1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I know that we did not just have this one plan. Before the injury to Maurice, there had to be a different plan. I think the Rockets have one more offseason move in them. What do ya'll think it will be? No fantasies, realism prefered.

mine: Walt Williams is expendable to me and we still have exemption money. I say walt for someone on a team who is a bit over the cap

2. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

I think(as has already been stated by others in many other threads) that the most likely scenario would be Walt for White. Since, apparently, it was a deal that was very close to happening, perhaps it would be the easiest to put together. And it seems plausible for both clubs. If I am not mistaken, it does the Rockets no good to have Walt coming off the books now(or does it since we don't get Jax?), so why not trade him for some front court help?

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

What about Pig Miller?

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Uh.

No.

We should attempt a trade using Walt as bait.

5. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Pig should always be an option. However, with a tradeable commodity in Walt, and the med exception, I would rather see the Rockets get someone just a little taller/talented. But, if nothing happens I would pick up Pig in a second. You can pay him the minimum and get some decent returns. I don't think it is time to call in the Pig yet. The best thing about Pig is that whenever you need him you can just call up the street to Mama and them's and tell Pig you want him on your team. He won't be doing anything else.

6. Houstone

Houstone Member

Yeah sense now Terrence Morris has been looking impressive, I dont think we need Walt now...

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

At this particular juncture I'm guessing that Michael Jordan would trade Jahidi White for a box of chocolates and a tic-tac right now. White never fit in Jordan's plans, and I think he would have traded if he could. That's just my guess. And White has a slightly strained Achilles right now.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Yes, Pig. OINK!

Although I'm not opposed to trading Walt for a big man.

I think at this point Gatling might be our best option. And if not him, then just someone to come in for spot minutes when a player's injured like...oh, I don't know....PIG!

9. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Pig was in Space Jam, afterall.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can we trade Walt and Damon Jones to get Gatling,and then use part of the exception to get a player like Polynice.Gatling could be a 4,and Polynice a 5.

I know I'm probably sounding like a hypocrite since I have opposed getting Polynice before,but we need help in the frontcourt.If everyhing else fails we should go and get Pig Miller.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Gatling and OP are free agents, I believe. If we want them we offer 1-2 year deals at their vet minimim.

We have three ways to go:

1) trade for someone as a solid bet to be a long term contributer, even if they start now and later move to the bench.

2) sign a fill in vet or 2 we know will be gone in 1-2 years but will help us now (case above or perhaps OT or Causwell or Pig). The only one who we might even think about offering most of the injury exemption for is Gatling. Even he would be gone in 2 years, for whatever reason he always moves about that often.

3) scour the lesser leagues across the world for a cheap fill in or some one with potential. The problem with this strategy is we are looking for a C/PF rather than a guard, it is a lot harder to find the former.

I think we should go with #1.

I agree White is a good option. He could start for us this year if Cato isn't working, and I don't think he would have a problem playing hard as a bench player down the line. I was a big White proponent before Mo went down, but I thought MJ was a much better fit after Mo's injury. But now since we have neither, the more defensive oriented White should be considered. White should be available, the Wiz need PT for their young guys (Brown, Heywood, and even Thomas, who I don't think they have given up on yet) and have vets also (Laettner, Jones). Now that they have MJ I don't know if Walt makes as much sense for them however.

Maybe we also could get the 3rd center off Cleveland (Doleac, Mihm), Toronto (Skinner, Clark), 6ers (Jones, Dalembert), Magic(DeClercq), Portland (Boumtje Boumtje) or Phoenix (Santiago) just for an extra body or for a prospect. Only a handful (maybe Clark, Mihm, Santiago) should cost more than a 2nd rounder to get.

Does anyone know if rosters are finalized?? Are any of the above players likely to get cut and we could pick them up for nothing.