1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley & Kenny Smith on Ming/Francis/Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, Nov 8, 2002.

1. alaskansnowman

Watchin INSIDE the nba when they started talkin bout the rockets... After Hubie Brown dished out some praise to Stevie for his monster numbers, Barkley and Kenny had a nice lil discussion bout the situation in Houston.

"Steve and Cuttino are very talented but they shoot too much." - Barkley

"I don't want my point guard averaging 30 points a game." - Barkley

Kenny maintains that Yao Ming is the best player on the Rockets.

Barkley says that Yao Ming is naturally gonna struggle, but that's partly because Steve and Cuttino don't give him the ball enough. It's their job to help bring Yao along and that includes giving him the ball in good, easy positions and they are not doing that.

Kenny said that 1 through 9, the Rockets have one of the deepest teams in the league. Then he referred back to the comments of installing a motion offense in the preseason, and disappointedly said that the offense now is basically the same thing they were doing last year, and that the motion offense has really yet to be seen.

2. cujo

cujo Member

I don't know about Yao being best player in the Rockets, but they are right about everything else.

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The problem with both Kenny and Barkley is that they are telling the truth. This team is too deep and too talented for 2 players average that much... The problem is they are still playing too selfish. Until they learn how to play as a team they will not grow.... Dang I've been saying this same statement for the last 2 to 3 years. This is getting real old, real fast.

By the way SnowMan you forgot to mention what Kenny said about the motion offense. That the team is basically reverting back to the old Iso offense and there is very little motion in the motion offense.

Something has change fast or someone has to change so that these guys can play as a team.

4. JLB

JLB Member

Well we can't say that they are wrong but we also are only judging this from four games. We need more games with healthy players to really get an idea of what this team is or is not.

Steve and Cuttino combined don't shot as much as Kobe tonight.
    17 for 47 javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Sweet, on side A we have:

Steve
    Cuttino
    Smeggy
    heypartner -and-
    Rudy, the isopope.

On side B, we have:

Achebe the great
    Charles Barkley
    Kenny Smith
    Scottie Pippen
    Glen Rice

I see a pattern here: 4 of the top 50 of all time (and Kenny Smith too) all agree that Rudy is coaching some stupid basketball. The other side, which consists of a bunch of assholes, thinks that everything is great. I think I'll defer to myself:

give yao the ball you stupid midgets!
    rockHEAD, can you make an image of us of turn'r and jack, with Steve and Cat's faces superimposed on Hanks and the dog?

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what this team needs. They should have more turnovers.

I believe that Ming will really be a special player, but he hasn't really shown any reason why he should get the ball more right now.

He can't hold his position on the block. Half the time he does get the ball, the opposing team steals it, or knocks it out of his hands, and he generally doesn't look uncomfortable on the court.

There are times when the ball does go to Yao, but they usually don't turn out to be productive offensive possessions.

I think after Ming gets more comfortable, learns the NBA game better, he will get the ball more, and it will be a good thing. Right now, he has done nothing to warrant more touches.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

JLB...

Any other time I would say I agree with you that it's only 4 games and people are hurt. But here's the problem....

1) For the last couple of years we have been hearing the same ole sad song.

2) This team is deeper and more talented than what we have had in the past.

3) Look at the average playing time of each player.... The 2 guards are playing way too much and a lot of players on the bench are not playing enough.

4) Look at the offense.. This was suppose to be a motion offense more like a motionless offense.

Now there's the arguement that key players are hurt... With as deep a team that the Rockets team has, there is no excuse as we don't have the personnel to run the motion offense.

5) With the way the guards are playing.... Jacking up shots and not getting people involved, I guarantee you a revolution is on the uprise within the team... People are going to start taking bad shots rather than pass the ball. Because they know if they pass it they may not get it back...

Now here is the point.... This team is not going to change no time soon unless something drastic happens...

Rudy and the Rockets Organization are playing the fans, like a cheating Husband or Boyfriend plays his wife....

The Husband or Boyfriend cheats on his wife and the first thing he says is "Baby I'm going to change and it will never happen again...." 1 month later, there he is doing the same thing over again. The wife says "Honey can you cut the grass or fix this.." and his answer is "I would have cut the grass, but there is no gas.." Always full of excusess and the wife has blinders over her eyes and believes everything.

Now let's look at it from another angle... Rudy gets asked a question about the offense and he says "We are implementing a motion offense to get more people involved". 10 games later "What about the motion offense?" Rudy says "We can not run the offense properly with key personnel hurt." Always full of excuses and the Rocket fans have blinders over their eyes and believe everything.

If I have a puppy and I tell him not to go in the garden and he does and I do nothing about it, he will keep going no matter what. Even if I get more flowers and make it look beautiful he will still go into the garden. The only way I can stop him from going into the garden is to train him not to go in it.

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Good God, the man has taken 15 shots.....15 shots! And he has made 5 turnovers...total. How on earth do we know anything about him yet!?!?!?

9. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am really happy about the national and international attention that is being brought to Rudy's handling of this team and Ming. I am not really taking anything away from Wink or Mobes since I think it is all on Rudy as of now. I do not like his handling of Ming and Nachbar. Probably the most efficient rocket play of the season to date is one including Nachbar and Ming. A simple pick and roll with Nachbar hitting a wide open jump shot. We have not see that since. Despite how good Hawk has been, his relatively heavy minutes cannot come at the expense of Nachbar. This team has shown it does not have a defensive problem. If anything it has had an offensive problem including shooting. That could be from poor ball movement, just bad shooting or both. Anyway, Ming and Nachbar are probably two of our best shooters outside of Wink and Mobes. In a situation where Rice, Tmo, and KT were out, I still cannot see why Nachbar was left on the bench especially when Mobes and Wink have proven to be so dominant.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

What position did Achebe the Great play?

Was he that 5'4" point guard from Beaumont?

11. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

yeah i thought i was the only person who thinks that steve and cuttino shoot the ball too damn much. barkley and kenny smith are right. its just that there are too many francise and mobley dick riders on this message forum. mobley and franchise arent the only players on this damn team. teamwork and defense wins games. damn how many times do i have to stress this to houston rocket clutch zombies.:rolleyes:

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think I'd like the idea of being on any Side B...especially with #33.

btw, Achebe the Great...when is the last time you saw a Rockets game??? Did wifey really allow you to buy League Pass, because I seriously doubt that the Mormon Bartendernackles would allow you to change the channel to ISO basketball. Isn't that outlawed in Utah.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why the Mormon reference?

14. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Sheesh, it ain't that bad. At least your selfish PG can actualkly play basketball. Imagine him running down the court front rimming everything after a season in which Yao Ming averaged 17 and 9. Pau Gasol is scoring over 20 a game and I can tell you he STILL does not get the ball enough.

I think one of the problems the RRocket's players and fans need to understand is Franchise ain't John Stockton. Franchis is the team (like it or not). The rest of the Rocket's, and I don't give a damn how good they think they are, should concentrate on moving without the ball, setting picks, and crashing the boards. WTF do you want, Eddie Griffin taking more shots. It is like in Jordan's early years, yeah Horace Grant was good but damn if Jordan is on his team he better set a pick and look for scraps.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

On my ideal team, everyone scores once before anyone scores twice. And it's the 2nd Q. at earliest for PG to score. That was Magic for years with Lake Show.

That said, give me Stevie any day of the week. He should follow the Magic Man's mantra, yes, but unless and until that day, I want Steve Francis here and standing tall with THE T R O P H Y in his arms!

16. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Isn't it funny if some one makes those exact comments in here its:

"Stevie Bashing"
    "Mobley Haters" or
    "Rudy Bashing"

But if some one on TV makes the comments, its a little more accepted. It is getting old, and it will not get better before some major changes are made.

There is no veteran leadership, and there is no one to get in the face of players that are not executing (if indeed that is why we have not seen the legendary "5 man").

17. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

They are both right on! They both need to pass the damn ball more that's all i ask as a fan...do you see what happens if they get everybody involved? (See first quarter of the Sonics game).

If they are great scorers, which they are, you should let the shots come to them and get your teamates involved first. They must trust their teamates and play unselfishly. This is the key on how we do this year...

I knew this is going to be a huge problem...The good thing is that they are becoming a little more unselfish each and every game this year...

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Was I talking to you? Are you now the bystander PC Police?

19. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I'm shocked many people here aren't flaming Kenny and Chucky...some people here said exactly the same things before the sonics game and got called all kinds of names.

20. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Crashing the boards is good, but setting picks and moving without the ball is pretty much a waste of time, since Steve doesn't know how to use a screen and mostly doesn't care about open teammates. He's too occupied taking what the defense is giving him, which is succombing to cross-overs.