1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Background check from the Cole Group?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RoCksT4R, Apr 22, 2015.

1. RoCksT4R

RoCksT4R Member

So, I was offered a position by a company and had to do a phone interview with a third party background company. They asked me a bunch of questions about having a criminal past and tickets and stuff. Also asked about my previous employers. I left out some employers that I was terminated from many years ago and now I am a little worried that they will find I worked there and contact them. Does anyone have experience with similar groups or went through anything similar in the past?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If its fact checking, you shouldn't leave out your previous employers, regardless. Give your time of employment and leave it at that. You shouldn't worry about them contacting them; You should worry about them wondering why you left them off. A previous employer can not speak bad about you.

Your resume should highlight your accomplishments and doesnt need to include every job you had.

3. RoCksT4R

RoCksT4R Member

I always leave them out because it was close to 8 years ago and I was only there for a couple of months and don't add anything of importance to the position I am applying for.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Seems reasonable to leave short-term temp-type jobs off...unless they are very recent or the position you are up for is a high security position.

5. RoCksT4R

RoCksT4R Member

It's not a high security position. I might just be panicking for no reason. I just never had to deal with a background check like this before so I might just be over thinking it a bit.

6. boomboom

Supporting Member

Somewhat ironic...turned in my info for a background check today for a new job. :)

Good luck and congrats!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Coincidence, not irony. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dontcha think?

9. boomboom

Supporting Member

"Ironic" is what my keyboard placed on the screen. My brain has been disconnected from the keyboard for quite some time now. How's that for irony?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They won't care and have no way of getting that info.

DD

1 person likes this.
  12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This. The only people that know you worked a job for a company that you've removed from your resume and online profiles, is that company and the IRS. This is why lying on your resume is a national past time.

13. Svpernaut

And you want to be my latex salesman?

14. RoCksT4R

RoCksT4R Member

I thought I read somewhere that background companies like these can run your SS# and see every company you have ever worked for. Seems a little intrusive to me, but I doubt I will raise any red flags because of it. To be honest, I hardly remember working there.

15. Svpernaut

There isn't a company that could mine or store that data legally. The only thing they can mine are public records, and unless you update a social network profile or a website with your work history for the masses to see they can't mine it. The only government entity that tracks your employment history is the IRS, and they don't share employment information with anyone, and they are literally the only people that know your entire work history (not including CIA, NSA, FBI obviously).