1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad news: Nationals to sit starters during final week, Pedro shut down

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Sep 26, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Bad new considering they play the Phils. Got this from rotoworld.com

Jose Guillen, Chad Cordero, Nick Johnson, Brad Wilkerson, Vinny Castilla and Brian Schneider will sit out all or most of the rest of the season, Nationals manager Frank Robinson said today.
    ''There comes a time -- and this is the time, as far as I'm concerned -- that ... it's time to say, 'Hey, guys, that's it. Take the rest of the year off,''' Robinson said. We thought that time was Oct. 2. The Nationals still plan to play Preston Wilson, just so he can make a run at 90 RBI before he heads into free agency this winter. After all, they won't be paying for those numbers. For the arbitration-eligible players, the nine days off could be damaging. This hardly seems like the proper way to run a Major League Baseball team. Marlon Byrd, Ryan Church, Ryan Zimmerman and Brandon Watson will all get extra playing time while the regulars watch.

Pedro Martinez probably will be shut down for the rest of the season, Mets manager Willie Randolph said today.
    Randolph called Martinez ''banged up,'' with the most notable problem being a toe injury. ''There's nothing wrong with his arm. It's probably a combination of a lot of things, and the fact that over the last two years he's thrown a lot of innings,'' Randolph said. ''It's nothing serious to the point where you have to worry about anything. It's just a matter of when you have an investment like him, you want to make sure you don't run the risk.'' Martinez is next scheduled to start Tuesday, and Randolph said: ''If we're mathematically eliminated by then, then he definitely won't pitch.'' Randolph didn't say who might replace him.

This is bull. I understand Pedro being shut down but Frank is a jackass. Isn't there a unwritten rule saying you should try to win every game?

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

In other words, Astros may be pretty much screwed unless they win the rest of their games. Their all must wins at this point.

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the Cubs will afford us the same courtesy. I think the NL East is colluding to get two teams into the playoffs. :mad:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is why we have to beat the Cubs when they toss out a pitcher as lousy as the one yesterday.

DD

5. Surfguy

Jason Lane getting picked off third is just inexcusable in any case. If I would have seen that, then I would have taken my TV and driven it into the path of Rita. All those chances to score from third with one out and we do jack sh*t with em. If we end up missing out on the playoffs because of that one game, then that is just going to be the worst.

6. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

yeah, but what about the countless number of times we've left the BASES LOADED with no outs?

that hurts twice as much as any pickoff

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

This ****ing sucks.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

oh well no one said it would be easy and its not like the nationals regular lineup was that formidable

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Is this really a negative? The starters would not be motivated anyway. Instead young guys get to prove themselves. This could be good thing.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

your glass is half full....and i'm loving it!!!

11. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Is LaRussa going to sit any Cardnials? He did last season which pissed off the Cubs.

You know Dusty Baker is going all out to beat us this weekend. All I have to say is who cares what the Mets, Nationals or Philies do this week as long as the Astros take care of their OWN biz.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

umm.... go beltran?

13. Surfguy

cough...yea

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

a little surprised at the lack of optimism around here though lol

yeah true I wasn't with the astros when things were really tough (I didn't even check threads when we were 15 under) and wasn't coming around until the all star break, but all in all, it's still in our hands, we just have to win some damn ballgames and somehow improve our situational hitting? :confused:

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not suprising. If we had a 3 game lead, people would be complaining why it wasn't 7... or if we had run away with it, people would be complaining that we'd be too rusty heading into the playoffs (like the Cards fans are whining about right now).

We control our own destiny... and frankly, if we can't win these games that we "have" to win to make the playoffs, then this team isn't "playoff" ready anyways.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

The Cubs would love nothing more than to knock us out of the race. It's the closest they will get to the playoffs this year.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

We'll be ok.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If we miss, I won't blame it on the Nats, Mets, or Cubs. I'd blame it on our two month habit of losing series after series against teams that are out of it. This team could have locked the wild card two weeks ago if they had taken care of business.

Evan

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree, somewhat. We will make it to the post season, not doubt about it. But if there was any chance we wouldn't, you have got to look back at May-June.

20. Surfguy

And now...a narration from Sarah Connor:

"The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too. And, maybe the Astros make the playoffs as well."