1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad news: Nationals to sit starters during final week, Pedro shut down

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Sep 26, 2005.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

That, and the fact that the damn Phillies are rolling. they freaking choke every year in the NL East race -- why did they have to pick this year to finally get clutch?

That 9th inning HR Bell hit against the Reds killed me...

But yeah -- the May/June stretch is frustrating in retrospect.

Won't matter though, since we'll TKOB this week! :cool:

2. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

We have to make to it to the post season. There is just no other way this season can end. come on ASTROS!!!!!!!!

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Mets are rallying against Philly right now in the 8th. Beltran has 2 on and no out. Big chance for Carlos to help out his former team right here..

4. Aceshigh7

Yes! Mets tie it, getting two runs on a throwing error.

A Philly loss tonight would be wonderful. :)

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Mets just took the lead in the 8th.

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6 more outs for the Phillies... unlike the Astros, they seem to have some late inning magic working for them. Here's hoping NY doesn't have any former Houston pitchers to give up leads in the late innings!!

7. desihooper

Supporting Member

Mets go to the ninth clinging to a one run lead... Come on Looper, don't blow it!!

**edit: Hernandez stays in for the ninth, retires the first two batters in order...

#27 desihooper, Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  8. desihooper

Supporting Member

Game Over.... Mets win!!

9. Aceshigh7

That was a huge game for the Phillies to choke. Come on Astros. Take care of business tonight!!!!!!!!!

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Imagine how not suprised I was this morning (a Tuesday morning in the last week of the season when the Astros have a 1.5 game lead for the wild card) when I heard people calling into 610 to b**** about Drayton. :rolleyes:

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

really?? even today?? what did they say?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I only heard about 20 minutes, but two callers called in to say how cheap he was and how he wasted this season by not getting a bat. Someone even said that had they signed Beltran, Drayton wouldn't have opened the wallet for Clemens. The sad thing is that Lance agreed with him. Never thought I'd say this, but at least Granato was sane and pointed out that it was a ridiculous assertion and also that there were no bats to get, apparently. He even said to hold off on the b****ing until after the parade.

Seriously, how pathetic are our fans? We're in the wild card lead in the last week of the season and they're still b****ing. Enjoy the ****ing ride, people.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

For all the the **** Robinson talks about the moral code of baseball and the moral code of people, here he is the thick of pennant race sitting all his top players. The guy has a double standard. I don't care if he does it. I don't even have a problem with it. But he talks so much ****, it'd be nice if he backed it up a little with some substance. But either way, when did the Nationals get starters? Who are they kidding. The whole team is a bunch of bench players anyway.

It in our own hands anyway. The Astros have to take it. The Mets did their job. If we push it too two games with 5 left. We have no one to blame but ourselves for a collapse. Here is the scary part. If it does go to playoff Backe will probably have to pitch it.

14. wrath_of_khan

Like how I jinxed them? :D

15. wrath_of_khan

This article won't surprise you either:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA092705.1D.buck.c817e69.html

Never mind that all of the author's points have been refuted elsewhere (i.e. the notion that we could've signed Alou in the offseason).

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Backe has pitched as good as any of our other pitchers since coming back from the DL.

Combine that fact with his "big game" persona, and its not that big of a deal at all.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

In fact, I'd trust backe with my first born

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he manages my portfolio

19. wrath_of_khan

Yep, the way this month has gone I'd be just fine with Backe pitching a playoff. Plus, you've got to think that at least one of the Big 3 would be available for an inning or two if Backe falters.

20. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Backe is a solid 4th starter. He will only start one game per series and that game would most likely be at home. We all know how much better he pitches at home rather than the road.