1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Badass] James Franco to Attend U of H in 2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by stipendlax, Apr 21, 2011.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

says who? Where would we be without p*rn novels/ journalism? They hire the best photographers and stage the best scenes. In fact I'll have you know its the number one search on the internets :rolleyes:

2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:380444" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed></div></div>

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:380445" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed></div></div>

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:380446" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed></div></div>

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah perhaps those are valid reasons to.

I DON'T really like this current wave of guys on the douche hunt, on douche alert looking to put down other guys. A dude decides to put on something other than basic pants and shirt - "oh look at those skinny jeans fitting too close to the leg, look at that shirt with patterns on it - DOUCHEBAG." (Who cares, leave all that catty self conscious stuff with chicks)

Just with me, "Knows something that you don't Guy" can be hit or miss.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah screw all humanities. Limit life down to nothing but framework and equations. Forget writing on the paper, if you don't know the elements and atomic structure of the paper itself, get lost.

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

oh my god, this is my gateway to Mila Kunis

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy cow. If I tell my wife about this she'll probably camp out somewhere on campus just so she can get a glimpse of him. She's freaking in love with the dude. Like stalker level.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm taking him to Timmy Chan's after we crush UCLA in the season opener.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Douche. ;)

9. worzel gummidge

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm not hating on the arts or think only science and math matters. I support the arts and like to think of myself as a musician when I'm not engineering.

However, a PhD in "Creative Writing"? That's about as BS as anything ever. "Creative Writing" should be nothing more than a 100 level 3 hour class that you take as a senior when you're done with real classes and want to have fun.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Franco goes from hosting the oscars with Anne Hatheway to attending UH. What's next, drug abuse... p*rn?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i know people w/ masters degrees and doctorates and when they are working on them you dont see them for a few years - the work load in grad school is insane. so how is franco able to do movies, interviews or have a life of any kind and pursue all these academic endeavors?

its not like he is going to samfishers alma mater, the university of phoenix online - he is attending some big-time schools and doing very well.

either he is allowed much more leeway than the average student or he is a superhuman bad-ass renaissance man.

if his degrees were earned legitimately than you have to tip your hat to the guy - pretty impressive.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's the deal with Houstonians (well, I guess you might not all be Houstonians?) belittle U of H on something they actually are good at? The program is a feather in the cap for the university and the city.

Writing, like all the arts, is part craft. You can't really communicate your art without mastering your craft. I've seen enough art shows by people who don't know how to paint, and attended enough concerts by people who don't know how to play to see the value. There's plenty to learn studying writing, or painting, or music, or any other art.

1 person likes this.
  14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

because those are too dense, narrow minded, ignorant and insecure.

I'm by no means and artsy fartsy type, but i can respect those who are talented in those fields...so long as i like it ;)

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm an engineer myself, so I can understand your take on this, but I still don't understand your disdain for someone who wants to pursue this line. For the most part, the people who carry out their graduate studies in Liberal Arts end up being teachers, so it's not like they are detracting from society in any way, shape, or form. If Franco wants to cut his teeth on the next great American novel, who are we to hate on him for it?? And SOMEBODY has to be #1 in the country at putting together a curriculum that can help in doing that, so why not let our great city have the school that does it?

It's this attitude that really bugged me about all the engineers in my classes.....they had this superiority complex about anybody not studying the sciences. Not everybody enjoys being an introverted, WoW-playing nerd who gets off on Gauss' Law.

2 people like this.
  16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i must spread reputation around.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey man, you have no idea what you're talking about ....Put aside the anti Cougar comments and your inferiority complex. (that is manifested by the projection of a superiority complex).Believe me. It IS possible to have extraordinary math/analytical aptitudes and not be an anal, snare drum.
    As others have already mentioned a balance is called for in life.

AND BTW..... Major Mal is too modest to let you all know he is about to receive a degree in UH's said program. He IS an elite writer who has already eschewed other opportunities to finish school. The talent in there is beyond reproach....and yes, we will be partying with James when he hits the UH campus....

#57 Plowman, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i got my BA in Creative Writing from UH. I met some of the graduate level professors and PhD students...just brilliant writers. They do readings around town all the time. good luck to James Franco...a great pursuit!

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are three great areas of human inquiry...art, science, and morals (which includes law, ethics, and government.) Art is indispensable in creating, maintaining, and growing a culture's vision, exploration of values, and appreciation of beauty, which is a spiritual value, not only an aesthetic one, and art is so much more...It's food for the soul.

1 person likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well if his wiki is right and he has a superhuman ability to focus, its not that unbelievable. If he can legitimately turn off all distractions and work on class material for 5 hours straight he can get a lot done with his level of intelligence.

But I'm sure he gets some leeway as well, imagine him gookg up to his professor and asking for a 1 week extension on an assignment because he is hosting the oscars, what professor would say no to that?