1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: "Rockets 7th or 8th seed at best"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Oct 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The bench is weaker and we still have one of the worst starting PG's in the league. I love Beverly but ideally he would be great as a bench defensive PG. The western conference is also so stacked that it could be like that one year when every team won 50 games.

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Are we sure this is true? Asik wasn't available most of the year, and I think Papa is better than any wing bench we had last year. So the loss of Lin is it, and that isn't a HUGE loss.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

On paper we have only one game under our belt and against one of the worst teams in the league. I think we will learn a lot more once we play a team with a pulse.

4. Centerville

Centerville Member

I'm not sure what the complaining is about. The Rockets did lose three NBA starters. Barkley does know what it's like to play for a Rockets team with no bench, the difference being that this team probably doesn't have three future GOATs on the roster to offset the lack of depth.

The Rockets could absolutely end up playing better than they look on paper. The starters could play a full season without missing a single game. McHale might find a serviceable rotation somewhere on that bench. There's no reason to think so at this point, however, and I certainly wouldn't make such a prediction on national TV.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah we have to stop being that sensitive. Lin parsons and asik are all starting for their teams. That is what he meant.
    Bottom line is we ***** the bed last year against Portland. Let them doubt us, they have a right to. We just gotta hope we prove them wrong

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if the front office doesn't make any further moves during the season to plug up our holes, then 7th or 8th sounds about right.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's still to be determined. Right now on paper, I think our bench is weaker. Missing Asik(when healthy) is obviously a huge downgrade at the center position. Losing Lin hurts us in the sense that we no longer have a playmaker or reliable scorer available off the bench.

That being said, the bench could wind up being better in the end. Papa is already better than Casspi ever was. Terry and Daniels(for the entire season) could provide quality backup minutes for Harden whereas last year we were depending on a worthless Cisco early in the season and then had Lin play at the backup 1 and 2. D-Mo is still the backup 4 so that hasn't changed. So that leaves Canaan and Black as the big X factors. If they can solidify those backup 1 and 5 positions, then our bench could arguably be slightly better than a year ago.

Still, I suspect Morey will make some sort of move before the trade deadline to shore up the bench. Even if the guys we have end up doing a good job, we still need some help in that area.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

NOBODY picked the Rockets to finish 4th in the west last season.

NOBODY picked the Rockets with win the championship in '94 or '95

Howard and Harden both played with a chip on their shoulders last night. Barring injuries, the Rockets have two of the most talented guys on the court every night. Role players need to role play and we'll be fine.

9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The hate we have gotten this year is stupid. Just because we lost Parsons Lin and Asik. Ariza is Parsons just a lot better on D.. And I mean a lot. Lin was awful that's addition by subtraction. Asik loss hurts but he played in only what 40 games? With D12 he's irrelevant. I don't see us worse than the 4th seed again. Espically with H and H

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I get my NBA entertainment from Barkley and Inside the NBA. I get my NBA analysis elsewhere.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I actually think 6-8 is very realistic. And as long as we avoid #8 and a first round matchup with SAN I am happy. Seeing how well SAN moves the ball and finds the open jumper is basketball art.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

It always interests me that the two ex Rockets are the most negative on the team. Kenny and Charles never miss an opportunity to diss Houston. On the other hand, I do think it is going to be a struggle in the West. One or two of the unfocused "elites" may end up out of the playoffs.

13. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

The Rockets are not getting much love around the media. Listening to Termine and Dunleavy on NBA radio yesterday they both had the Rockets out of the playoffs. People are really hanging on the losses of Parsons, Lin and Asik without really thinking about it.

We replaced Parsons with Ariza who for what we want to do will be just as effective as Parsons was for us.

Lin was exposed and is nothing more than a bench player. Terry/Cannon/Daniels can give us what Lin gave us at a fraction of the cost.

Asik is a good player but can't play with Dwight together so his minutes would have been limited as a Rocket. Doesn't make much sense to pay a guy who would be playing 15-20 minutes as much as he makes.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Barkley's negativity has 5m reasons, Kenny Smith though is a weathervane

15. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

And nobody predicted that we'd end the regular season with the same record as their beloved Miami Heat.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

The west this the west that.... Blah blah blah..... So tired of hearing about the west...... You can either A. Spend most of the time worrying about the other teams in the west or B. Go out every night and worry about beating your opponent.... The focus for The Rockets should be winning every single game not if Dallas won or if SA won... It shouldn't be if OKC is doing well without Durant or if the Clips are finally ready to compete for a title.... All that crap is for ESPN to worry about.... We as fans should worry about enjoying games and supporting the team.... Nothing else.....

17. CertifiedTroll

Barkley is salty.

[​IMG]

18. thiefery

thiefery Member

Just make the playoffs, then it's anyone's game...

19. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

most pundits have been saying the same thing, who gives a rats ass though. lets play the 82 games and see how it ends up. there used to be a time i would really care what Lowe, Barkley, Simmons, Wilbon and everyone else thought we would do. now i don't even read the previews and stuff. no point.

20. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

nothing like a Houston fan to count our teams out early. Goodness it would suck playing in Houston with some of you as fans.