1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin, TX: Afraid of a lot of black people?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Austin requires a security officer for every x amount of people at large gatherings. And between the crawfish festival and the Relays going on during the same weekend, coupled in with the numerous other factors, it's reasonable to me that many businesses closed.

Besides, who really wants to go to Highland Mall? It's the worst mall in Austin.

2. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

link: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/19/7-diversity/

White people love ethnic diversity, but only as it relates to restaurants.

Many white people from cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York will spend hours talking about how great it is that they can get Sushi and Tacos on the same street. But then they send their kids to private school with other rich white kids, and live in neighborhoods like Santa Monica or Pacific Palisades.

But it’s important to note that white people to do not like to be called out on this fact. If you run an ethnic restaurant you can be guaranteed repeat business and huge tips if you act like your white customers are adventurous and cultured for eating food that it isn’t sandwiches or pasta.

3. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

OHHHH BOYYYY that was amazing! I had no idea why there were so many insanely cool and ghetto rides on I 35 last weekend.... I was stuck in traffic and somehow these 12 pimped out rides start doing figure 8s on the freeway and keep switchin lanes with eachother. and then the passengers got out are started dancing on the shoulders. By far the coolest thing I have seen.

I would be lying if I said I didn't join em with my coupe. ;)

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Philosophical question for you: Why do customers feel threatened by a bunch of urban kids? What do you think is making them feel that way?

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

...and women. ;)

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

People make generalizations and have preconceive notions of what to expect from people, particularly if they have little real experience with them. They tend to go by what they've seen on television, always a bad idea.

EXAMPLE
    Someone from a major city on the east coast or west coast finds out you're from Texas. They assume you've probably rode horses and worked on ranches your whole life, that's what they see on tv. In the same way, people assume that an "urban kid" is a killer/gang banger/drug dealer. You may find that some of the non-"urban people" who have been around them quite a bit don't feel as uneasy.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why do you think a lot of black people feel america is a racist nation. why do you think some blacks sometimes feel threatened by police departments. what would make them feel that way? philosophically speaking?

8. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Because they haven't traveled abroad and seen how much worse it is in other countries? Lack of perspective perhaps?

Because police departments enforce the law?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The slimeball level of your posts just never ceases to amaze.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but the people whom prejudices you justify do have perspective?

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

is your point more directed towards how the stereotypical "urban" kids dress and act? if it is that then i do agree with what you are trying to say. if the kids dressed and acted like "white" kids then the initial reaction from people wouldn't be the uncomfortable reaction. people tend to react differently when they see something that isn't familiar to them....and it's not just a white people only reacting to black people thing. it's a pretty universal thing.

12. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

So has anybody actually been to sixth street during relays like I have or are they just a bunch of criticizers who just happened to read it online or on the news?

13. joliver325

joliver325 Member

Probably just criticizers. I cant see how businesses would want to close up to a demographic who statistically outspend others races. So that doesnt hold up.

And if then there are less arrest for violence during that time also compared to other "more diverse" events as

14. Major

Major Member

Did you read this thread at all?

15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

That is far from what I am doing, and you know it. That's a high insult.

16. Major

Major Member

Teenagers who hang out in the streets and can't enter the bars to spend any money tend to spend more than other people? :confused:

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no i don't know it. you've done it in the past, in a thread about some black people who were detained in Dillards falsely, you brought up crime statistics. you do it everytime. so if its not prejudice you are condoning what do you call it, because you're certainly condoning somthing.

18. joliver325

joliver325 Member

To the contrary you have a LOT of college age drinkers, club going students who pay to get into parties and still got the regular patrons take frequent 6th street.

19. Major

Major Member

Except those people weren't on 6th Street this weekend. I was there - I already posted multiple times exactly what the scenario was. The bars that were open were relatively empty. The normal 6th Street crowd avoided the area because it was a mess.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Believe it or not, teenagers aren't the main folks going to relays. Granted, this is my opinion based on my experience with them. I have no numbers to back this up.

Black college students hit up relays hard, especially those in Texas. I know this for a fact because my frat, and every other black frat, all throw parties basically every night of the entire weekend. And all of the parties are generally full. Not to mention all the parties that are thrown by ex longhorns, etc. Plenty of "of age" people go to relays to party, so I am a little suprised that a place on 6th would close during that time, especially if they have no entrance fee. Again, all of these parties sell out at a certain time (some presale), so folks who want a drink still need somewhere to go.

Look at some of these pics for examples of all the Relays parties typically thrown, for college kids and adults (i.e. not teenagers):

http://www.indmix.com/pictures.html

Edit: I just read your last post. I wasn't at Relays this year, but I have tons of reports from friends who were there that noted folks (of age) were there partying and drinking like usual. So maybe y'all were just at different spots on 6th....and maybe they were just in a busier section. Or could it possibly be that folks like to go in, have a drink, then go back out in the street where everyone else is (if they aren't at a party)? When I went to Relays we would bar-hop a lot but not necessarily stay in a bar all night. Could this be why the bars seemes empty to you? Again, I haven't been to Relays in two years, so maybe things are changing. But when I went you could basically get into any bar you wanted (if walking on 6th) as long as someone wasn't having a party there that you had to pay to enter.

#100 Icehouse, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009