1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ban Fireplaces You Selfish Smokies - cough cough

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HayesStreet, Jun 28, 2006.

1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Woodburning
    April 2000

Why is Woodburning an Air Pollution Problem?
    What Are the Health Effects?
    What Are the Solutions?

WHY IS WOODBURNING AN AIR POLLUTION PROBLEM?

In most areas of the country, woodburning from fireplaces and woodstoves is the largest source of particulate matter air pollution (PM) generated by residential sources. In some localities, fireplaces and woodstoves have been identified as the source of 80% or more of all ambient particles smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter (PM2.5) during the winter months. A large body of evidence links PM with adverse health outcomes, including excess mortality, especially among those with preexisting cardiopulmonary illness.

Fireplaces and woodstoves, and even special equipment such as wood pellet combustors and EPA Phase II Certified woodstoves, produce orders of magnitude more particulate matter than well-tuned oil or gas devices producing equivalent heat. Moreover, woodstoves routinely produce several times more air pollutants than original design values simply because of improper operation (including their misuse as incinerators for residential refuse), maintenance, and normal equipment degradation with use.

In addition to particulate matter, woodsmoke emissions contain components such as carbon monoxide; various irritant gases such as nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrochloric acid, and formaldehyde; and chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and dioxin.

Monitoring of airborne particulate matter and PAH levels in many residential areas across the country shows that exposure to these pollutants is consistent with the use pattern of residential wood combustion. The sites studied are far from industrial sources and the times of maximum pollutant levels do not correlate with local traffic activity. Outdoor PAH levels in such residential areas have reached 2 micrograms per cubic meter during holiday evenings - comparable to the maximum recorded PAH concentrations in secondhand tobacco smoke.

Studies have also shown that people using woodburning devices to heat their homes can be routinely exposed to excessive levels of fine particulate matter in their indoor air.

WHAT ARE THE HEALTH EFFECTS?

Findings from animal studies demonstrate a reduction in disease resistance associated with woodsmoke exposure. Woodsmoke exposure can disrupt cellular membranes, depress immune system activity, damage the layer of cells that protect and cleanse the airways, and disrupt enzyme levels.

The health effects of woodsmoke exposure include increased respiratory symptoms, increased hospital admissions for lower respiratory infections, exacerbation of asthma, and decreased breathing ability. Population studies have shown that young children, the elderly, and people with preexisting cardiopulmonary disease are most likely to be affected.

As a major contributor to particulate matter air pollution, woodsmoke can also be linked directly with a variety of other particulate matter-associated health effects, including increased risks of school absenteeism, emergency room visits and hospitalizations for cardiopulmonary conditions and premature death.

WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS?

The American Lung Association recommends that individuals avoid burning wood in homes where less polluting heating alternatives are available. The use of the least-polluting alternative heating methods and cleaner technologies should be promoted to provide useful heat, while minimizing any adverse health effects.

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=23354

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am afraid of you. Now in three steps or fewer show me how burning wood can lead to nuclear war.

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Wood burning increases pollution.

Iranians burn wood.

Bush doesn't doesn't like Iran.

Kaboom!

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

lol :cool:

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Step 1) Wood burns

Step 2) Nuclear bombs burn things

Step 4) Profit

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

You dirty capitalist!!!!!!

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

My TWO fireplaces in my cabin on two acres in the woods never hurt anybody.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

You b*stard. What about tree frogs and....stuff!

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

He just gave the frogs free Budweiser to shut them up.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

They like it! In fact two weekends ago I found a two foot grass snake curled up in the fireplace in the bedroom.

I'm not kidding…

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

You better watch out if one of those snakes tries to get you to eat an apple.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

We could try that with Sam and some of the others in the smoking thread!

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Yeah but probably not when you were BURNING WOOD, smarty pants.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I got one of those wrought-iron outdoor fireplaces. They rule. I love making fires.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Absolutely, beer solves everything.

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

But wait...don't we want to ban beer? It makes some people loud talkers and I can't go enjoy a bar with loud talkers all around me. I have a right to go into a bar and not have loud talkers and their noxious noise, right?

17. hkomives

hkomives Member

Your crusade to ban everthing is quite admirable. That is why I need your opinion this one.

I watched a TV program recently on luxury yachts and an interesting fact surfaced. They banned open flame cooking on board for fear of fires. I was wondering would it be wise to ban open-flame cooking in all homes as to cut down on fires and loss of lives?

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I hope you've been reading the smoking thread so you have all this in context. :)

Holy Cow! Open Flame cooking! The scourge of suburbia (and luxury yachts)! Ban it!

19. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Karl Malone would like to ban all golf courses because he thinks it is a waste of good cow pasture.

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

"I got an idea where we can put some low-cost housing...golf courses. [Golf is an] arrogant, elitist, racist game...I say it's time to reclaim that valuable land from the wealthy and turn it over to the homeless."
    ~ George Carlin