1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B/R - Picking 1990s NBA Starting 5

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SKTTLZ, Aug 26, 2015.

1. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Shaq and Hakeem were different types of defenders. Shaq was a brute force clog up the lane defender while Hakeem used his quickness vs bigger and slower centers that matched up with him. Hakeem is listed at 7', but he even admits he's closer to 6'10". We can go back and forth about this forever, but all I was saying from the start is that Shaq put up better numbers statistically overall in the 90's if you factor in 97-00 numbers for Hakeem. I don't really care about 1st team all NBA or defensive player of the year or any of those awards that are determined by a vote.

2. what

what Member

Why people keep forgetting the greatness of Chris Webber? I think Webber was the most talented pf to ever play the game, including Tim Duncan.

My five:

Stockton
    Jordan
    Nique
    Webber
    Hakeem

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No we cant. There is nothing to debate here.

Everyone knew Shaq had a hard time defending pick and roll. Except you... that did not even watch the games.

Your arguments make no sense. But I should have expected as much before engaging with you.....should have done my homework earlier....

Plenty more but I will stop here for now.

Not sure what else to say other than....you are an idiot.

Let's also add this gem from a year ago where you pretty made the same argument I did against Shaq.

LOL. Mmmk bye.

[​IMG]

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes.

Clutch city is forever

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Malone wouldn't mend well with Hakeem as Malone was a post player. Barkley would be a better fit, but I would take a different approach. Balanced offense and defense.

PG. Payton
    SG. Jordan
    SF. Pippen
    PF. Rodman
    C. Hakeem

Hakeem and Jordan handling the bulk of the offense, with Payton helping a bit, and then you are talking about some of the best at their position ever defensively, I would place my money on this team over any other team.

6. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

C. Webb was good but come on, Timmy! has been doing it at a high level since forever man lol. I think the only person that would agree with you is Vlade Divacs, not even Webb himself would agree with you lol.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

PG: Stockton
    SG: Jordan
    SF: Pippen
    PF: The Dream
    C: Robinson

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Uhhh....

Are you confusing Moses Malone with Karl Malone??

Karl Malone had a very limited post game. He was primarily a pick and pop or pick and roll player. He was good in those two areas because he had an excellent mid range shot and was very good at finishing around the rim off the rolls. As far as the traditional post game where you would dump the ball into the big man in the post, he had only one shot....the drop the shoulder into the defender and fade away for a baseline shot.

Karl Malone would actually make an ideal complimentary player to a post dominant center like Hakeem. He could space the floor with his range and he was an excellent passer from the top of the key. Which is why Lakers offense struggled when an over the hill Malone got injured. Malone was the glue that kept the Lakers offense together with Shaq in the post.

Lastly, you argue that Malone wouldnt work well with Hakeem because Malone was a post player yet you say that Barkley would who was even more of a post player than Malone????

It is because of Barkley that we have the three second rule for post players backing their man into the paint now.

9. what

what Member

Let's be honest the kings were robbed in 2002.

I put Tim, Hakeem and Webber all on the same level in terms of greatness. Webber should have won an ncaa title and an nba championship, but even beyond that, the guy was unbelievably a great player.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Damn son, that was legit!

[​IMG]

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Also this... greatest Bigs of the last 25 years

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Webber was very good. The main 2 things that stopped him from being truly great are....

1) defense - he wasn't a poor defender he just wasn't very good or elite in that aspect
    2) lacked "clutch"ness - goes back to his college days (TimeOut) and continued with his nutting up in the playoffs with SAC-Town

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Dream was the beast in the 90s.
    He's the chronic and all eyez on me and low end theory and illmatic together

14. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Hakeem might be a bit shorter, but that man deserves the middle of key hole area king title in that team more than DRob, gotta admit that even as a Spurs fan. But if you put them in this era, when pick & roll and outside shooting are more appreciated out of big man offensive skills, DRob can match up Hakeem better. Defensively, i think they are both a wash.

Not even Webber will agree with that assessment, i concur. The Dream's peak was higher, Timmy's has great & consistent career longevity with many more NBA hardwares to speak of, while Webber might have dated many more beautiful women, gotta give him that.

15. slestack11

slestack11 Member

What's with all the hostility? I think Shaq had better overall stats in the 90's...what's the big deal? I'm on a lot of NBA fan forums and this one by far has the largest cast of characters who are angry and defensive upon every post. Does the humidity in Houston just make everyone angry or something?

This is what Shaq thinks about Hakeems defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZZ3T7pKas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCkU2fKK4_4

Man among boys...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJyYVW1R_fM

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem is the best center of the 90s.
    It's truth.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

slestack11 = Jeremy Lin fan still bitter that Morey traded him away. Lulz...

So much butthurt in all his posts!! Lulz....

Kobe and Shaq fan from LA but makes an account on the Lakers forum in July of 2014 when the Rockets dumped Jeremy Lin onto the Lakers. Things that make you go hmmm.....

Another one busted!

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i posted the identical team. i think they would beat any other team listed here.

id also like to throw in there that hakeem has 6000 combined blocks and steals. where as shaq has 3450 combined. that is a huge HUGE difference.

19. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Not true. I was a fan of Jeremy Lin at Harvard because my cousin was a WR on the Harvard football team at the same time and they knew each other. I thought the story was cool when he made it big on the Knicks at MSG for the two weeks that was Linsanity, but when he signed with the Rockets, the story was dead to me. I like to spend the holiday season in Manhattan and actually was at Jeremy Lin's first game on the Knicks but he didn't play...it was literally weeks before the Linsanity started.

I originally signed up onto this site to discuss why Rockets fans wanted Dwight on their team when he was about to become a free agent because after the season in LA, it seemed he was not the same after back surgery...damaged goods.

To tell you the truth, I was booted off Lakersground for getting into it with some Lakers fans about the Clippers/Lakers rivalry which I thought was ridiculous. I signed up again because I saw some posts regarding the lottery pick which ended up being Randle and I wanted to jump in. I don't think you can deduce from my posts here that I'm a LOF which I find to be such a lame thread of conversation to begin with. That whole thing died on Lakersground pretty quickly. I live in LA so we are used to diversity and everyone bandwagoning onto players that are of their race. Look at Nomo-mania and Fernando-mania. Hell, go back to the Brooklyn Dodgers and Jackie Robinson. It's cool. Nothing people need to get all riled up about.

I grew up with Magic/Byron/Worthy/AC/Kareem but really played high school ball during the Jordan era. So Kobe was the player I always wished the Lakers would have on their team. Anyway, when the Staples Center opened, the Lakers wanted to put everyone that wasn't already a season ticketholder up in the 300's section for 5 years minimum so I chose to get Clippers season tickets. Time flies but I think I've been a Clippers season ticketholder for like 15 years now. The good thing is that I sit in view of Bill Simmons so at least I get to witness his sarcastic hate and pain as he sits a few rows behind Doc Rivers on a weekly basis. Especially next season with Paul Pierce onboard.

I'm booted off everything on this site except NBA Dish (not justified in my opinion but whatever), but I think it's much better to talk basketball with folks that are not the same homers. Clippers top buzz was much better for me when the Clippers sucked and it was all about how we can build the team through the draft and trades. Now everyone seems to have turned into Lakers fans and just pile on and gloat how great the Clippers are. If I were to rank the greatest power forward in the last 15 years on that site as Blake Griffin, people would have all sorts of justifications why I am right on. By the way, if you are spending the entire day searching the web thinking that my username is always slestack11, then save your time. I sometimes need to switch them up.

So lets keep getting into it. I don't think Hakeem is better than Shaq...haha.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's the humidity of your posts. They're dripping with stupid.

How many sites have you been banned from exactly?