1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baltimore bridge collapse.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So now the fed government shouldn't rebuild the bridge because of immigrants. Sooner or later, it spills out.

It's a good time to remind everyone that immigrants are hard workers who undertake dangerous jobs that Americans typically avoid. In a Trump world, these individuals aren't regarded as people and shouldn't be here.

Details emerge on Baltimore bridge collapse victims: ‘They were wonderful family people’ | Baltimore bridge collapse | The Guardian

The six men presumed dead in the Baltimore bridge collapse on Tuesday all appeared to be construction workers originally from Latin American countries, according to reports, including a father of three, Miguel Luna, from El Salvador, as authorities said they had recovered the black box recorder from the ship.

Two of the victims were identified on Wednesday after their submerged pickup truck was recovered from the waters near the bridge. Authorities named them as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, originally from Mexico and living in Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, who was from Guatemala and living in Dundalk, Maryland.

The immigrant services non-profit We Are Casa confirmed that Luna, 49, had lived in Maryland for at least 19 years.

“He is a husband, a father of three, and has called Maryland his home for over 19 years,” its executive director, Gustavo Torres, said in a statement. Luna’s son Marvin told the Washington Post he knew his father was on the bridge but he had not heard of the tragedy until friends called him.

Another victim was named as Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval. Originally from Azacualpa in Honduras, 38-year-old Sandoval had lived in the US for the last 18 years, his brother Martín Suazo told CNN.

According to Suazo, Sandoval was married and had an 18-year old son and a five-year-old daughter. His brother added that Sandoval moved to the US for better opportunities and had launched his own maintenance business.

Jesús Campos, a construction worker, said he knew the missing crew members and that they were all from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Mexico. “It’s a difficult situation,” he said, speaking through a translator. “My friends were working on that bridge.”

Campos said the men all worked for the construction company, Brawner Builders, where he himself had worked for eight months – including on the overnight shift, until he was transferred to daytime hours one month ago.

He said the workers were low-income immigrants who used their wages to support family members in the US and abroad.

The contractor is based in Baltimore county, a senior executive said on Tuesday. “They were wonderful family people,” the executive, Jeffrey Pritzker, told the New York Times. “It’s just a very, very bad day.”

A crowdfunding campaign set up by the Latino Racial Justice Circle, a non-profit organization serving the Baltimore area, had raised over $47,000 for the victims’ families as of Wednesday afternoon. The funds will be distributed across the families and will be put towards basic needs including rent, groceries and utilities, the campaign said.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I doubt the US fed government is involved in NY State laws, but honestly, logic and reasoning doesn't matter. His point is simply to be anti-immigrants.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

1. Illegal immigrants should not get to jump the line in front of honest immigrants who are coming in legally through ports of entry.

2. We need to know who is coming into our country -- this is an obvious national security issue. 20,000+ Chinese have entered via the southern border in 2024 alone. Is Hamas coming over? Russians? We simply don't know because they aren't coming through ports of entry.

3. We love legal immigrants and their many contributions to the USA -- your transparent attempt to conflate illegal immigrants with legal immigrants shows your dishonesty and low integrity.

4. Most illegal immigrants ultimately end up taking jobs and funding resources away from the black community -- a key issue to watch in the 2024 election cycle. Many blacks in urban areas are very unhappy about this.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

#224 davidio840, Mar 28, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  5. davidio840

Yes, you’re exactly that LoL.

6. davidio840

That's the democratic way! Ask anyone living in poverty in a big city. Their leaders get funds and they never make it to the people that need them.

7. Nook

Nook Member

All I have learned from this thread is some people are blaming Mexican Jews for this accident…. and some others think it was a controlled demolition similar to the 9/11 tower falling.

To think I figured there wouldn’t be any real political discourse over a bridge in Baltimore being hit by a ship.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This isn’t true - I have lived in many places, some very red and some very blue… and there are pluses and minuses for both… but I can say that the benefits for poorest people in blue states are far better than red states. There is more help available.

We can discuss the negative things I have seen as a lawyer in major blue cities if you want - but on benefits for the very poor, blue states provide far more resources.

9. Buck Turgidson

mexican jewish space lasers, dude

10. Nook

Nook Member

They may ultimately end up paying for it - but it is likely to be tied up for years in court, and the bridge cannot wait that long.

11. Buck Turgidson

@basso is being a silly boy about this whole thing

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

I don’t know about lasers… but I do know there are Mexican Jew vampires…. and for some reason I’m okay with that.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. davidio840

I wasn’t referring to a blue vs red state per se. I mean that as in corruption is as rampant in inner cities as it is in redneck land. The population of said areas is important.

I’d agree a less populated area of rednecks would get their way easier than a significantly higher populated inner city with vastly differing cultures/ideologies. In other words, intergenerational poverty is far greater by population in a city vs the sticks.

When it comes to corruption, for example - South Chicago/Oak Lawn (HL Richards Bulldogs represent!) is no different than several areas of NY, LA, Houston, etc. All are Democratic areas with significantly more population. Thus, it has a greater impact on our poverty, education, etc. Which ultimately affects our political system, society, opinions, what have you.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

15. Buck Turgidson

Chupacabros?

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So then pass a bill that increases legal
    Immigration and also provides for more resources for vetting and border security.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So are you saying then we shouldn’t rebuild this bridge because Democrats are asking for funding to do so?

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

First to note there is no evidence that the people who died were here illegally. Second they were doing a needed job and one apparently they risked their lives to do so. Third, this goes to something that anyone who has worked in construction knows is that our construction industry is heavily dependent on immigrant labor. This should be even more true for Texas than it is for Maryland.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just curious, since you are an architect, what do you think is realistically the quickest time to rebuild a bridge like that, budget constraints aside?

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don’t work on these type of projects so can’t give a very informed answer. Looking at other projects such as the rebuilding of the I-35w bridge and Bay bridge projects can go relatively quickly using pre-engineered parts. Also since this is a rebuild of an existing project a lot of issues like soil and tidal conditions are known already. My guess is that they also won’t rebuild it exactly the same and will take advantage of current technology and design standards.

So a very rough guess would be it could be rebuilt in about 18 months. costs and political will are really focused possibly a year.