1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B in B (Bored in Boston)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 8, 2007.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

OK... I get to this effin' hotel, and there's no UNIVISION for the freakin' MEXICO vs. PARAGUAY quarterfinal game... :mad: WTF?!?!!?!? What gives? :mad: Hotels without Spanish TV suck.

Anyway... I am bored in Boston... will be here for four days, leaving Turdsday. There's a few of us from Houston here... yes, I brought my TEXANS' t-shirt for all to see my loyalty.

What is there to do downtown near Fenway Park BESIDES going to Fenway Park? Boston Public Library is nearby, and so is that huge capitol-like building I can see from here...

Where the heck is Cheers? I wanna go visit at least Cahla Torteli.

Yes, MoBalls, I will go to a Bah... :D

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what?!! how about wearing something that's not ugly.. like a vintage Houston Rockets Jersey!! ;)

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's why I didn't bring a TITANS' Jersey! ... O! [DiceMan-ish] :D

Hey, just for you, I will wear my Clyde Drexler T-shirt tomorrow. YOU GOT IT. By special TinMan request. :eek:

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Are you in the Back Bay or Kenmore Square? There's plenty of bars around there and you can walk along the Charles there. Boston Common and Fanuel Hall is within walking distance, or a short T ride away.

Some specific things you can do is walk down Newbury street which has some nice bars, cafes and stores. You can also check out the bandshell on the Charles which has shows by Boston Pops every now and then. The Boston Art Museum is also not too far away on the other side of the Fens from Fenway. If you have a few hours you might want to do the Freedom Trail which is a walking tour of the great historical sites in Boston. Obviously take in a game at Fenway if the Sox are in town.

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Cheers bar:

The Bull & Finch Pub
    84 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02108 :cool:

Take some pics :D
    Cheers is one of my favorite tv shows

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The only thing I like doing in Boston is pigging out on lobster.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its been forever since I've been, but if you care for history at all, Boston is about the most history consious city in the USA, IIRC and walking around to see all the history attractions has the benefit of being incredibly cheap and time consuming. You can do a walking tour for the better part of a day and spend next to nothing.

8. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Cheers is actually very close to the State House which you mentioned you can see. Both are on Beacon Street, Cheers is just several blocks to the west. I live a few blocks from Cheers, have only been once... I have to say manage your expectations.

There's really not that much to do in Boston. Sishir Chang mentioned most of the places I'd reccomend already. You can go to Boston Commons and the Public Garden. Walk down Newbury Street, which is the fancy street with designer stores and bars you see in every city. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are pretty good tourist, sight seeing type places, the Aquarium is around there, and also maybe check out the North End for some Italian food and desserts.

If you want to ride the subway to Cambridge, you can check out Harvard Square, lot of people like doing that.

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

i think its called market square or something like that but its like an outdoor area where they have shops/restuarants and all this other stuff to do its pretty nice you should check it out

10. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Quincy Market. Yeah... there's McCormick and Schmick's, a Houstons, Kingfish Hall, as well as a foodcourt that has some good seafood (i.e. bacon wrapped scallops), there's also a second Cheers there.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

There's a great Italian restaurant right next to Paul Revere's house.

Ive been to the Cheers place about 10 times. It looks nothing like the TV show.

The Aquarium is typical Boston - small and pricey but not a bad way to spend an hour.

Fanuel Hall is interesting, especially compared to Houston type shopping.

The Freedom Trail - not so interesting.

You can also ride one of those Tour buses.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Feel for you, SwoLy. Got to watch Mexico beat Brazil on Isla Mujeres, and it was a trip. Every little shop, every bar, EVERYWHERE had that game on. This tiny corner shop, run by an old guy (I think he was older than me, lol!), where I went to get cervezas, cokes and the like every evening, well, the dude had a tiny flat screen TV on his counter, and when I congratulated him on the win, right after the game, I was amigo from then on.

And Isla is about as remote and tiny as you can get, and still be in civilization. ;)

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I might visit Boston w/ my gf for a weekend vacation. I'll bookmark this thread for future reference. Keep the tips coming.

14. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

i heard the bars there are really nice.

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If you like college chicks, Boston's the place to be. There are about five schools very close to each other.

16. Locke

Locke Member

Yeah but they are sorta .... thick...up there.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are you crazy? My mom's family is from there so I was there all the time. There's like more to see and do in central boston than you could see in an entire lifetime in Houston.

Off the top of my head, in the city:

Aquarium
    Boston Tea Party site
    Bunker Hill
    Adams Family House
    USS Constitution
    North End
    Harvard/Cambridge -could spend a whole day just here)
    Fanueil Hall
    Massachusetts State House
    Kennedy Library
    Castle Island
    Gardner Museum
    Museum of Fine Arts

And outside the city - geez, a whole bunch more like Plymouth/Mayflower, etc etc etc.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Houston's the fattest city in America. They're used to fat chicks.

And many posters here like fat chicks... with big arms.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You forgot the Big Dig.

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Yeah, but the Spanktra-vision is quite good.