1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Toros, Rudy T, and Otis Thorpe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Nov 27, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well,

Tonight was the home opener for the Austin Toros, and although they lost the game, I saw a lot of players that may one day make it to the NBA.

But, the best part of the night was that the Toros had brought out Rudy T and Otis Thorpe as guests of honor, and I got to talk to both.

Rudy said his health is fine, and that he is enjoying his gig with the Lakers, I told him that I wish he would come back and coach the Rockets, as I think he would be a fit for Yao Ming. He was very gracious and accomadating, and a class act.

Also, I sat right behind Otis Thorpe and got a chance to chat with him a bit, we talked about the Toros and how they set a pick up top, but don't really roll effectively, and I said maybe he could get Kenny Smith and him to show them how one was supposed to work....he laughed.

Also, the Toros ran a zone, and I was yelling....."Quick some one call Van Gundy and show him how a zone works" OT was cracking up......

The Toros play was inconsistent with newcomer Marcus Fizer, clearly he has not had time to mesh with his new teamates, as the team was losing ground when he was in there, but doing well when he left.

Also, Andre Emmitt looked good, and Ezra Williams has a very nice stroke, especially from long range.

I think it will be fun...and if anyone wants to go to a game, let me know, I have 6 tickets....

2 right behind the home teams bench....I was kind of making Dennis Johnson smile a bit during a timeout......got to enjoy the game....

DD

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DaDa -
    Although we don't share the same sentiments about Rudy's return or Gundy using a zone, the Toros updates will be appreciated.

I tried to google what defense DJ used as coach of the Florida Flame. The info is almost non-existent except for...

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041203/SPORTS/412030446/0/ENT11

IMO his use of zone in game 2 is more a function of early season necessity rather than long-term desire.

BTW...do they serve beer at the Convention Center? I'm going to need a little enticement beyond the fact that I think Andre Emmet may be a pick up one day when JB and Wesley stop lacin' up. :)

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, they server nice Ice cold Dos XX.

:)

DD