1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B O'B has to be the Dumbest Football Coach.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Sep 9, 2018.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

EXACTLY!!!!!

Has ANYONE seen the NEW OFFENSE we were suppose to have??? B O'B has EVERYTHING he asked for; R. Smith gone, Franchise QB and FRIENDLY GM, so why in the hell are the results the same?

1) HE SHOULD'VE LEARDNED FROM LAST YRS BEAT DOWN AND PREPARED HIS TEAM BETTER.
    2) I'M SICK AND TIRED OF ROMEO PLAYING HIS CORNERS 5 TO 7 YRDS OFF THE WRS. GIVING UP YRDS
    3) I'M SICK AND TIRED OF MARC VANDIMEER AND JOHN HARRIS MAKING EXCUSES!!!!

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My least favorite coach for a Houston team that I can remember in my lifetime. I don't understand why he doesn't receive more backlash than he does. Typically, coaches are the first to be blamed for everything. BoB could use a lot more blame. It's time to move on to someone with higher potential (any potential at all?). BoB will never change; we've seen everything we could have gotten.

red5rocket and deb4rockets like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So I guess if BOB ever sees 12 men on the field before the refs do he will keep quiet, or if his D-linemen keep getting held with no flag being thrown he will stay quiet, because you know, it's not his job to help the officials.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

houstonstime likes this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We may or may not have a good season but one thing will be true, the Texans coaching staff will be outwitted and outmatched in many games. And it's this is not a new thing either. Beli, Andy Reid, Zimmer, Pete Carrol, etc... all of those guys have gotten the best of BOB over the years.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Couldn't the same be said for any coach after a loss? Yes the players need to execute and they didn't do a very good job of that yesterday. But BoB is still having major issues with clock management and situational playcalling. If we’re gonna hold players accountable for things they did or didn’t do, the same goes for the coaches.

To say calling a timeout isn’t your job is an assinying statement. The remote possibility of overturning a 28 yard pass into field goal range warrants that timeout alone. Not to mention your team was getting absolutely gashed before that. Then after the muffed punt by the Pats, we took damn near 30 seconds off the clock after a terrible Miller off the right side run and basically let the entire play clock go down after the Watson scramble. We let over a minute run off the clock in between 2 alone plays that drive. Credit for scoring but we took well over 2 minutes to score within 17 yards knowing we’d have to get the ball back regardless of what happened.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He hasn't proved he is at all. Quarterbacks who look bad on our team look much better when coached by others who might make OBrien's "QB guru" opinions a bit of a farce. People say they got better because of him, but I can't help but wonder if they get better when coached by someone else who might actually be able to coach them better.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think you're right. Yesterday Fitzpatrick looked like the GOAT.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

houstonstime likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm beginning to wonder if he could even get a gig as a coordinator or QB coach anywhere else now. His play designs are so horrible and predictable. It is obvious when Miller won't be running, and it is predictable for him to run every first down. Our route running is predictable, and our guys are rarely uncovered. It's amazing how some guys on opponents' teams can get wide open so easily.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think this is the case.
    Sometimes you get a lose if you do, lose if you don't scenario.
    But more times than not, when folks complain about decisions, its because they're complaining about confusing decisions.

The ONLY thing that is a valid defense, imo, is that we're not HCs. So we don't know the hundreds of variables that coach is thinking through in just seconds before making a call.

But that's the reason we can rely on analysts, can rely on the fact that we watch other coaches and see how they react, etc.

---

Another bobeheaded Obrien decision. The run, followed by screen on their last drive before the first half ended. EVERYONE knew that second down was a run. Once they got way behind the chains, you could just see the gears working in Bill's head. "uh oh, let's just conceded this first down and give TB as little time as possible".

This is a problem... when I'm sitting next to an 8 year old and saying you can't give TB 45+ seconds, even with NO TIMEOUTS. Not with this Texans team and defense and defensive backs. The ONLY way to prevent the Pats scoring is to keep the ball. I'm actually more scared of TB with like 1 minute left and 1 timeout, than I am of him with 2 minutes left and three timeouts.

BUT... even if it back fires, I think you have to go for it... because you're trying to win the f'ing game.

13. ballgame

ballgame Member

I FORGOT TO MENTION, this bumbling IDIOT didn't go for it on 4th Down with 4 mins left to go in the game but luckily the Patriots fumbled!!!!

gatsby, BigShasta and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is what annoys me most about BOB

It's not his poor time management, this is something a lot of coaches have issues with. Maybe it's just so much going on that things slip...

It's his mentality.

Over and over again we lose games because BOB is too scared to go for more. Meanwhile, other side of it, Belicheat is going for on 4th down any time he's over the 50 yard line and its around 3 yards or less.

BOB just doesn't understand when to go for the kill. We lost a few games last year because BOB calling run plays on like 3rd and 8s then punting the ball back to an elite QB thinking our defense would get the job done. BOB only gets aggressive when it's far too late when he should be starting the game out looking for the knockout punch.

marks0223 likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tony Romo killed Asschin all game long. :D

red5rocket likes this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah...it's either 2nd and 10 at the NE 30 with 40 seconds left or 1st and 10 in field goal range. That timeout is worth calling.

18. today

today Contributing Member

I've said this now for at least the past 2 years: O'Brien needs to go through a GTO (game theory optimal) course to learn optimal strategies. This is something that all coaches ought to do every year in the off-season, but O'Brien especially needs it. He needs to run through simulations and learn what the highest EV (expected value) play is, given the situation.

I will also say this again... the Texans need 2 additional people on staff:

1. Someone who reviews all video footage in real time and has a direct line to O'Brien for challenges (maybe try to get this guy clearance to be in the CBS production truck).

2. Someone with advanced knowledge of GTO strategies that can quickly assimilate data and process projected outcomes. Likely to be an analytics guy, maybe even a Madden gamer who has played through thousands of scenarios. This person would also have a direct line to O'Brien during the game and be able to answer strategy questions and give advice.

19. SuraGotMadHops

I don't think that would be the case, we'd be complaining that we got hosed on the call and the catch/no catch rule is ambiguous and dumb. It's a no brainer to take a timeout in that situation. It's strategy to run a play quickly to not afford the booth enough time to buzz down, and it's a counter-strategy to stop the clock to prevent that.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention this. He REALLY lucked out on being questioned about it, since the Pats fumbled the punt. But it makes no sense.

What the f' was his plan? Give TB the ball, down 14, with under 4 minutes left?? He could have had 8 timeouts and that wouldn't have worked.

My list, piggy-backing on the OPs:

1) Not playing your #1 offense enough in the pre-season (Deshaun and the O-Line looked rusty in the first half)
    2) Not throwing the Challenge Flag on Gronks catch before Halftime....PLAIN STUPID
    3) Not going for it on 4th and half a yard int eh first drive out of halftime at mid-field
    4) Then going for it on 4th and 5 in scoring range despite the fact they were completely disjointed at that specific point offensively
    5) Punting to the Pats with just under 4 minutes left down 14 (he was lucky it worked)

I wouldn't list it out, but then there's the general offensive play calling. It's hard to pinpoint this, since DW was so off. But all the RPO stuff which really wasn't working. All the times the Pats receivers were way off Hopkins and Texans receivers and they DIDN'T do the simple quick pass and run, yet they DID do it when the defense was prepared for it. I thought the first half they had no clue that they could hit short/medium-short passes. Everything seemed to be like 15 yard routes. I don't think they mixed in different vertical areas of the field well at all... thought this got better in the 4th quarter finally.

Here's a random question / comment. QBs are rhythm based. Why not just make the first play of the game something simple. The simple sideways pass to Hopkins. Allow DW to option out of it if coverage is really tight. Otherwise, get a first completion, and pick up a few yards at minimum?