1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley Criticizes Carter on All-Stars

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BobFinn*, Feb 5, 2003.

1. LLJ

LLJ Member

Carter didn't give it to Jordan because he felt it was the right thing to do, and frankly, I don't think he wanted to--this game DOES mean something to him. VC has never taken the easy PR route (as you can see by the number of PR gaffes he's made) and whatever people think of him as a player, he tends to be a guy who stands by certain personal principles, and gets burned by it.

I think Vince is a really poor media manipulator, but I think he is right this time, and I'm proud of him for standing up to the Jordan is a God" circus. Last year's All-Star game had everyone practically tripping over themselves praising Jordan's accomplishments. VC should provide some interesting intrigue for this game...

2. James23

James23 Member

carter does deserve the criticism. it's a disgrace if he plays in the game and not yield the spot for jordan.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If he was to "yield" his spot it should be for Stackhouse anyways. Not Jordan.

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

A summary of Carter criticism:

1) Yeah, but all he does is dunk!

VC works incredibly hard on his shot, develops to the point where he is amongs the better 3 pt shooters in the game...

2)Yah, but all he does is shoot outside.

Carter often defers to his teammates...

3) Carter needs more of the killer instinct..The real stars DEMAND the ball! He's not enough of THE MAN!

Carter starts to demand the ball, although still far less than the Iversons and Jordans of the world, but a noticable increase..

4) What a ball hog! Not a team player!

Carter is off to a terrific start, hurts knee, tries to play through it...

5) He stinks..he can barely move out there...he's really regressed...

Then it comes out that Carter will skip the slamdunk, due to his knee..

6) What an ass! PU$$Y! No respect for the fans...

Then it is revealed that he is hurt, sits out, and the raps go on a losing streak...

7) What a wimp...look what he's costing his team...Iverson would be in playing..Carter is soft...

It gets ridiculous ( 8 in a row) so Carter, against medical advice, comes back and tries to salvage the season...on one leg. As such, his plays very poorly, and the Raptors continue to lose...

8) What an idiot! WHy is he risking his future to try and be tough...he can't play right now. Get him out...

The Raps head office step in say you are hurting yourself, you will sit. Carter, reluctantly, sits, and is told he needs surgery...

9) He is such a wimp! Sitting it out when his teammates need him most! S O F T !

The team, rid of the distraction of trying to play with a one legged star, goes on a winning streak...

10) See..they're better without him! Who needs him...he's a stiff!
    He doesn't have enough fire! he's soft, and he seems to take the game lightly, laughing it off when they lose...He doesn't have the heart, or the guts...or the cahones.

After sitting out half a year with a bad knee, Carter boldly declares that he has been taking names, speaks with fire and attitude, and says that he believes that if he reaches hs true potential, he could be better than Jordan...

11) What a jerk! WHat right does he have to compare himself with Jordan? He should sit back and be quiet...what balls this guy has to say somewthing stupid like that...sheesh..

Then he comes back, plays team oriented ball, but his knee is giving him problems, and the docs say he's gotta sit...He says he's fine to play, and even packs his bag to go to the game, but the officials overrule him, and he's shut down, and told to unpack...

12) Can you say WIMP!?!? This guy is as tough as my old nanny, and even she might be tougher...Will never be the player that he could have, if he'd only had some guts...

Then it comes out that Carter is really peeved about having to sit, wants to get out there and play, is frustrated with organization for being too cautious.....

13)Carter wants out of Toronto! What a disloyal jerk!

The team, without Carter, sinks to the second lowest record in the NBA...Finally Carter comes back, his team wins 4 of 5 games, he's scoring at a rate which would be roughly 35 ppg if he played his normal minutes, the Raps beat Indiana, Sacramento,and the Clippers. What's everyone want to talk about? the turnaround? The big wins (mostly blowouts) over good teams? Nope...Carter was also elected by the fans ( who the NBA has decided SHOULD decide who starts) to start...Carter is told that other players have offered to let MJ start in their stead..Carter says my 1st loyalty is to the fans who voted for me.

14) What an ass! What a selfish jerk! He just doesn't get it...Man, what an idiot...

Charles Barkley, the master of NBA decorum comes out and says he should have...He says that the process shouldn't be a popularity contest, and it is somehow Vince Carter's fault that it is...The night before they play each other Ray Allen says that Carter should have, and this will rightfully tarnish his entire career...Carter goes out, scores 25 points in 28 minutes, and blocks Allen's last second game tying shot...What are people still talking about!?!?

15) What an ass! Barkley is right! This shouldn't be a popularity contest!Why is he playing?!?!? Jordan is the best player ever..

Ironically Jordan, with whom Carter does not get along( after Jordan has repeatedly offered unsolicited criticism of Carter when VC was getting all the attention, even though Carter was consistently very respectfull and nice to MJ, and asked repeatedly not to be compared to him)....even after that, Jordan said the most telling comment " It's a catch 22...If he sits out, some fans will be upset with him..."In other words, it's gotten to the point where people have decided that VC is a guy you just want to bash, come hell or high water, and whatever he does, literally even when he does nothing, he's gonna get bashed for it...Take a look at the criticism he's had so far..it's hypocracy, idiocy, innacuracy, and just the amount of it...and it's almost all undeserved. I do agree that he didn't give it much on defense at times, but that has changed..and I'm not sure why he was at a Nelly concert, I didn't like that, but it wasn't a big deal...oh, and in an age when we are always preaching education first, have NBA players doing Stay In School ads, VC gets raked over the coals for going to his graduation instead of sitting in his hotel room before a playoff game in a series in which, like the entire year, he carried them on his back...What absolute hypocrites...

This weird American thing we have about building a guy right up, and then immediately trying to tear him down is idiotic, and Carter is just the latest example...He's a nice guy, an otherwordly player who has consitently worked to improve since coming in the league ( outside shot..check...get team to win...check...handle...check...defense...check...) and when healthy he is as good and exciting a player as you'll see, who suffers from the fact that he is a 1 man team, and that teams just focus on stopping/pounding him...But all anyone wants to do these days is bash bash bash...I don't get it.

#24 MacBeth, Feb 5, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  5. carayip

carayip Member

If so many people want to watch MJ, why didn't they just vote him in??? :confused:

And Vince's undeserving of starting but then he should give his spot to another undeserving player (i.e. MJ)??? :confused:

6. carayip

carayip Member

Please check the dictionary. "Star" doesn't mean the best. "Star" means famous person who people recognize and know. Right now people recognize and like Vince Carter more than Michael Jordon and Ray Allen among others as evident by the voting results. MJ has accepted this fact. Other people should do too.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly. . .
    I mean hell if Jennifer Lopez was on the ballor
    She Might have been the East's Starting shooting Guard

Rocket River

8. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

MacBeth....great post!

9. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

By the way,

From Carter's web site:

A bit hokey, but he seems to take his all-star appearance very personally....maybe the all-star voting was the one thing that lifted his spirits up despite his injury and all the media criticism, and he wants to show his appreciation.

10. LLJ

LLJ Member

Bang. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

vince carter is a good player. i don't think he's a great player. i can see him being a reserve on the all-star team if he were healthy and performing, but he isn't and hasn't been.

as to him not offering his spot to MJ, that bothers me since i sincerely doubt he'd have been voted in were it not for the fact that a couple seasons ago the NBA were all but billing him as the new MJ.

i'm actually afraid he's not going to end up washed up at this point and that's a shame because he is an incredible athlete, but if i'm totally honest that doesn't bother me so much as it might ordinarily would because i've met him on several occasions and i'll just say i didn't leave the situation a fan of vince carter as a person.

12. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Why what happened?

13. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

Vince is a Known D!Ck...
    he is very rude, he doesnt care about the fans, why was he voted in ? THis guy won't sign an autograph!
    Regardless! he just flat out wont! no one likes vince carter! and only reason hes even in the all star game is cuz the people in canada have nothing better to do than fill out all star ballots... Heck even Grant Hill was up there in votes before he went down..
    VC does not care about fans, and i have heard many storys of people who met him, people who interviewed him for 30 minutes then asked if they could get a sig for there little boy and he Says he doesnt have time... THen waits for the check to come...
    This guys an ass!
    just like macbeth said, and doesnt deserve 2 be in the game, point blank

14. LLJ

LLJ Member

Vince was signing autographs here just a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you should stop listening to stories and start taking into account reality.

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

What did I say, exactly?

16. courtside

courtside Member

Vince, like Shaq, has an exclusive "autograph contract" with one of the card companies. Just because some 15 year old spitwad wants his autograph, it doesn't make him a "known d!ck" for not giving it to you. I've seen you spew this same crap over and over and you just don't listen. Vince doesn't sign autographs unless it is specifically pre-arranged - that's his deal. If you're nice, one of his "handlers" will glady give you a pre-signed, specially printed VC card.

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i read the ppost of macbeth again, and a what point did he say that???? i thought he was positive about carter.

btw nice post Macbeth, i agree completly