1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Band of Brothers - Pacific Theatre

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nashvegas, Jul 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I loved the BOB minseries. I own it, and have seen it probably 8 times. I just finished watching it again and started googling to find out more about the people involved and I stumbled across this on wikipedia. Not sure if this is old news or not, but I thought I'd pass it on.

DreamWorks has confirmed that a new 10-part miniseries from the creators of Band of Brothers (Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman), called The Pacific, is in development.The new miniseries will focus on the Pacific Theater. The project is due out in 2009, although this is subject to change.

Also I found out that it follows the lives of 3 marines, and those guys have already been cast.

James Dale, Chase from 24
    Joseph Mazello, that little kid from Jurassic Park
    Val Lauren, somebody I've never heard of.

That was according to IMDB.

I can't wait.

#1 Nashvegas, Jul 14, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Good stuff. I saw the whole series one time, and it was really, really good.

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I've managed to never catch this, although I know lots of people who really love this series. Is the style like Saving Private Ryan or something else altogether?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

R U sure?

Because the project has been off and on again so many times.......

I love B.o.B....best war series ever..........

DD

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"The Pacific" has completed casting and is set to begin production in Australia for the next 8 months or so.

Keith Nobbs from The Black Donnellys has been added to the cast as the character of "Runner"

you heard it here first

6. DaDakota

2009? Dang that is a long time...they will be finished in about 8 months then it will all be down to editing.......

Has HBO picked it up? Where will it be broadcast?

Also, we need some links in this thread...please.

DD

7. across110thstreet

trust me... the casting process is complete and you will see more about this project starting in the next two weeks

it will play on HBO in the third quarter of 2009 (Fall).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i527c53d15a771eece5bfc6afe478bbba
    Variety reports on a deal with HBO and Swedish television
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117967744.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-hbothepacificcasting,0,7206965.story

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it is shot in a style similar to saving private ryan - grainy looking and lots of shaky camera action sequences. i think it is a much better movie though - there are quite a few battle scenes that are every bit as intense as the d-day landing at the beginning of spr. actually, there are whole episodes that are every bit as intense as the d-day landing in spr.

it will suck you in - you will watch one or two episodes and then end up doing nothing else for a day or two but watching the whole series.

best war movie ive ever seen.

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

my grandpa was in WW2 and said it was the most realistic series he had ever seen so it should be good.

10. DaDakota

The two best series I have ever watched where I got sucked in and could not stop watching were Band of Brothers and Firefly...

DD

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

same here - we had to practically force/beg him to watch it - he was very reluctant, but afterwards said he thought it was the best, most realistic war movie he ever saw.

my grandpa was actually shot in the gut crossing the rhine on march 24, 1945 - 30 years to the day before i was born. he never made it across - so when i was in europe a couple years ago i was in cologne for a couple days - walked across the rhine and had a beer. i was going to smash the beer glass when i was done while singing the star spangled banner, but i chickened out and just stole the glass instead.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I watch the series anytime it's on (typically on Memorial Day weekend on A&E and occasionally HBO). For those of you that like it, check out "Beyond Band of Brothers" written by Maj. Dick Winters. It shows you how realistic the series was and gives you more insight into this fantastic leader of men.

I can't wait for the new series. I hope it's as well done as the original.

13. professorjay

Thanks. Just finished watching the first episode. Very engaging, and does have a similar feel to Saving Private Ryan (which is a good thing). The nice thing with a series is you get more time to expound on the less dramatic moments.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I agree. Those and Battlestar Galactica which I just watched all three seasons of in the last month. Great storytelling.

15. DaDakota

You will never look at David Schwimmer the same again !!

CURAHEE !!!!

DD

16. professorjay

Man, you aren't kidding. I couldn't help but feel comical about the first few minutes, but he broke the typecast well here.

17. DaDakota

Wait until the end of the series......I was literally clapping - you will know what I mean.

DD

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I love band of brothers. Sadly I haven't finished it yet. Guess I'll do that now. I still have 2 episodes left.

19. Curly

Curly Member

Yea, that was good turn.

I got tin box set as a gift when it first came out, and that was after I watched the series on HBO. I've watched it a couple of times since then as well. Hank's really does his research and gets it right, or at least when I believe would be pretty damn close.

I compare "brothers" and "ryan" to "Apollo 13" and "earth to the moon". Both to me were outstanding works. Earth to the Moon is also fantastic if you haven't seen it. I was in some classes with Tom Hayes when I was a kid before they moved away (Tom was represented by the big belly in the movie as he hadn't quite hatched when Appollo 13 went up). Fred came to our class one day in 5th grade for "show and tell" and told us about the whole thing...needless to say the rest of the kids stuff didn't quite match up to that.

Both of these series were very well done and I highly recommend them. My father was a 35 year NASA engineer involved with all of the missions during his time there and he told me that Hanks was pretty much dead on from what he remembered.

I can't wait to see what this new one is going to bring to the table. He's set my standard really high and I expect that it will not fall short.

20. across110thstreet

for immediate release
    Aug 7, 2007

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/the-pacific-070807.html