1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Awesome or Stupid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 1, 2011.

?

Do you think it is awesome or stupid for Chris Jeon to fight in Libya?

1. Awesome! Revolution, exotic locale, fight for freedom..

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Stupid, Danger, not speaking the languange, possibly killed.

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Meh...

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  4. I hate the Bruins...

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UCLA student spends summer vacation fighting with the Libyan Rebels. I personally think its stupid especially if you can't even communicate with the people you are fighting with. I am curious though what some of the college age people on the thread think.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44359943/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/?GT1=43001#.TmAowmrSzHo

UCLA math major joins Libya rebels on 'vacation'
    'This is one of the few real revolutions ... I just thought I’d come check it out'

Al Nawfaliyah, Libya — At this rebel outpost in the middle of the desert near the front lines of the fight with Muammar Qaddafi’s loyalists, a gaggle of rebel fighters gathers in a circle, laughing, cheering, and filming with their mobile phones.

In the center stands a 21-year-old American college student from Los Angeles.

Chris Jeon wears a cobalt basketball jersey emblazoned with the words “Los Angeles” and the number 44, camouflage pants, and black and white Converse sneakers. Around his neck hangs a spent ammunition casing on a string, and a black and white scarf is wrapped around his head, courtesy of the rebel fighters.

Why is he here?

“This is one of the few real revolutions,” he said. “I just thought I’d come check it out.”

It’s an unusual summer break for a college student, especially for a math major at University of California, Los Angeles, who says he spent his last spring break in Quebec. But Mr. Jeon is near the front lines of a conflict that has already taken thousands of lives, and is likely to cost many more if rebels launch a planned assault on Mr. Qaddafi’s hometown of Sirte.

Jeon doesn’t seem worried.
    Advertise | AdChoices

“I just go and see what happens,” he said. “At spring break I told my friends a 'sick' vacation would be to come here and fight with the rebels.”

He spent $800 on a one-way ticket from L.A. to Cairo, then traveled by land across the border into Libya, where he has now been for nearly two weeks. His parents do not know he is here. He speaks no Arabic, and has been staying with fighters and families in the area.

“I haven’t spent a dollar in weeks,” he says, because the people of Libya have extended such hospitality.

He has no way of contact with the outside world, and on Tuesday was unsure of the date. Yet he seemed to be having the time of his life.

At the rebel checkpoint about 80 miles from Sirte, he held a Russian-made shotgun the rebels had given him, appearing to be unfamiliar with it. Then a rebel handed him an AK-47, and he awkwardly fired several rounds into the air. The fighters cheered and laughed before quickly taking the gun back.

The boisterous rebel fighters, clearly enjoying this foreigner who had joined their ranks, shouted competing offers for him to join their respective brigades. Jeon needed translation to understand what they were asking. He communicates with sign language, and broken Italian.

He said the rebels had bestowed upon him an honorary Libyan name: Ahmed El Maghrabi Saidi Barga. As he said it, the rebels roared in approval.

Jeon said he was “helping” the rebels, though he didn’t appear to be using firearms.

He was among the first rebel fighters who drove into Nawlifyia to take it from Qaddafi troops, he said. And he’s not worried about staying safe amid the possible battle for Sirte – the rebels have set a Saturday deadline for Qaddafi loyalists there to surrender, before they attack.

“I believe in destiny,” he said.

This article, " American college kid joins rebels for 'vacation'," first appeared on CSMonitor.com.

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If he gets out of it alive and without raping or torturing anyone, he's got one hell of a grad school application essay and he'll get a lot more out of Middle East news stories than most people.

At least he won't have to answer his adversity or conflict job interview questions with really pathetic stories about spreadsheets. Oh, and out comes the Blackberry, this interview's in the bag.

4. Buck Turgidson

Flipped a coin, coin said "awesome"

1 person likes this.
  5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

For some reason, I imagine the kid in the article looking like this guy:

[​IMG]

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I don't like the options for the poll. I think it is awesome but stupid and dangerous.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably a little more "liberally," like a mountain-bikey version of the dorky-dance Iran hikers.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Guy is an idiot. He should have fought along side the true leader of the sovereign nation of Libya- Gaddafi.

He could have also made a lot of money that way too.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm looking forward for him to shoot himself in the face...just to see what it's like.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I was going to vote awesome, until I read further and found out he is not actually doing any fighting, which made me downgrade it to meh.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a death wish.
    He goes there, gets paraded by the locals and gets free stuff, not to mention he's quasi-popular now.
    #winning

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Seems more stupid than anything. Ahmed El Maghrabi Saidi Barga doesn't seem like he fully understand the full seriousness of war.

13. conquistador#11

stupid because now the next administration has him on the communist watch list, like members of the lincoln brigade back in the day. Makes for a cool Lifetime movie though.

14. liljojo

liljojo Member

I wasn't aware there was such thing as a cool Lifetime movie.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, back in the day youngsters like ourselves looked forward to going off to war.

But here we are, internet warriors.

The answer is Brian Cook, BTW.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Unless the movie is about his mom back home worrying about him and his mom is played by Meridith Baxter Birney they won't make a Lifetime movie

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There's a pic of Jeon at the link.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

QFT when everyone has their boring essay stating "I created x values by doing x,y,z" blah, blah, blah. And he will be like I witnessed a revolution.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, you gotta update your Lifetime reference to Tori Spelling, Shannon Doherty or Sherilyn Fenn, or at least drop the Birney.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

meh

Killing people because you're bored, have some kind of wanderlust or more likely bi-polar....not so great.