1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B/R - Picking 1990s NBA Starting 5

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SKTTLZ, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

To add on to this...

IMO, I don't think Karl Malone would be as great a player if he didn't have Stockton. Though there's no data I know of to support this...This could be just because I'm a Jazz-hating Rockets fan who thinks Karl Malone is a dirty b*stard...

But look at the jump that Phoenix made when they acquired Charles Barkley...They were a good team that made the 2nd Round but lost in 5 games, to losing against MJ and the Bulls in the Finals.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I agree with Payton/MJ/Pippen and Hakeem in the equation. Only thing that makes those teams better imo would be a twin tower approach, as Hakeem had a serviceable jump shot and was athletic and skilled enough. Add Robinson and you have two bigs that don't need to stay in the paint and are able to beast on both ends. Makes the team better than with Barkley or Melone imo.

Maybe:
    Payton
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Robinson
    Hakeem

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Malone* lulz

4. SuraGotMadHops

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-zbw3KzgHBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Mine would probably be
    Stockton
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Malone
    Hakeem

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Penny
    Jordan
    Nique
    Barkley
    Shaq

I'm fine with Pippen and Hakeem too, I like Nique and Shaq more, but many of their most memorable years and playoff runs are in 80s or 2000s.

7. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This. Although I really loved the Glove's defense, Stockton was a true general on the court.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Shaq was prime in Orlando. He posted some of his best numbers there. People just assume since he was young, he couldn't be prime yet. I'm not arguing whose 90's numbers were better between he and Olajuwon, just saying Shaq was prime very early into his career.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Glove
    MJ
    Pippen
    Charles
    Dream.

I don't think any team constructed between 2000-2015 would beat that team in a real game, either.

1 person likes this.
  10. BleedsRocketRed

Payton
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Malone
    Olajuwon

It would be nearly impossible to score against that team, and any player outside of Payton is capable of going for 30+ points any given night

11. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Shaq put up monster numbers starting his rookie season, but from the standpoint of playing winning basketball and maturity, he didn't really get there until around 1996 or maybe the year before he got traded to the Lakers. And after he met Phil Jackson, that's when he became the best player in the league and the most dominant center since Wilt Chamberlain. From a numbers standpoint in the 1990's, nobody put up better stats than Shaq from the center position. If you want to compare Hakeem, you also have to take his regressed years from 1997-2000, but even so, Hakeem was never the offensive force that Shaq was.

12. StevieCrossover

John Stockton
    Michael Jordan
    Scotty Pippen
    Hakeem Olajuwan
    Shaquille Oneil

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

shaq's 90's

1 first team, 1 2nd team, 3 3rd teams, no defensive teams, rookie of the year, no rings

hakeem's 90's

3 first teams, 2 2nd teams, 3 3rd teams, 3 defensive first teams, 3 defensive 2nd teams, 2 dpoys, 1 mvp, 2 championships, 2 finals mvps

Sure that looks similar, could give it to either one

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Shaq's offensive brilliance was especially great when he was routinely benched late in games due to his crap FTing. He was never the defensive force Hakeem was and the discrepancy between the 2 doesn't favor Shaq. O'Neal and his fans just need to be happy the center position weakened in the late 90's and beyond and he was blessed with great teammates and coaching throughout his career.

Nice, don't forget Hakeem's 2 Rebounding Titles vs Shaq's 0

#34 Houstunna, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  15. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I'm not sure Hakeem was a better defender than Shaq. Both were dominant but Shaq was a lot bigger and teams were very tentative about bringing the ball into the lane when he was in the game. To me, it is pretty amazing that Shaq was able to put up such huge scoring numbers being that he was such a terrible free throw shooter. Even though his form was horrible, he was actually a lot better than Deandre or Dwight. All the Kobe haters say that his first three titles don't count because Shaq carried him, but then there's you who thinks that Shaq is limited because he couldn't shoot free throws in crunchtime. So do you admit that Kobe had something to do with those first three titles? I personally think that Kobe and Shaq were the best duo in the history of the NBA and, for those three titles they won together, the Lakers were the greatest team of all time. The 90's Bulls and the 80's Lakers would have had tons of trouble with Shaq's inside presence with Kobe on the wing.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I've never said Kobe deserves zero credit for the 3-peat, but Shaq was the lead dog on those teams.

Shaq could never defend the pick and roll and played against lesser C competition overall than Hakeem.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Then you have not watched Shaq play.

Shaq's pick and role defense was weak. That was always a question mark wit him and teams exploited it.

He was no where as mobile as Hakeem on the perimeter. Hakeem was also a better shot blocker and had much better steal numbers.

1 person likes this.
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

In seriousness

Payton
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Dream
    D. Robinson

Team full of top top notch defenders. Multiple DPOY's and all defensive teams with plenty of scoring.

I bet you will struggle to put together a rest of NBA team to match this team's defense. I doubt you can.

I have Payton as a top 2 defender from PG, in fact he could be 1 depending on how people rate Walt Frazier
    Jordan as #1 from SG
    Pippen as #1 from SF
    Dream obviously is the #1 defensive big
    D Rob is close behind Dream, maybe Russell ahead of DRob but I have no idea about Russell

19. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

Shaq's presence deferred people from driving in, going inside, etc...but how many DPOY awards has he won? He was limited in terms of skill, IMO.

Hakeem on the other hand, his quickness (lateral and straight line) allowed him to guard 1-2s off switches on PnR or chase down blocks:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x3-64I6zp7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and...

[​IMG]

And btw, Shaq hasn't won any DPOYs. Dream has two.

20. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

My list:

PG: Stockton (That little dirty hack, but one heck of a competitor, clutch as *****)
    SG: Jordan, who else can it be ?
    SF: Pippen, that perimeter D & underrated court vision
    PF: Robinson, as David it is, yeah cheating, but he doesn't have back to basket offense anyway, pretty decent outside jumper, and great mobility in the perimeter defensively, so i think it is fair
    C: The Dream, the one and only