1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin, TX: Afraid of a lot of black people?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that Austin is very homogeneous. While the population is majority anglo, there is a significant minority presence in Austin, especially when you live close to the UT campus... Houston is EXTREMELY diverse which is why your view may be skewed a bit.

Austin Diversity

White- 65.40%
    Hispanic or Latino- 30.63%
    Black or African American- 9.88%
    Asian- 4.70%
    American Indian and Alaska Native- 0.53%
    Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander - 0.07%
    Some other race- 16.43%
    Two or more races - 3.00%

2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Having been on the strip in Las Vegas during NBA All-Star weekend a while back, I can't say I blame 'em, and it's also more of a class thing than race. Business owners aren't thinking, "o noes more blax!" they're thinking, "more people who are way more likely to be a nuisance to my business and lower profit margins, based on prior history."

3. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I think it's a mix of both.

Everyone on here knows exactly why they're doing this and can probably justify in their minds why these businesses want to do this, but are too afraid of calling it what it is and being a "racist." Obviously any sales they can make that day aren't worth the headache. I don't blame them and I see where they are coming from.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

this isn't racism. if it was a bunch of black entrepreneurs coming to town then there would be no problems. the problem is that it is a bunch of teens coming to town who don't know how to act.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Texxx is right. Except gentrification is driving out the brown element in E. Austin.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Austin isn't very homogenous. I used to live in Burlington, VT. Now that place was homogenous. Most days I wouldn't see any black people around.

96.5% white

0.8% black
    1.3% hispanic
    1.2% asian

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

maybe you should venture away from westlake

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i think the poster is commenting and celebrating the diversity of Austin with a comparison to a very homogenous town in Vermont.

what does that have to do with Westlake?

this is an interesting story sociologically.

9. Ryan Bowen MVP

Galveston closes down during Kappa weekend

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Sixth street is full of dumb teens many other times of the year. Businesses don't shut down for them.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would thought there would be more Asian people. When I was at IBM plant there were many of them.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Austin is about average for diversity....this is a business decision...so what?

DD

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Exactly, I'm not gonna tell them how to run their own private business. Having a mall open isn't exactly a right protected by the Bill of Rights and Constitution.

14. Major

Major Member

Not that it's happening in this case, but if a mall closes specifically to avoid serving black people, then it absolutely can be a Constitutional issue.

15. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I saw nothing but candy paint, 24's, and lambo doors on the way to campus from Riverside today. As if traffic couldn't get any worse...

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think it's a racist move. I can't lie...the last 4 times I went to Relays big fights broke out on 6th street. I can understand why folks wouldn't want to be open during that time.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

doh...i failed at reading comprehension...nevermind :p

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have heard Galveston does the same thing during the Kappa Beach Week.

A lot of stores are "Closed for remodeling"

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yes, but I'd sure hate to be the attorney who has to prove the mall was closed to avoid serving black people. For example, mall proprietors could easily argue that they were closing to let employees attend the celebration.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Malls probably make more money on MLK day than the relays. The difference is that adults are out with their wallets spending money on their family. Where as therelay kids, only got some spending money from their dad. The kids are just hanging out in the streets instead of hitting up Macy's and Neiman Marcus.