1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ball Don't Lie] Rockets Preview by KD

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrm, Oct 13, 2009.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Never mind him, he's just an antagonist with nothing better to do.

2. Pete the Cheat

Point forward guy?

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I find it amusing that the people who scream the loudest about how bad a writer KD is are the ones who couldnt get a job writing for sports sites if every other sports writer in the world all died at the same time.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You are over-confident! I didn't do it to hope to get a response! I am not a fan of you.

Whether we should post whole articles here, there is a controversal for a long time. I think it should be decided by the mobs. The mob deleted the article I posted. I think it is fine, and I should follow.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Most boards I know of there is an across-the-board restriction on posting full articles (for good reason). Posters here have a little more freedom to leech others' work. But if an author comes on here and requests their articles not be posted in full, you should honor that. It's part of being a responsible netizen. And Rockets2K, being an authority here, has made it clear that's what is expect of us.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

What is the purpose for you to say this?! I said it already, since the mob deleted the article, I think it's fine, and I will follow.

btw, I didn't know KD to came here to say that before. I am not a fan of KD, and haven't followed him. You are probably a fan of KD, and can remember every word that he said. But, I can't.

7. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

microphallus
    coccydynia
    ninnyhammer
    buncombe
    hircismus
    cacafuego

but not ****

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Moderators aren't called "the mobs". Perhaps you meant "the mods".

And, frankly, it shouldn't have to come from the mods. If an author says don't post his work in full, don't do it.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Tony Soprano should have editorial control?!

10. PointForward

PointForward Member

key word "request", not "demand" in what probably was the most outrageous profanity-laced tirade in the GARM's history. I'm pretty sure Mr. Dwyer lost not only my respect, but the respect of many members on this forum who appreciate what Clutch does for all of us to keep this site up and running and moderate it so perfectly that it's easily the best sports forum on the internet. I don't care if you're freaking Luis Scola, you don't come here with your condescending tone and unleash profanity laced tirades on members because they posted your article on a sports forum. If Mr. Dwyer was the big shot writer who doesn't care about the money (dumped SI for 1/4th of the salary etc), a few hundred clicks wouldn't bother him to a point where he comes on here dropping F bombs.

Plus people reserve the right to disagree and hold the opinion that what Kelly writes isn't of quality, such as those god-awful top-10 lists. They're usually subjective articles with little to no basketball insight or analysis, not exactly what I consider "quality" sports journalism. But then again I'm entitled to my own opinion and the same goes to you and to everyone else.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Since you pay attention to every word that I type, I see you as a fan of abc2007! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the correction!

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I don't support plagiarism or quoting entire articles, especially when it affects someone's livelihood. But when your livelihood depends on other basketball fans, a lot of whom frequent this site, it's hypocritical to walk around jarring with them over non basketball related matters, throwing out insults and talking in derogatory terms to whoever doesn't see things the same way you do. It's the hypocritical nature of your derogatory posts toward potential readers (as a sports journalist) that I wanted to point out... it's definitely increased over time. Could you imagine John Hollinger doing that? Or Ric Bucher? Chad Ford?

Here's a recent example... why would you come into a joke thread with all guns blazing? http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=175177&page=3&pp=20

Lol @ Rockets2k thinking everyone with an opinion is an aspiring journalist.

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm thinking 45 victories and barely miss the playoffs. We are going to suprise the east this year and play extremely hard every night. We took games off last year against Eastern conference teams. Except for LA, I see us splitting with everyone else.

14. thugLove

thugLove Contributing Member

This has been the best thread in the GARM in some time. The season can't start soon enough...

[​IMG]

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

That was a "joke thread"?

Since 2005 or so, the GARM has become an absolute joke. And I know few will chime in to agree with me -- why invite yourself into this sort of pathetic back and forth when you already know the outcome? -- but I'm sure many here feel the same way.

"Non-basketball related matters?" I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to comment on the latest season of the Office. The last time I remember actually posting at D+D resulted in a spate of posters asking me to frequent the site more often.

I'm sorry, but I've been trying to hype this site, and this forum, for years. I've been visiting it for 10 and a half years. I've linked to it at SI.com, wrote a feature on it at SI.com, linked to it at ESPN.com, and linked to it at Yahoo!. I've done quite a bit to get the word out on a place that has been around since the beginning, contributed, and posted on the forum when the mood struck.

And all I've really asked in return is people not quote entire articles.

After all, you wouldn't dare to post a hyperlink that would lead you to an mp3 of the new U2 single. You're not going to link to a torrent site with Transformers 2 downloading hot and heavy off of it. And you're not going to give out someone's Backseat Bros ID and password out in a post. It's your roommate's account, I know. Not yours.

All I've asked, for years, is that you treat the work of mine and other people's articles the same way. I don't post threads with other people's articles, which I sure are quoted in full, because I don't frequent the site as much. Sadly.

But I post in mine. Because I'm looking out for my job.

And if you had a consistent line of thinking, spaced out over nearly a decade, done 98 percent of the time in calm, deliberate manner, and it was ... ignored, ignored, ignored? How do you think you'd feel, nearly a decade later? Would you be holding your tongue? If the tact doesn't work, what will?

And I'm supposed to be OK with this because one poster thought Kobe was better than Tim Duncan? Or because you think I shortchanged Aaron Brooks this year?

Guess what? These things aren't in the public domain. And these things aren't going to be around, for free, forever. And it's because niggling little twits like the mugs posting above, Members Since 2007 or 2009, that are the reason.

As someone who's just a few years removed from a 28.8k connection, as someone who's a few used removed from using the ESPN Lite low-bandwidth site because he couldn't afford high speed internet or a fast computer, I know what it's like to be a voracious NBA freak with no money to his name. And not only am I looking out for my job, I'm looking out for you. And you have to stop it, if you want this to continue.

You have to.

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Yeah, it was a joke thread. Confirmed by reading the first 4 posts in the thread by the thread starter. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=175177

As much as I appreciate your well written monologue, let's be honest. You don't solely go off on readers for copying and pasting your articles. You primarily do it when they have disagreements over articles you've written. Time and time again your responses are crass and unprofessional. I don't have the search function so I can't link specific posts, but I do have the memory of an elephant.

I think criticism is part of being in the public domain, especially when you write about things that so many people have access to seeing first hand. And when YOU personalize everything to ridiculous extents, it's going to rile up people. YOU must. Yes, YOU must realize we're talking about sports at the end of the day, not day time television. YOU must. See how weird that is? It's apparent the femininity of your name establishes a self fulfilling prophecy, similar to Tracy McGrady, and you can't put away the emotions when you interact with the people responsible for those paychecks. But hey, that was just a joke, like me guarding p*rn passwords and playing it off on a roommate.

It just doesn't make sense to an impartial observer like me, if you want your popularity or reader size to grow. And when you're a sports journalist heavy on rhetoric and short on in depth analysis, your demographics will be limited.

This has nothing to do with me being a Rockets fan or a Clutchfans poster; you can't guilt me into feeling indebted to you because of your past history with the website. It's just an unbiased observation.

17. KellyDwyer

Monologue? Are we not used to posts that go beyond three sentences in the GARM anymore?

I can recall going through a back and forth with one member regarding one of the many lists I put up on BDL earlier on this summer, over two threads. A week or two ago. That was it. And that's allowed. And I don't think I'm acting tactless or crass in any of those responses. Snarky, perhaps, but you're confusing the angry responses I have with the people that cut and paste my work and place it on this site with the mugs who disagree with my work without extended and cogent detail as to why.

I challenge anyone on this forum to deal with what I deal with, daily, from people on the internet far and wide criticizing the job they do, daily. Have you any idea the stick I get, from both fans and writers, regarding the Rockets -- because they know I'm a member of this forum?

Where I am miffed beyond repair is at the people who cut and paste, knowing that it isn't right, knowing that sensible people have asked them to stop. Repeatedly.

And then you make fun of my first name. Which nobody has done, to my face, since 1987. Wonder why.

18. KellyDwyer

Are you aware that during the regular season, for the last two years and from 1999 to 2003, I wrote a daily column chronicling every game from the day before? With analysis on every game, based on watching them live, taped with two different Tivos, then partially re-watched and gone over in the hours after the game, and then published early the next morning?

Or are you reading Top Ten lists and thinking that I'm just guessing at things? That I don't watch and re-watch more games than any other scribe out there?

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Don't really mean to butt in, but it seems to me that you need to get some perspective. I'm sure the old timers here are extremely familiar with you and your work/pet peeves etc. but as you have pointed out several times, clutchfans nowadays are full of new guys. Most of these guys don't know who you are, that you are a member here and that you have posted multiple times not to link to your article. To these guys your full-on attack on abc was unwarranted, especially when you open up with the C word. You can't just lump every poster here as a "clutchfans member", you can't expect them to know that you've ranted about it a million times because maybe, just maybe, they weren't here yet. ABC might have just been an ass and asking for it, but you probably wouldn't be arguing with all these other people if you hadn't gone on a profanity laced tirade.

And honestly, you shouldn't get so worked up about it or take everything people say about you seriously. You're a freakin' sportswriter for the largest free site on the net, you put up stuff for people to look at and judge, do you expect everyone who read your work to understand what you're talkin' about and to appreciate the hard work you put in your articles? Taking flak and receiving a lot of stick is part of your job, don't get so emotional about it.

As for people saying you're long on rhetoric and short on analysis, that's a result of your writing style more than anything else. Look at this excerpt from your Rockets preview:

Nobody can tell if came up with that stuff by watching endless hours of tv and crunching numbers, or if you just pulled it out of your ass. Unlike, say Chad Ford, you mostly don't give any proof why you think player X is so and so, you just make conclusive statements about the topic at hand.

I personally don't find anything wrong with your writing style and actually enjoy it a lot, but don't be surprised or act offended if people pull the "lazy writer" card on you. That's just what happens when your work is filled with subjective statements.

20. KellyDwyer

That's fine. It's the offseason, and I've about 600 words in a preview to talk about a team within a post. Most of the BtB's throughout the season run in upwards of 2000 words. Hopefully the kids will read, from now on.

I didn't open up with my man James May's favorite word ("****"), I ended with it.