1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BandWagon Hopped Like Nutty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Dec 9, 1999.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

(For you newbies, my title would take forever to explain. And it won't be as funny. But it has everything to do with this post.)

Back in the day, I thought Charles was the Anti-Christ of basketball. I was so happy when Jordan waxed his behind in 1993. Then Dream came along and destroyed any hopes that he was going to win a ring in 1994 and 1995.

I loved it. Then he became a Rocket.

I started blaming him for everything that happened bad to the Rockets. Many of you who have been around know that I hated his guts. He was right up there with Pippen now and Malone/Stockton always. Then, 1997-1998 came. And Dream had surgery on his knees. We barely made the playoffs. But it was because of Chucks relentless play that year that the Rocks had any chance at all most nights. I think that Barkley got his heart in Houston. I never saw him play like that until he became a Rocket. And that year, he kept the ship afloat.

Do you remember having the Jazz on the ropes? Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. But, there is no way you can convince me that if Charles would of not gone down with the torn tricep, the Jazz would not of fell to the Rockets once again. Charles was the glue that year.

His unselfish act gave the Rockets enough cap room to get Quitten. At the time, I thought it was a match made in heaven. Charles gave up what most athletes never do: MONEY. With that move, Charles showed me that he is serious about winning. And he went out and had a hell of a year.

Relentless.

And again, he was the heart that pumps the blood through the Rockets. Pippen turned on him. Charles turned the other cheek. Again, he did something that impressed me.

This year, he was mentor and guide to our future franchise. He adjusted his game to fit new rules and fit a new style of play. Again, he was flourishing. To me, that impressed me because it showed me how smart Charles is. Playing the same way for 20 years, then changing and still succeeding shows adaptability and talent. Charles had impressed me again.

When I saw him last night at the press conference, I couldn't help but to think about MJ. Nolan Ryan and yes, Karl Malone. What they have in common is that they are freaks of nature. These athletes are that particular breed that even when they age, they age gracefully, and skills diminish slower than most. We are seeing two of the all-time greats age right before our eyes. Barkleys fall happens all the time. But, that little extra gene that would of allowed the above athletes to be out a couple of days was not built into Charles. And now, we have seen the end of one era.

What Charles did for the NBA is beyond words. He was unique physically. He was unique mentally. Never again will 6 feet and change lead a league in rebounds. Trust me. Won't happen.

Most of all, what Charles gave to the Rockets should never be forgotten. His loyalty and commitment to our team and our city is unique. His will to win was underestimated by many...including myself. If Olajuwon is considered the soul of this organization, then I say Charles is the heart the lives in it. In 4 years, he has earned my respect, my admiration, my loyalty and my love. I wish that the Rockets feel the same and retire his number 4. I think he deserves it for all the blood and sweat he gave to this team. He deserves it for giving his last remaining years to us. He deserves it because, without him, this team would have no heart. Hopefully, Dream can come back and lead like he did before. But it will be difficult.

I hated Charles. Now, I bandwagon-hopped like nutty right onto the Chuckwagon. He has earned my respect to the fullest. I am gonna miss him. Damn, this team will not be the same without him on the floor.

Here's to the future...

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited December 09, 1999).]

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Almu-
    Great post- he added fans as he went from Philly-Phoenix-Houston.

Good Luck Charles!

3. SaluteCharles

SaluteCharles Member

Excellent, Almu. I wasn't a fan of Chuck's till he came here also. Each city he was in loved him I think. You get to know the real person more than the person he sometimes generates for the media.

We miss you already, Chuck.

Sad day(s) in Houston. Get well soon.