1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers being released by Suns

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SRR21, Dec 17, 2018.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

What short memories we have....

2. noppeper

noppeper Member

My disdain of Rivers is because he sucks at basketball. I could care less if he is a douche or whatnot, I just don't think he is a winning player.

He is very similar to Lin, trying to be the hero every time they step on court, but they don't have it to do so, at least not with the way they like to play.Then they do have a hero game every 20 games or so, and they continue to think they can do so in the future, instead of ever accepting what they really are.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Dude averaged 15 PPG on 38% shooting from 3-pt range last year. We're talking about basically adding him for free.

I dislike him because, to me, he's basically Blake Jr. A fake tough guy, trash talking punk and overall loser that's never accomplished anything. We're probably not far off in our opinions of him personally, but his on-court production warrants a more fair evaluation than simply he sucks.

MCW is a fringe NBA player and Knight is a total wild-card being so far removed from meaningful minutes. He could help.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All your redundant players belong to Grizzlies!

amaru likes this.
  5. noppeper

noppeper Member

I respectfully disagree.

I don't know him personally and like I said, could care less if he is or is not a fake tough guy and punk. If he can play, I'd take him. For example, I'll take Draymond in a heartbeat, even with all his douchebaggery. You used Jason Terry as an example before, and I'd take him too. These are proven winners that elevate their games when things get rough. Those are the players I want; players that do anything to help their team win, even if it means sacrificing some of their game for the good of the team.

My problem with Rivers is that he is not the Terry/Draymond type of player, on the contrary, he is almost the complete opposite, and it seems to be mostly because he doesn't just realize he is a complementary player that should just find his niche and stick to it. Instead, he likes to plays hero and in the process, kills rallies with boneheaded plays, seems to be out of position at the most inopportune times and always seems to miss that one key shot that his team really needed. Basically, he cannot be trusted to contribute to a team with championship aspirations, at least not with the way he likes to play, when it matters most.

I compared him to Jeremy Lin, and his infamous Portland playoff game is a perfect example of what I mean by my last paragraph, and Rivers is THAT type of player as well.

These things don't matter too much in the dog days of December and January, but when the games start to matter, making all of these little mistakes, over and over, throughout the span of a players career can very negatively affect a team. You have to have the trust of your teammates and not have them rolling their eyes after every stupid play you make, especially when margins for error become smaller.

Maybe, at some point of his career, he'll find the right fit and come into his own. Maybe by not trying to do too much and just being part of a team. But right now, from what I've seen of him consistently, he tries to do much more than he can and should, and it always seems to affect his team negatively.

Hard pass on this guy, period.

Outlier and baller4life315 like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I considered it momentarily and threw up in my mouth a little.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fair enough, @noppeper. Like I said, I’m concerned about our starters playing too many minutes. 15 PPG and 38% shooting from 3-pt range even with some warts could have helped, but it’s all a moot point now given he signed in Memphis.

I’d imagine the post trade deadline buyout market will probably produce better players/fits in a month or so.

noppeper likes this.
  8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

What the hell are the Suns doing just doing a buyout now? He's an expiring contract in that decent mid-salary range, they couldn't have used it in a trade? The Knicks are gonna wanna get off those Courtney Lee and Hardaway Jr contracts, they could have gotten some draft sweeteners for cap relief.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Suns paid 15M for the rights to rent Oubre for 3/4 of a season in which the Suns will be the worst team in the West.

The Wizards threw away Oubre for the rights to rent Ariza for 3/4 of a season where they may or may not make the playoffs and got no Luxury Tax relief in the trade.

10. noppeper

noppeper Member

Definitely a fair concern, but we already have one of these duds in MCW and don't need another one. Heck, I know this is like choosing between a stiff and a corpse, but I'd still take MCW over Rivers, simply because he has more potential to perhaps, when pigs fly and the stars align, to be a 3&D type of player. Too bad he still tries to be a point guard and not show any interest to be a contributor to team defense.

I also feel that Knight might give us something; the last game against Utah gave me some optimism there. He seems to play at a good pace that will hopefully help the Rockets offensively, and showed a lot of tenacity defensively.

baller4life315 likes this.
  11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

there's a difference between" you hate a player because he burned us everytime he played us ( due to his play) and a player who dissed our players and disrespected them just for the hell of being a dick.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deuce and Vivi like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

amaru and Vivi like this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wants to join a playoff contender?

Guess that rules out the Rockets. Damn.

amaru likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i would welcome rivers he is a good player ...solid combo guard

17. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Would anyone be surprised if Austin demanded more than the minimum to sign here.