1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Barkley on Rockets: "I really want my paycut money back."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJ, Jun 14, 2014.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

This. Barkley really was all about the team. Forget Lebron and Wade taking a slight paycut, Barkley played for the minimum. I think it was $1mil.

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I respectfully can tell you, I have my doubts! If he isn't, then I guess the homer in me is a lot stronger than I realized! When he's not bashing the Rockets he has a wonderful personality!...:grin:

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I reminder TOFs and YOFs hating Barkley cause he kept saying the Rockets aren't true contenders.

he's right. It's called people hating the truth.

Barkley took a massive paycut for Pippen. He was making less than Matt Bullard.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan, but I suspect that the YOF's viewed this as a continuation of Barkley hating on Yao! To me Barkley doesn't come across as being someone who accepts being wrong graciously! I personally think he wanted Yao to fail! Can you imagine how Barkley would have felt if Yao would have won a championship AND he didn't? Especially after he trash talked about him saying he would never be anything special?

Once again, that was his choice to do that. Just as throwing away money on $300 bottles of wine and gambling away millions! It's all been done out of his own free will.

5. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Pay him in crispy cream donuts and call it a day. Lol

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Barkley's a chump. I hated him in Phoenix but gained respect for him when he came here. But now it's he never wanted to come here? That's a hoe move

7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

not like he is hurting...i bet he makes 5-6mil/yr with TNT....probably even more now after winning an Emmy

8. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

Barkley needs to work on putting together a coherent sentence when he's on TNT

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think the idea of team hopping to ring chase doesn't sit too well with him. I think it's one of the few (only?) times that it's not you, it's me actually rings true.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Why do you always have to speak reason? haha

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I fell in love with Barkley just before he joined Houston. There was a book of quotes that came out, obviously all of the quotes were his. And they included context. He's incredibly funny. He's one of the best ever and trust me, don't put any weight in him talking trash. It's all in good fun. Regardless of what it seems like.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

What about when he said Yao Ming will never score more than 10 pts a game? Or how about when he said the Rox only won a ring because MJ was out of the league? Or how about when he said the Rox will have the worst record in the West a couple of years ago?

Are those part of your truths as well? You have a massive problem, you hate Tmac on the pretense that he betrayed the franchise but then you go and glorify this loudmouth who says stuff Tmac doesn't even say. Who really loves this org? How about the dude who sat beside Hakeem and Les Alexander on a Rox home game? :rolleyes:

I don't really care about Barkley, he makes NBA commentating interesting and I don't really think he takes all these stuff seriously,he ****s on MJ all the time in interviews but apparently they're really good friends. And tbh taking that paycut when he was playing really does outweigh all the crap he says now, anybody can say crap but what really matters is what you don on the court. However I don't like the way you demagogue saying fake Rockets fans hate or what, the dude has been crapping on the Rockets seen he became a commentator. Denying it is like saying climate change doesn't exist or the sun isn't hot.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I remember Barkley and Drexler hating each other. They both had valid points. Drexler was lazy on the job showing up minutes before game time. His lack of work ethic never changed in his time with the Rockets, coaching the Cougers, and in Dancing With The Stars. Off the court though, Clyde dieted properly and was in immaculate physical condition. Clyde was also not a loud personality.

Barley had passion for the game and a big mouth. He sacrificed financially, and on the court, put the team first. Off the court, Barkley couldn't stop drinking, eating, and strip clubbing. As great as he was, he could have been better had he the diet discipline of Clyde, who wrote in his book about his proper eating habits.

They both had their faults, and they hated those aspects of each other.

1 person likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Don't mention anybody who can't lead us to the western conference finals.

Cause Barkley did and the 99ers remember , all of the Houston rockets fans remember.

What he says on TNT is for entertainment .

15. DJ

DJ Member

Apparently, Charles and the feed the post style the Rox implemented forced Clyde to retire.
    Fast forward to 3:32:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZkaW4qE5XM

Clyde and Charles had feuded at times. However, I do remember one time Clyde helped him out. In the late 90's when Barkley was arrested for throwing a man out a window in Florida, Clyde paid like $30,000+ to bail him out.

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

barkley taking that kind of pay cut is unheard of in today's NBA. it'd be nice to see more players in their twilight years do the same (payton, battier, malone, allen).

even if barkley came up short on the ring, he was fun to watch and is as good or better on camera.

maybe one day he'll make another bet on camera against houston... we all know how that turned out.

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Whatever. If he had a contract where getting that money wasn't on paper, that's on him and his agent. Maybe Les said he'd pay him and should have, but this isn't grade school. There are contracts and agents for good reason.

Who is this Pippin fellow you all keep referencing?

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe Les should come out and tell Charles that if he would have defended better against the Stockton 3 he would have been rewarded handsomely. Oh well, c'est la vie.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Wrong.

You think Stockton was his defensive assignment ?
    A power forward guarding a point ?

Go watch that play again.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Also, Barkley took the pay cut a full 14 months AFTER that game.