1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backpicks GOAT: 40 Best Careers in NBA History

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by larsv8, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

To my own different prespective: Junior Bridgman career should be ranked at something ;600milion$ and an iconic Breaking Bad personage
    [​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Looking at those ahead of him, I think Dirk might be in about the right spot. I could see arguments around Karl Malone, and maybe David Robinson--but I imagine both of their defensive stats were better. Would like to read the analysis on him (been living in Dallas throughout his career). In general, I think he is offensively underrated, in that the entire team does better when he is on the court--but the analysis would capture that. Still does, for that matter, even at this stage. Defensively, he was weak initially, better than given credit for in the middle of his career, and a large defensive liability in the past few years. Because...40. :)

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Kinda confirms the same decade old argument: do you care about peak or longevity?

Jontro likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A meta-discussion on the GOAT list:

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

For those who enjoyed the series, The Thinking Basketball Podcast is doing a 5 year revisit to the top 40 careers through the last NBA season.

Only 2 names drop from the list. Only 1 current player jumps into the list. Really interesting and enjoyable listen for NBA junkies.

First 3 episodes of the revisit.

JumpMan likes this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

For those who just want the updated list here’s where he has gotten so far in the revisit.

Ray Allen and McHale were the two bumped. James Harden and Isiah Thomas join the list.

29. Reggie Miller
    30. James Harden
    31. Bob Pettit
    32. John Havlicek
    33. Jason Kidd
    34. Artis Gilmore
    35. Patrick Ewing
    36. Paul Pierce
    37. Walt Frazier
    38. Elgin Baylor
    39. Isiah Thomas
    40. Clyde Drexler

Honorable Mentions : Gervin, Cowens, Gary Payton, Elvin Hayes, Ray Allen, McHale, Giannis, Jokic, Kawhi

And before anyone goes nuts he specifically mentions Giannis and Jokic as two who are essentially locks to jump in to this list with a few more years under their belts. Also Kawhi if he can stay healthy and produce a few more great years.

#247 jordnnnn, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

clearly matt maloney since he’s still being paid by the rox, even under new ownership

#legend

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

So only Giannis and Jokic will jump in to this list o_O

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Giannis, Jokic and Kawhi were the 3 players currently playing that were closest to making the list(under the criteria he laid out for this exercise) that are essentially locks to make it with a few more seasons.

He did not claim that no other current players would ever make the list.

Someone you think is being overlooked? Keep in mind there are other current players higher up on this list that he just hasn’t gotten to yet in the revisit.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I like his work, but think he has a bias against Harden. He’s got him ranked fairly high but still too low.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I feel like I have felt the same way in the past when he has discussed Harden, but he seemed to be pretty fair in the revisit podcast when talking about how good he has been.

For example he said Harden clearly peaked higher than Reggie, but for now Reggie just has more volume to compensate. He also said that he thinks there is a credible argument as far as offensive peaks to put him in the top 10ish range. Didn’t seem to think that Harden was incapable of pushing into the 20s as far as best careers and I think that’s pretty fair.

BigM likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks. I haven’t heard his more recent takes, will check that out.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Oh no. I was unclear. He said that Leonard could make it if he was healthy. So I was making a joke about him never being healthy...

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

jordnnnn likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Paul Pierce kinda high on that list

that 08 Celtics ring is the most milked ring of all time

Doc Rivers is still coasting on that ring

Paul Pierce had barely done anything of note his whole career until Ainge built a super team

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He's got 8 double digit win share seasons and 150 for his career, so that's pretty damn good. Someone like iverson only has 3 double digit and 100 for his career (not that anyone thinks iverson is in pierce's class)

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

he barely did anything of note for the 1st 9 years of his career until Ainge got him Allen and Garnett who was the best player on that 08 championship team

How is Pierce better all-time than a Clyde Drexler or Isiah Thomas?

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

clyde had 7 double digit seasons and 135 total, isiah had only 1 season in double digits and like 80 total. Honestly, i was shocked to see Isiah in the top 75 team let alone this top 40 ranking. Saying pierce did nothing is silly, outside of a few guys like lebron and jordan, you need a team around you. Nobody who's gonna be outside of the top 20 will be able to achieve much on their own

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is this a win shares ranking? What exactly did he do before Allen and Garnett?

There is no way he is better or had a better career than Clyde Drexler who had a better career WS/48 than him anyways. Isiah Thomas has 2 rings and better accolades.

Paul Pierce never even made an All-NBA 2nd Team and finished in the top 10 for MVP voting just once

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya you’re looking at it as if everyone had the exact same situation. Isiah won rings because he was on really good teams, he himself isn’t a top 50 player imo though like i said, i’m super surprised that his data suggests he is