1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley quotes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by finalsbound, Sep 12, 2001.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

To Moses Malone as he walked into the Suns' locker room after a game in March 1993:
    "The average age in this room just went up 25 years."

On being fined $22,000 after a fight with Bill Laimbeer, plus $31,700 in suspended salary:
    "I don't care if I get fined. I make $3 million. What's a couple thousand dollars?"

On then- Washington Bullet center Moses Malone, who had vowed to remain silent until the Bullets reached the .500 mark:
    "I guess he won't be talking for a few years."

On shoving a scrawny Angolian basketball player during an Olympic game in Barcelona:
    "It's a ghetto thing. You wouldn't understand."

On Brazilian star Oscar Schmidt:
    "Isn't he that guy with Felix Unger?"

On Cuba, the Dream Team's first opponent in the tournament of the Americas:
    "All I know is that they're led by some old scruffy guy with a beard who smokes cigars."

On the NBA's future:
    "There will be another Michael Jordan, another Larry Bird, and another Charles Barkley. God is so good to us. If someone told you 5 years ago a 6-4, 250 guy would lead the league in rebounding, you'd say I was full of ****. If someone told you there'd be a 6-10 guy from Nigeria, Hakeem Olajuwon, who could outrun guards, you wouldn't believe it. If someone told you there'd be a 5-foot white guy who could play like John Stockton, you wouldn't believe that either. They just keep coming."

On the Dream Team's goal against Panama in the Tournament of the Americas:
    "To get the canal back."

When a cockroach moved by Barkley's feet in the Suns locker room at Chicago Stadium during the NBA finals:
    "Damn, I'm back in Alabama!"

Complaining to referee Darell Garretson after he thought he was fouled during a game in San Antonio:
    "I know women who don't hold me that tight."

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. All the players are black."

To a heckler who said that Barkley would never get a championship ring:
    Yeah, but I've got $20 million."

On the lack of fan support in Philly:
    I love Philadelphia. I love playing in front of 8000 fans every night."

On waiting for former LA Laker AC Green to decide whether to accept the Phoenix Sun's free agent offer:
    "He's waiting for God to lead him the right way. I told him I've talked to God, too. He said he was a Suns fan.

To Sixer teammates who happened to be shooting around before a game against the Rockets in 1992:
    What are you doing shooting before a game? If you don't know it by now, it's too late."

On Oliver Miller, who helped Barkley shave his head before a preseason Suns game against the Golden Stata Warriors:
    "Oliver really can't play. He's just here to cut my hair. We drafted him out of Arkansas two years ago as our team barber."

A letter to Bill Laimbeer during the 1989-90 season:
    "Dear Bill, **** you. Love, Charles Barkley."

On the 1988 presidential election when he voted for George Bush:
    "My family got all over me because they said Bush is only for the rich people. Then I reminded them, 'Hey, I'm rich.' "

And, My ultimate favorite Charles Barkley quote of all time...

On being thrown out of a game by referee Bob Delany for throwing elbows at guard John Bagley in a game against the New Jersey Nets:
    "There was a fly on my arm and I had an itch in my armpit and I was trying to get rid of both, and I moved my arms. He didn't even give me a chance to explain."

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lolness.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

LOL! Classic Charles! :)

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Hahaha, if anyone else has any funny quotes please post them.

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

GReat!
    During these times it is tough to laugh, but this got my day started right!

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its not a quote but he did say the only way you can get Oliver Miller to jump is to put a Big Mac on the rim.

7. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Those are absolutely classic...

8. finalsbound

On the media horde surrounding him at All-Star Weekends:
    "I never realized that you could get so many ugly guys together at the same time."

On whether the Nike Air Max's price, $130, is too much for a sportswriter's budget:
    "For you guys, $129."

On whom the media should vote for in 1990 for MVP:
    "It just depends on what you guys have been drinking."

On what he would do if he retired:
    "If push came to shove, I could lose all self-respect and become a reporter."

On whether he would coach sometime down the line just like Paul Westphal is doing after having played for the Suns:
    "No, I'll be retired. I'll be a black - oh, I'm sorry - a multimillionaire."

On leading the Sixers in scoring, rebounding, and field-goal percentage:
    "If I'm playing like two people, I want to be paid like two people."

When told by NBA V.P. of operations Rod Thorn that some of the money that the NBA had collected from Barkley in fines would be going to feed needy children:
    "Then there can't be a whole lot of hungry kids left in the world."

On being fined $37,000 by the NBA during the 1989-90 season:
    "I'll write it off on my income tax."

On whether he could ever return to the 76ers:
    "I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan."

On fines:
    I don't want to go berserk but I saw Jim Courier make an obscene gesture at an official the other night and he got fined $1000. I'm in the wrong sport. I should take up tennis.

"It's not the crowd or anything that gets me going. I'm thinking about the raise I'm gettinga fter this year. That's what drives me.

On whether college players should get paid:
    "Lots of it. Twenty thousand and up. I don't see anything wrong with it. You're providing a service. A lot of schools do it. I thought everyone got paid in college."

On what he was doing in 1972, when the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team suffered a controversial loss to the Soviet Union:
    "I had just flunked the entrance exam to kindergarten."

After a 1990 win over the New Jersey Nets, with tongue-in-cheek:
    "This is a game that, if you lose, you go home and beat your wife and kids. Did you see my wife jumping up and down at the end of the game? That's because she knew I wasn't going to beat her."

On dissension among the Sixers:
    "Harmony isn't important. The only thing that matters is winning and getting paid."

After a Game 6 loss to the Chicago Bulls:
    "I'm still going to Disney World."

On injuring his shoulder during the 1992-93 season:
    "Man, the worst thing about this is I won't be able to play golf."

:)

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hehe I needed that , those are just too damn funny .

10. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

No doubt. I'm not ashamed to say we need this.

Next week I look for the Classic Charles tape that TNT put together at the end of their final game last year.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That was hilarious! Thanks for the laughs finalsbound! :)

12. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

He was the same way during games. There was a Warriors game several years ago when he cussed out a ref, and as he walked away then-W's-coach Rick Adelman complained to the ref about Barkley not getting a technical. Charles turned to Adelman and said, "Don't you know? I'm Charles Barkley. I get away with ****."

Another time, I was watching a game on TV and a foul was called on one of Barkley's teammates. The floor mike picked up Barkley saying to the white ref, "He wasn't even in the play! But I guess we all look alike to you."

13. hitman21

hitman21 Member

"Where have you gone Charles Barkley?" Most guys today walk through interviews like they're robots. Always the same answers to the same questions. Charles wasn't afraid to speak his mind on anything and everything. I respect him for that.

14. Old School

Old School Member

I heard this crystal clear at a Rockets game when he was still a Sun:

"Suck my d***!" To a heckler...the heckler continued and Barkleys says, "Hey, didn't I just tell you to suck my d***??"

That shut the guy up.

Old School

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Before the 1992 Barcelona Olympics......first round:

"Charles, you face an Angolan team in the first round. What do you know about Angola?"

"They in trouble."

16. finalsbound

Exactly, hitman. I get so sick of Shaq mumbling with bloodshot eyes and Carter shrugging all the time when he answers questions, or Kobe half-smiling while giggling at everyone's compliments, or Iverson never smiling. Or Allan Houston so full of himself and Ray allen so full of sh^t. DAYYYYUUM, where ARE you, Charles?

17. finalsbound

nice sig, old school. LOL.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

:D Thanks, I needed a good laugh!