1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley - Chris Paul kicking Houston's butt would be the greatest thing I've seen in a long time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That series, if it was actually played in home arenas, would be CRAAAAAAZY. I think it's a more difficult matchup for the Rockets. Is Andre Roberson coming back?

I think the Rockets would win, but if they lost to OKC in year one after giving up all those pick obligations for Westbrook, it would be devastating.

Deckard, s3ts, HewbieTrippin and 6 others like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

devastating is a stretch. I really love draft picks but I think people overestimate their value in this trade when you factor in this team isn’t missing the playoffs for the next 5 years absent Harden having a year long injury. They are going to be 20+ picks.

more than that, if they play OKC and lose it’s probably more a blessing in disguise.

Like when they made it to the WCF with Dwight. A first round loss that year would have more likely led to a Dwight trade for legit value and a McHale earlier firing.

better to know it won’t work if it won’t work.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

1st round draft picks aren't overestimated when talking about how they are significantly useful when you're looking to upgrade your roster, especially when you're capped out. And these days so many teams are continuing their build, that there's always going to be great value in them. Rather than hoping for multiple min guys going in and out constantly, barely hanging onto life in the league to go to war with when the lights start shining brightest.

#43 YOLO, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Zoplicone likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

roberson has reportedly been doing some level of practice but it doesn't mean he'll be playing. from what i've seen they're very happy and surprised how Lu Dort is coming along playing that role in limited minutes

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Naw, man. Soul-crushing, humiliating, catastrophic... Devastating is not a stretch

6. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Could very well happen. Rockets got clowned in OKC this season. And don't forget the 40 point 4th quarter the Rockets choked away at home.

tycoonchip likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah I get it. I love draft picks myself. And you can get some great players in the 20s. Not a high probability but it happens. Heck Clint turned into RoCo.

but you have to give to get and folks can say what they want about Russ inability to shoot or CP3s “leadership”.... but you weren’t getting Russ for CP3.

Two of the picks were swaps. If OKC wants to swap yeah it’ll suck because they had a better record then us then... but that’s not super likely for 2021. 2025 who knows. But in either case they still have picks cause it’s just a swap. 2024 and 2026 are pretty far into the future.

it sucks, it was a slight overpay but it is what it is.

and at this point... no one here really thinks we’d lose to the thunder in the playoffs right? I mean I’d assume more here still think they’re more likely to win a ring then lose to the thunder in the playoffs.

cause CP3s leadership still historically involves him never playing more than 13 games in a postseason... EXCEPT the one year he happened to be the second best player next to James Harden. This break really should help him. He just wears down over an nba season and playoffs.

But I get we’re talking about a hypothetical.

I can see how many would view it that way and frame it as such.

personally I’ve always been championship or bust mentality when it’s a roster that has those aspirations. So I don’t care if they lose to the thunder, clippers, lakers, nuggets or whomever. I care that they lose.

very specific to this team they’re trying to do something fairly unique. I get the Warriors essentially played small ball to be dominant but they did so still with generally taller/bigger small ball front court players.

to me this is a test of whether this style can work.

if they lose to the thunder or ANY team in the first round it implies maybe not. If they lose in a hard fought WCF that’s a different story.

just my feel. Never mind the weirdness of the covid environment.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Chris Paul couldn't beat Harden with Dwight lol.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Barkley rustling our jimmies.

[​IMG]

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TMac first round exit level bad

DreamShook likes this.
  11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Losing to OKC would be the biggest L Morey has ever taken. You traded a guy, who you claim was old & overpaid, only for THAT SAME GUY to come back & eliminate you out the postseason. Harden also takes his biggest L

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I would probably throw my Rockets fandom in the trash and reup in 5 years. Half a decade is what it would take to rehab a playoff OKC defeat. I'm getting heart palpitations just thinking about it.

If we thought the shots lillard took to end the Houston and OKC playoff runs were bad; they would rerun that CP3 OKC playoff series until the end of time.

HewbieTrippin and tinman like this.
  13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If we lose to OKC in any round.....
    Blow it up!!!!!

14. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

i obviously don't want this to happen but it would be comical

it would be ironic to trade cp3 for westbrook and then get kicked out of the playoffs by cp3

please don't happen

15. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

you're welcome

[​IMG]

fchowd0311, s3ts, fattz and 7 others like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. Barkley is like DaDakota. Whoever he likes will suck.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JSmoove and Brewer.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where is 51 Corey?

Easy likes this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

A loss to the Thunder would mean Tilman blows it up this year.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many picks have they got in total?

Must be 10 to 15 in the next years.