certainly not going to be repeated.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SA is definitely.

Then Cleveland, LAC or OKC.

One of those 4 teams will win it.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Okc just lost Westbrook for 6 weeks. Durant will be out for 6 weeks. So we could scratch them off the contenders list for this season.

Add the Bulls to that list as well.

15. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

The problem with the west is that you can miss the playoffs by losing just a few games. Last year were were just 6 games away from not even making it.

And of those 6 games, there were a few in which Harden was out, but we still won because of our depth.

That's why dropping from 4th to 8th seed wouldn't be that shocking. All it takes is a few games.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

-Suns beat Spurs
    -Kings beat Portland
    -Terrible Knicks beat Cavs
    -Cavs and Bulls play an ugly helter skelter brick fest that made me think Rockets would easily beat these two teams
    -Clippers barely beat a Durant-less OKC, and a terrible Lakers.

Power Rankings are going to get shuffled hard come Monday. Rockets should get a little more love. Not that any of that ranking stuff matters.

In a West where a few games separate the 1 thru 8 playoff seedings, OKC is as good as done this year. Sucks for them, but I've always believed in the Supersonic curse with how that team was stolen.

17. jdhi

jdhi Member

LOL!!

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless...they were only one loss away from being the 6th seed.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"at best" 7th or 8th and end up 2nd?

The troll is warranted

20. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

And we would have been the best 6th seed in the history of the NBA record wise. I think Charles meant we we were probably a 45 win team at best. Not 55 or 56.