1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barbershop question (hair not movie or gay p*rn)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Jan 14, 2006.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Let me preface this by saying that I have NEVER received a good haircut in my LIFE.

The biggest problem is this: My barber never gets my sides right.

I usually get a #2 shave on the sides. I want the shave to be a gradual fade--a smooth transition that is not too noticeable.

Instead, my barber frequently give me a bowl cut! He would give me a #2 shave on the bottom half of the sides, but he never bothers to make the transition between the shaved bottom part and the longer hair on top. It looks like someone just slapped a bowl on my head and started shaving.

I can never explain this "transition" concept well to any barber. Am I missing some secret barbershop term for this?

What are some of your problems with your barber/hairstylist? ;)

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I think people refer to that cut a lot of times simply as a "fade cut"

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

if ur chinese, he might be just stereotyping u.

Or u can be like me and go to Toni and Guy and throw a 50 down every 2 weeks.

4. vwiggin

Yes, I think I am asking for a "fade cut," but it is a much longer version of the kind that most young people get. For most fade cuts, the young guys (at my barbershop it is mostly blacks, Latinos, and Asians) ask for fade cuts that show the skin:

[​IMG]

I want that "fade effect" too, but I'm looking to start off from a 2 (which shows no or little skin).

That is a very good point. I am asian and a lot of asians do get that bowl look. :)

5. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

well i go to an "african american" barbershop because the haircut there is perfect for me...from what i know its called a "taper" but with my barber i think hes so talented that if you just tell him how you want it he will do it and perfect it for you. and the equipment is clean and its only 10 bucks including any facial cutting that he does...

6. vwiggin

$10 for a great cut? YOu lucky dog. :)

I'd skip the facial, tough. :eek:

7. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

That's nothing that I've had to ask for...it's just done. I always ask for a #2 on the sides and to trim it down a bit on the top and it usually comes out fine. I NEVER have any trouble with the sides, if there's anything wrong it's usually because they took to much off the top.

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

What's the connection between barbershop and gay pr0n?

9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

$7 bucks and a dollar tip baby. Wonderfull job, i might add

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Plus you can pick up a couple blunts while you're there. ;)

11. vwiggin

My barber sells pirated DVDs. :D

Coma, I sometimes run across barbershop websites that look completely normal... and then while I'm surfing through it, suddently I'll find some weird story about guys getting it on at the barbershop. :confused:

12. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Harry Potter can see no connection.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Apparently some ppl are getting happy ending from barbershops.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

2..99 and no tips...

god i love houston...

it was 13 plus tips up in VA...

15. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

I've seen those shops around town but i always wondered....can u actually request a certain cut? or do they just cut it the way they please?
    and why is it only 2.99 there must be a catch :eek:

16. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Stop using clippers. Asian hair tends to stick straight out and a clipper cuts the hair at an angle that excentuates that.
    Use scissors only, a good barber stylist can get the equivalent of a 3 or better with the scissors and the hair tends to lay better making the gradual look easier to achieve and maintain.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

That pic is of a bald fade (no guard). If you forget to tell the haircutter a number they will assume that is what you want. If you want a gradual fade starting with a 2, tell them. That is what I get. I also like a textured top for spiking.

18. vwiggin

Great stuff, Mulder, Smokey. :)

Mulder, that is good advice. Are all barbers willing to do this, though? Doesn't scissors only take a lot more time and energy? (I only pay $15 including tip for my cut).

Smokey, I might give that a try next time, thanks!

So guys, is taper the same as a fade? What is the difference? :confused:

19. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I go to TGF and they do it and that's a chain that charges $12.xx. I usually just give them a 20 and tell them to keep the change. I have never had a complaint that it takes too long.

20. vwiggin

$20 is worth it for a good haircut. So what do you say? Do you say "fade the sides but use scissors only please"?

I've been to expensive hair salons once that charged me like $35 per hair cut (it was for a job interview) and they still tried to use clippers on my sides. Of course, I didn't know that was a "scissors only" option at the time. :D