1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B O'B has to be the Dumbest Football Coach.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Sep 9, 2018.

1. today

today Contributing Member

I too thought the same thing, but a friend of mine brought up a strategy point that I had never considered before...

Calling the timeout before the 2 minute warning essentially would have saved 3 seconds.

If the offensive team is trying to run out the clock and they have a 2nd down play with 2:03 on the clock, then a passing play is a valid choice because the clock is stopping no matter what at the 2 minute warning.

But if the offensive team has 2nd down after the 2 minute warning, then their range of play calling is drastically skewed towards runs, because they don't want to risk an incomplete pass at that point.

I like the idea of sacrificing 3 seconds in order to narrow down the range of play calling to mostly runs.

joshuaao and marks0223 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Seems like a lot of you guys just woke up from a coma.

Is this the first time you ever meet BoB?

He is a joke and should be removed from his jobs years ago.

Watson had a bad game yesterday but there are many reasons can be understand for such poor performance, such as the long lay off after the injury, not enough snaps in the preseason, very good opponents with arguably the all time greatest coach in this game, etc. He should take some of the responsibilities for the Texans loss yesterday.

But, he is NOT the problem.

Becasue you have BoB.

A great coach will try to maximize your players strength, a mediocre coach will try to not screw up and at least handle the duties of his own properly (like a clock manager and not being a **** manager you dumb ass).

And then we have BoB : "its not my job to make their jobs easier."

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

My thought process was, since it was 2nd Down and the Texans had 3 timeouts left, you call timeout at the 2:03 mark. The Pats run another play prior to the 2-minute warning and the clock will stop again. It's 3rd Down at that point. After they run the 3rd Down play, you call another timeout to stop the clock. At that point the Texans get the ball back with approximately 1:40 to go, rather than approximately :50.

It boils down to Clock Management!!!!

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The 3 seconds don't impact this.

Wait and don't call a timeout. Then they run a play and its maybe 1:53. Timeout, another player, 1:45, timeout. They still get the ball back with similar time.

The ISSUE here wasn't where you call the timeout, it was getting a stop.

The reason they only had 40 seconds instead of a 1:40 was because they allowed the Pats to get a first down.

The issue here was the Pats getting the first down, when TB had 4 years to run around and make a completion. To be fair, it was a pretty amazing completion to a full back who somehow caught it despite being defended really pretty well until the last freaking second. But nonetheless, they got the first down.

In any case, this isn't a mistake by B'Ob imo. It actually made sense for the playcalling reason noted above.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No coach, even the all-time greats like Belichick, the ghost of Bill Walsh, or Vince Lombardi could make any sort of call from their viewpoint.

They need help. I don't know if the Texans have any sort of system in place for that... if not, they should.

Belichick also took a gamble later in the game and threw the flag by guessing... based on how the Texans were rushing to the line. He lost the challenge. Sometimes, you do have to guess... especially on big plays.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I remember when BOB would routinely get in his own coaches faces for something little, the cameras would catch it, and everyone in the media would say how great a coach he was for undressing his personnel. BOB doesn't yell at his coaches much anymore, but it just reminds me that he never gets mad at anything going on on the field when it comes to the Texans getting screwed. He is always so angry at everything else except the stuff that matters.

BOB got mad at the journalist who asked him why he didn't call a timeout after the Gronk "catch" instead of the NFL screwing up the review.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm not discounting the fact that we played our first game against the reigning AFC champs. But that's still no excuse for how flat we came out in the first half. SO FLAT and rusty that our starting QB had a bad handoff exchange on a simple option run play to begin the game. Half of that blame goes to DW since he's the one on the field but man! the game script and plan is so predictable when it comes to BoB. And then when he tries to change it up we do it at the worst possible time. Yeah! Let's throw the ball on the 1 yard line with the weakest O-Line in the league... what's the worst that could happen.

I know it was said on multiple occasions that this O-Line can't be worse than last year's line but these guys sure are trying their hardest to prove us wrong.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

got to try, looks stupid otherwise. It like you take a multiple choice test, and leave some answer blank b/c u didnt try or want to b wrong. i rather he burn a timeout trying rather than not and later saying in hindsight at the presser he could have done better..

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

With that Gronk catch, there was more than one reason to call a time-out. Aside from giving the refs chance to review the play, it also gives your defense a breather. They were getting gashed.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Did he actually say this? If so, these mistakes should have already been learned in year 2 or 3. He has got to step up quickly if we want a chance to win while Deshaun is on a reasonable contract. Also, needs to put Deshaun in the best position to succeed if we want any chance to contend. With a hodgepodge offensive line, I have my doubts it is in the cards this year.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's not my job to call a timeout to give our defense a rest John! Romeo calls the plays, they go out there & play. They gotta get stops Mark! That's their job!

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Please tell me this isn't real lol

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

It's not real.

Nimo likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kevin Johnson looks like a bust unfortunately.

With his concussions it might be in his interest to retire as well (like Fiedo).

Fullcourt likes this.
  18. ballgame

ballgame Member

Wonder what R.Smith is thinking???

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Even though the Patriots lost the challenge, they also stopped the Texans offense that was on a roll and limited them to a FG