1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: "Rockets 7th or 8th seed at best"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Oct 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kemah

kemah Member

You know if he is right then we will have had a bad season. I think he will be wrong and we end up the 4th again as long as our starters stay reasonably healthy. People outside the area don't watch every minute of Rockets play like we do here so all they are seeing is player movement. Guess we could say that Barkley is ignorant.

2. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Who cares, Dallas and Memphis took their opponents to game sevens in the last playoffs, we got the fifth seed and didn't even win the first two home games.

Seeding in the Western Conference is overrated, as long we're in the playoffs come 2015, I'd happily take it.

3. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Seeding is very important.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Home court is a bit overrated . I would much rather have a fully healthy and peaking team going into the playoffs than be run down and have home court. As long as harden and Howard are fully healthy we have a shot in any series especially if they improve this year .

5. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Too early to tell..

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

So Kevin Durant: DND Foot all season long?

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's a long way back from 6-12

8. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I think the Rockets have a lot of question marks in terms of depth and their starting PF spot, so it's not totally crazy for people to think the Rockets got a little worse. I'm not saying I agree with those people though, I'm cautiously optimistic, but from an outsiders perspective I can see the question marks.

1 person likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not talking about that type of depth. That's unique to a few team.

When Harden or Dwight is out, we look lost and very average to below average. I would even said if Bev or TJones miss any significant time, we are in some trouble (against elite team). The Rocket system was already overly reliant on two superstar. Add an extremely weak bench on top of that... :( Other playoff level teams can withstand injury to starters. I don't think we can.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Exactly how I feel. Exactly.

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I don't care about seeding in the regular season. Why is clutchfans always lying to themselves where we will end up?
    The only reason that could be important is so we play a weaker team.....but we know what happened when we did.
    That is what Charles is basing that off of. When the rockets do more then second round then they will be taken seriously.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Seeding to avoid a certain team is more important than seeding for home court, though I'm note sure the Rockets could have beaten any of the other 7 teams in the WC playoffs last season.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Um? We were the 4 seed.

[we still failed to win the first 2 home games :mad: ]

14. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Houston could have gotten out of the 1st round very probably by playing a different team. No way to predict otherwise except if we had been matched up with a team that had a weak 4 or 5 we would have stomped them. There is a reason we matched up well with SA but not Portland. If we would have had a bench at all last year we could have matched OKC but we can always wish this stuff. Since we were weak in 2 areas it made it easy to exploit us. Playoffs are all about seeding and matchups.

15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Barkley of course doesn't consider that Morey will probably make a deal for a good to great player at some point during the season. Asik is the only huge loss of the off-season. Ariza > Parsons. Lin is a joke. If we can deal for a good backup big and that elusive above average PG then the Rockets will be in the mix for a trip to the Finals. Do not underestimate the heart of Daryl Morey.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The addition by subtraction theory is the dumbest theory i have ever heard. I am grateful Ariza is working out for us but we are still very shallow off the bench. Too much unproven talent and troy daniels is starting to look like a bust. I hope a trade goes down where we can pick up a guy like Rondo or Dragic or I truly do feel like we are first round exits again.

17. kemah

kemah Member

lol

No upgrade at PF then no deep playoff run with a PG upgrade or not. TJ is not going to get us there and he is the best we have.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With a good start like Portland had last year and a good finish, with OKC having problems, I could see us getting to 3rd and 2nd seed at best.

Barring injuries of course

19. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Even if we are the 4th or 5th seed, i donot see us contending.

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

According to our roster and "expected" output from our players, he's right. We are a 7th seed team. We have no bench, and we need a major upgrade at the 4 spot (even though tjones is holding his own so far). We just have absolutely no depth this season which is our biggest weakness. I think our starting 5 can get by just fine. But compared to last year having asik and lin off the bench (more so asik) along with garcia, AB, we just aren't as stacked as we were.

If we could play our starters all 48 minutes per game, then we would without a doubt be contenders. But the way the game works, you need a bench. and we don't have one.

If we would have landed bosh, we would have instantly been contenders. Pushing Tjones off the bench, with Jterry and some other players, we would have been a real force.