1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley and Sports Guy dismiss ROX on podcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidkconover, Oct 25, 2007.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

and actually, the year we acquired Stromile Swift, Barkley predicted us to be the second best team in the west, but we all know how that year went. so really, stop hating on barkley.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for people who hate barkley,
    they are surely are up to date on what he says. now i know why TNT gets so much ratings. The haters just have to tune in.

3. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

I wasn't hating on Barkley (or the Sports Guy) when I posted the link that started this thread. I was just pointing it out.

I think they are both pretty funny and good at what they do (which is entertain more than predict).

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Great interview. Love getting 44 minutes of Barkley, and Simmons is always good for some laughs. I always pick the Rockets to win it all, but I can certainly understand someone that thinks a team that
    *got beat in the first round and;
    *fired its GM and Coach and;
    *bought in half a new roster and;
    *may start 2 players that weren't on the team last year
    is not one of the favorites to win the title. I can also understand that with everyone and their mother picking the Rockets as a "sleeper" (which makes no sense, if everyone is picking them that means no one is sleeping on them) if you dismiss them you will either be able to say that they overachieved if they win, or look how much smarter we were than everyone else if they lose.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know why anyone cares about presesaon predictions.

Even people who watch a lot of basketbal very closely can't predict the future since there are just way too many variables at play here. Just give it time and stop acting all aggrieved.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

to his credit simmons apologized and said he was an idiot for saying such a thing and wrote a very pro-yao article afterwards eating crow unlike another espn duke-loving "analyst"

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

nice summary Stupid

plus this team will still only go as far its two superstars take us and more importantly how healthy they are

love the barkley quote "the average (and most) basketball fans don't know much about basketball"

#47 SmeggySmeg, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn, tinman. I am a "group 1" guy, gone through two Finals losses to the Celtics in the 80s, one with Moses, the other with the Twin Towers, and all the painful Choke City years. And I am with you most of the times about the past.

But this is so wrong. T-Mac didn't have faith in his teammates so he jacked up shots? What teammates? You think he wouldn't have had faith in guys like Dream's teammates?

If anything, T-Mac, like Garnett, is often faulted for trusting his teammates too much and not willing to take over games.

You might be an expert of the past. Your view about the present is warped.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So we added:

1) A new coach
    2) A second rounder that have not played a NBA regular season game
    3) A shoot first point guard that was ran out of the last 2 cities he played in.
    4) Another shoot first point guard that was ran out of the last 2 cities he played in.
    5) A rookie that probably would not see playing time

It's all about perspectives. On paper the Rockets look great. We solidified the point and Scola looks like he got game. We addressed our two weak spots. But to contend for a championship, we have to ask ourselves how much better were we compared to the team that lost to the fourth seed last year.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Respect is earned -- get out of the first round Rockets 07 and earn it.

11. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

I guarantee you that Barkley is making his prediction based on him watching the Rockets lose to the Grizz when Lowry got him a triple double.

He always goes with the front runner anyway.

12. ansarisu

ansarisu Contributing Member

We were TWO games from the NBA Finals. TWO games. You're a Jazz fan.

13. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

There's also the group that thinks that Drexler was on both Championship teams...

14. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

All there is for me to say about prognosticators not picking the Rockets to win the NBA Title this upcoming season is that it is difficult for anyone to count on a team to really shine all of a sudden that hasn't even won a playoff series for the past 10 seasons in spite of all the big player acquisitions that were made and a coaching change that many believe will be helpful as well.

I believe that Charles Barkley and Charley Rosen are among those prognosticators who find it hard to really count on great things from the Rockets for the reason I just mentioned let alone the fact that most of the players the Rockets have also haven't won a playoff series in their entire careers.

When the regular season starts, then IT'S TIME to throw ALL of the preseason prognostications out the window and PLAY THE GAMES!!! Afterall, they are only won on the court.