1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWJGTI] Clint Capela's Historic Per-Minute Productivity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Dec 12, 2016.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DeAndre Jordan isn't on the floor for his offense, but Clint is. No one is saying that he is Yao or Hakeem, only that his production per 36 at his age is not easily replaced except by some elite players. We're seeing great improvement from him within this season already: from his free throw form, being to hit the occasional hook shot, and being able to drive to the hoop. No one knows if he'll continue to improve, but he's already impressive as is. If he actually played 36 minutes per game and put up 17/12/2, would he really be a role player?

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Per 36 stats only count if a player actually plays 36mpg. Averages from 12mpgx3 doesn't mean the player will actually average those numbers if they played 36mpg....it just doesn't happen. The stats they average are the stats they average and that's it

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Clint is better than Jordan defensively, Jordan is one of the most over rated defensive players i have ever seen

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If DeAndrew Jordan played 20 minutes a game with the Rockets I would not be surprised to see him have a 17/36 at all on the offensive end - and that's really my point.

Capela has a brighter upside - I agree with that. But right now he's benefiting from feeding on all the above the rim passes he is getting. Let's hope he uses that injection of confidence to develop a fuller game.

saleem likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think most of the board is happy with Capela but I think most also recognize that Capela's efficiency numbers are directly correlated to Harden's brilliance at exploiting pick and rolls when shooters are on the court with him. Capela has definitely shown a lot more polish this year, but he still is a relatively limited offensive player when he isn't getting set up for uncontested dunks from Harden. That's not to say Capela isn't super valuable to this team(and I think can eventually be a Deandre Jordan type player) but it's to say you can't compare what Capela is doing to the Hakeem, Shaq, and Dwights of the world because it really is apples and oranges.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Per 36 is valuable If you take it as it is meant to be taken. It is a great tool for measuring per-minute productivity. Sure, Clint might not be able to go 36, but that doesn't really matter. What's important is that he is giving us borderline elite production in the 25 minutes he is on the floor.

Similarly, Trez and Dekker are doing the same. Short efficient minutes are the first step towards becoming a quality veteran.

Be happy.

vator likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Per 36 is a per minute productivity/efficiency metric scaled up or down to average starter minutes. That's all it is meant to be; a quick and dirty way to determine how productive/efficient a player is. Just because people grossly misuse it, doesn't mean it is rubbish. I personally prefer per 100 possession, but that has its pro's and con's as well. Again, stat usefulness is dependent on how they are used. Any stat can become rubbish when not used correctly, but then again, it's the user that is rubbish, not the stats. Flat averages are even more useless in how you are trying to use them.

RudyTBag and vator like this.
  8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

IMO some of you are focusing on the wrong thing; it's not about COMPARING Clint to those other players, it's that on a per-minute basis, those are the only other players who have produced like Capela at the same age or younger. That's simply an objective fact. You can adjust it to Clint's per-possession production and come away with a similarly exclusive list.

Further, if you think Clint's offense is simply a product of James drawing extra defenders, I don't think you're watching closely enough. Yes, a huge percentage of Clint's buckets come off of assists from James; but guess what? Taking advantage of defensive misalignments and putting yourself in position to catch lobs and pocket passes is a skill. In Amar'e Stoudemire's best year under D'Antoni (2007-08, when he averaged 26.7ppg on 59% shooting), 70% of his baskets came off assists. Team basketball is all about creating opportunities for uncontested looks, and in the case of Harden and Capela, it's a two-man dance. The big man has to do more than just finish, he also needs to get open and give the guard an angle to deliver the pass.

Clint's timing is excellent on his dives to the rim when his defender commits to help, and in the PnR he knows exactly when to open up and roll to the rim, and when to slip the screen when the defense overplays. It might sound simple, but very few athletic bigs have such a strong grasp of the fundamentals, especially at age-22. If Capela were just the rim-runner/finisher that some of you seem to be suggesting, there's no way we could have functioned last year with he and Dwight sharing the court, yet those were some of our more effective lineups.

That's why I think it's a bit absurd to suggest that DeAndre has the ability to produce points at the same rate and efficiency if given the opportunity. If he could, the Clippers would have taken advantage of that when Blake was out last year. DJ can't catch the ball at the FT line and take it to the hoop without traveling/barreling defenders over, nor is he able to seal his man and throw in a baby hook, both skills that Clint has demonstrated (albeit in limited opportunities). DJ doesn't have Clint's footwork in the PnR, and he's not even close as a passer. At 28, he's just not as fundamentally sound offensively as Clint is at 22.

No, Clint isn't a post-up scorer. No, he isn't a shooter (though who knows, that may come in time). But in our system, with our spacing, and our PG, in a year or two he can absolutely be an 18-20 ppg scorer without ever having to create for himself one-on-one. Considering his rebounding ability and defensive potential, that's incredibly valuable.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clint, Trez and Sam are incredibly exciting young pieces on a veteran team. Dork Elvis is making his money this year.

Williamson and verse like this.
  10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

doesn't show that at all, it doesn't take many factors involved like fatigue, players you play with, how many shots you will get to take. If you play with the bench, you might get all the shots, if you are with the starters, you might get hardly any.....PER 36 doesn't take that in to account

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Capela has a couple of offensive moves, DeAndre doesn't have any

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Which part of the words "quick and dirty" did you not understand? No one said it was perfect, but as a pure per minute breakdown, it has its usages, the easiest one being this is what this player has shown to be capable of per minute scaled to starter minutes. There is no perfect stat for efficiency or productivity. You need a plethora of different metrics to show that. There are stats however for different purposes and usages which again, the degree of usefulness of each depends on how intelligently applied they are. Comparing a starter to a bench player using per36 would be stupid. Projecting how productive a rookie or young player is potentially capable of based on per36 is not. No one with half a wit expects them to actually sustain that however, as it's just a quick and dirty projection based on pure numbers in a vacuum.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It seems like h works hard and has never stopped improving and still is so young. Plus you can see he's being coached well and he's responding to it.

Harden, Capela and MDA are made for each other. Capela has definitely become a more important piece than I anticipated. Continues to impress. If he spends time from now till next season working on his FT's and hook shot he can become an extremely good player, very well suited to play versus modern offenses/defenses.

14. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

OR, how about -- Worrell "Harden could find Clint Capela in a dark room."

Equally good I think.

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

I think it's Glen Rice and Sam Cassell

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

I don't know... many of DeAndre's moves look pretty offensive to me.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is going on with him? At camp? Already in D League? Just another temporary "asset"? I have visions of him engaging in a block party on Aldridge with Dwight in the next playoffs.

#1glynch, Oct 2, 2014

You guys are welcome to praise me for perhaps the first defense of Capela.

Williamson and dharocks like this.
  18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

what in the hell does AWJGTI mean?

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Hah, at least that explains why jopatmc doesn't like him. Man just can't be wrong.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Capela or Drummond?