1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[B]Interesting Calvin Murphy tidbit[/B]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Sep 27, 2008.

1. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

On his show two days ago, he said that he applied to be the Rockets' head coach after both Rudy T and JVG vacated the position. He apparently wasn't called back either time.

He also applied for the U of H job (which Clyde got) and I think TSU as well.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know. It might be a little late for him to get into the coaching game.

I peruse Eric Musselman's coaching blog from time to time, and it makes me think that coaching at the college or pros level requires a dedication, discipline, and attention to detail that I'm not sure Murphy can deliver. He seems more of a free spirit to me. Plus, I'm not sure how well he'd relate to today's NBA players. The guy has some wacky opinions on things.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I heard on the radio Murph doesn't like Hubie Brown cause Murph helped him get into TV but Hubie didn't help Murph get into coaching...something like that. Or maybe it was Hubie blew off Murph after Murph was charged.

4. Rowdy Drummer

Rowdy Drummer Member

ya, honestly i think alot of people threw murphy (THE GREATEST OF ALL TIIIIIMMMMME) away after he was charged. thats when you find out the people that are really down for you. ie. when the rockets are losing.. i am still a fan.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the guy knows the game, no doubt about it. however, i'm not sure he has what it takes to lead the bench. you have to have a little bit of an edge to you. you have to be ok with putting your foot down, and i just don't see players taking such a nice, funny, even "wacky" as durvasa called him, guy seriously.

6. durvasa

Would you still be a fan if the entire team got charged with molesting ball-boys in the locker room?

I may not be, even if the charges are dismissed. The possibility that there could be some truth to it is hard to block out.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Calvin Murphy as an NBA coach is akin to Sarah Palin as President of the United States.

8. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I think he would make a great assistant coach. He has a lot of knowledge that would definitely be helpful to players, young guards like Aaron Brooks.

9. BullRider

BullRider Member

............ which is much better than a community organizer as president. :rolleyes:

10. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I agree with that and many of the other comments around his free spiritedness, and discipline etc.

The context to the whole conversation was that, years ago, he was conducting a camp/clinic for young kids overseas and Mike D'Antoni was there. After the session, D'Antoni was so impressed with Murph's ability to communicate with the kids and his knowledge of the game that he suggested Calvin pursue a career in coaching.

Regardless of his ability, he probably can't expect to go from nowhere to being head coach of an NBA team (although strangely it does seem to happen, like with Del Negro and others) so couldn't have seriously considered that being Rockets head coach was realistic. I mean, could you imagine following Rudy or JVG with Calvin? This place would have gone ballistic.

If he really wanted/wants to go into coaching then he should probably consider the Assistant Coach track.

11. Rowdy Drummer

Rowdy Drummer Member

WOULD I BE A FAN!!!! IF THEY WERE CHARGED... NO.. BUT HE WASN'T CHARGED SO IT WAS A LIE, WHAT IF SOMEONE CHARGED YOU WITH SEXUALLY MOLESTING YOUR LITTLE SISTER. EVEN THO IT MAY NOT BE TRUE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO LOOK AT YOU FUNNY. AND THATS NOT FAIR TO CALVIN AS A PROFESSIONAL AND AS A FRIEND!

12. durvasa

Unfortunately, we can't know that for sure. That's the problem. If Calvin truly is innocent, I recognize that the uncertainty some may have is terribly unfair to him. But you can't blame people for having that uncertainty in the back of their minds.

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Dont bring that trash in here. Leave it in the Debate forum please.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Great comparison to bring to the Rockets forum, A_3PO ... I'm glad we're discussing this here now. Way to go.

15. durvasa

Maybe he meant that as a compliment. :D

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like common usage to me. :confused:

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think Calvin Murphy is doing more good as a part of the media than he would as a coach at any level. Think about all the sound bytes we'd miss out on! It's just a shame he can't get his TV job back.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I always taught Murph could be a good coach. He shared great basketball knowledge during his time behind the mic. Of course, that was whenever him and Bill weren't goofing around. :D

19. yobod

yobod Member

The guy might be tough as nails, and have a little edge to him, but I just don't think he has the dedication and mental fortitude to take the highs and lows of coaching. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and while that maybe a great trait to have as a player (especially an undersized player that people constantly tried to push around), it just doesn't work as a coach (see: Avery Johnson).

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think his commentator mode should be used against him.
    However - there seems to be a thing in the league of who can be coaches and who cannot be .. . not based on ability but by likability

I know Murph is liked and likable but he might be on 'the list'
    Like Kareem. most folx say he was an incredible *SSHole
    during his playing years. . .so much so . . .he cannot *sniff*
    a job in the NBA . . .not even an Asst
    [i don't think]

Seems there is some 'Politics' involved that Calvin may not be able to work around

Rocket River