1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bagwell era comes to an end.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Oct 31, 2006.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

HOUSTON -- Jeff Bagwell's $18 million option was declined Tuesday by the Houston Astros, who will give their career home run and RBI leader a $7 million buyout to complete an $85 million, five-year contract.

The 38-year-old Bagwell missed last season because of an arthritic right shoulder, and the Astros tried to recoup about $15.6 million in insurance.
    "It doesn't mean anything at all," Bagwell told Fox 26 in Houston. "Everyone knew this was going to happen. It is part of the business. I'm OK with it. This is not a sad day."

When asked if this move meant he was going to retire, Bagwell replied, "No it does not. Not at this time. I am not ready to say that.

"It is probably an end to a great chapter in my life. I had a great career. The Astros have been nothing but great to me."

Houston general manager Tim Purpura hinted that Bagwell could remain with the team in another capacity, saying Bagwell would discuss with his wife what level of involvement he wants with the Astros.

"As I've told Jeff, he can have an impact in so many different ways," Purpura said. "I'd love to see him work with young players."

Said owner Drayton McLane, "We would love for Jeff to be part of the Houston Astros."

Bagwell, who has 449 home runs and 1,529 RBI, was the Astros' first baseman on Opening Day from 1991-2005. A four-time All-Star and the 1994 NL MVP, he is the only first baseman with 400 home runs and 200 stolen bases.

Bagwell, who hit .297 over his career, is one of nine players in NL history to win an MVP and rookie of the year awards. Only Craig Biggio, who has been with the Astros for 19 years, has been with the club longer.

Bagwell made an unsuccessful comeback attempt in spring training after pinch-hitting in the 2005 playoffs and then working as designated hitter in the first two games of the World Series. He started several spring games at first base but had to leave early in two of them because of soreness in his shoulder.

In January, the Astros filed a claim to get back most of the $17 million Bagwell was owed last year after deeming him too injured to play. When the claim was denied by Connecticut General Life Insurance, the Astros sued the company in April.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

3. msn

msn Member

link?