1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backe Could be Backe in August

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=1888168&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Notes: Backe's return a possibility
    Righty could come back in August if rehab stays on track
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Pitchers who've had Tommy John elbow surgery usually need at least a year, and sometimes 18 months, before they can even think about returning to the mound. But Brandon Backe has a good chance to defy those odds and rejoin his team much earlier than expected.
    Backe and general manager Tim Purpura are being extra-cautious about not sounding too optimistic, but if the right-hander continues to progress at his current pace, he could be back with the Astros as early as August.

"I'm going to allow them [management] to speculate how far along it's going to be," Backe said. "Every day, I just keep giving them everything I can to try to manipulate the program and come back as soon as possible."

Backe had the elbow ligament replacement surgery on Sept. 7 and, at that time, his chances to make a return at some point this year stood at around 10 percent. Those odds appear to be considerably higher, perhaps around 50 or 60 percent.

"I think I'm capable of going out there right now and getting people out," Backe said. "But that's not what I need to do. I need to get out there and pitch seven innings and eat innings up.

"When I come back I'm going to be fresh, and some of these guys will be tired toward the end of the season. The dog days are going to start when I come back. For me, it's going to be Opening Day. I need to prepare myself so I can pick up slack on some of the guys that are struggling."

Backe began throwing off the mound during Spring Training and has taken an interesting approach now that the regular season is under way. He is pretending as if he's in the rotation, throwing off the mound every five days with a bullpen day in between, just as he would be doing if he were healthy.

He throws 50 pitches off the mound and envisions he's facing the lineup of whatever team the Astros are facing at that time. His next "start," for example, will be against the Phillies this weekend, when the Astros are playing in Philadelphia.

"I'm pretending there's a hitter up there," he said. "I work count, pitch to them the way I've pitched in the past."

The goal is to not only continue to build arm strength, but also to work on the mental approach of his game, which will need fine-tuning before he can return to the rotation.

Before he can make a comeback, Backe will have to go on an extensive Minor League rehab assignment, which would delay his return to a Major League mound for a month or so. But if Backe can start that rehab stint midsummer, he could still make it back in time for the stretch run.

"I feel good with the way I'm throwing," Backe said. "Who knows? I can speculate. I can be back sometime in July, or I might not make it at all this year because of some kind of setback I hit down the road. But it certainly looks good to pitch sometime this year."

Purpura agreed.

"At the beginning, you set your mind that it's going to be 18 months, and then when things go better, you think it could be closer to 12 months," Purpura said. "The answer is yes, that every day that there's something positive, I'm more optimistic

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Sweet! But the thread title? :rolleyes: Backe is Backe right now.

3. MadMax

Backe isn't Backe unless he's Backe. So Backe isn't Backe right now. I think he'd attest to that.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wait, hold on a minute. Backe up.

*beep, beep, beep*

[​IMG]

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

You win! I'll get Backe to work.

6. MadMax

beep beep beep???

what is that??

:D

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Brandon Backe=Houston cult here

Stupid Garner robed him of his world series glory by pulling him for Brad Lidouch

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That would be great, but I won't count on it...

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I fully expect Backe to pitch sometime this year... but I'm not going to expect immediate results. He'll probably get some spot middle-releif work, simply to build up arm strength.

Then, starting next year, he'll be put back in the rotation... that's the natural trend of recovery from tommy-john surgery for the last 6-7 years, and Backe's recovery shouldn't be any different.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If the Astros make the playoffs Backe will dominate.

Backe=Horry

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd honestly wish Backe = Barkley, Malone, or any other PF that actually produced during the regular season. This isn't the NBA where more teams make the playoffs than not (and thus Horry is allowed to coast/underachieve/slack off/do whatever he does in the regular season).

The regular season is a 162 game marathon that truly separates the men from the boys... the playoffs are essentially a 15-20 game crapshoot.

12. MadMax

and the whole church said, amen.

13. famicom

famicom Member

Ah ha, hush that fuss
    Everybody move to the Backe of the bus!

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Backe had upped his game past Robert Horry status.

In addition to his postseason heroics,Brandon was producing consistent quality starts in the regular season.

This is great news.I'm not surprised though as Brandon has a passionate commitment to baseball.

If we can get to Roger and then add Brandon,our Astros will be tough to beat down the stretch.

#14 Plowman, Apr 11, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I'll neva forget his game 5 performance in the 2004 NLCS. Classic.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Backe is Bob Sura. Comes up big, but also shows heart, determination, and grit. Always seems to have that fighter mentality. Backe is a better cheerleader on the bench, though ;)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would like to know his velocity these days.

DD

18. MadMax

how curious, because he said he'd like to know the same about you. so there.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

*Stupid Garner puts on Backe's robe and wizard hat*

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

How does he compare to Dan Langhi?