1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Auto] Headlights

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rizzy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Where can I get my headlights restored? I'm talking about sanding down, buffing, cleaning, clearcoat, etc. My headlights are a bit scratched and kinda foggy and I need them looking brand new to sell. TIA!

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Any body shop will do it. Usually cheaper than a detailer.

Most detailers can do it with easy. Some charge 40-70.

You can buy a kit yourself. It is basically rubbing compound and the drill attachment.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This. It is very simple and easy. You don't even need the drill attachment. Elbow grease will work. Especially if you're just doing it to spiff up for sale.

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2meDyYNx8rY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where do you buy your elbow grease?

1 person likes this.
  6. ling ling

ling ling Member

what year and model of the car?

It might be cheaper to get a new headlamp.

7. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Anyone have first hand experience getting it done at a shop? Name of the shop? I've tried the DIY and it didn't work too well.

New headlights aren't cheap so that's out of the question.

8. BigSherv

I am at a car wash called Regency at Main and Kirby near reliant. They have a sign for both lights cleared for 39.99. I think a kit is 20. It it is up to you.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

apparently toothpaste works

10. Classic

Classic Member

These mobile car wash guys come to my office's parking garage and did mine as a part of my $40 detail.

Can't be hard to do.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The DIY method is pretty easy and cheap, just time consuming. Turned out real good in the end but unfortunately it doesn't last too long. And toothpaste and other quick rubbing solutions don't really work all that well. I would probably just buy new headlights next time, despite the cost.

12. Buck Turgidson

If you're one of the assholes with blue headlights then please leave them dirty. Or go get glasses if you can't see.

13. BigSherv

Hey Rizzy,

I got real answers for you.

I had to get a little body work done on my car. Just spraying some areas where the paint was scraped cracked on the bumper. I negotiated a price and at the end I asked if he could clear both headlights. He said sure. In the end he had to charge me 32 extra bucks because one had significant oxidation and it took more than the 20-30 minutes he imagined it would originally. He was right thought, it was completely opaque and the light barely came through.

So if you need a guy to do this you can go here.

Southwest Automotive 8719 Richmond 77063. Ask for Israel Palacios. 713-780-7445

He is very nice and did a great job. If I didn't have some rubber cracking on the edges of my light from age they would look brand new. Clear as can be and I can see both angel eyes now. So it may be more than 32 but know it will be done correctly.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What other kind of headlights are there?

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]