1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers Agent names Houston as a good fit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Would you take Rivers at 14?

1. Yes

224 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I've seen several mocks Rivers going to Houston. I think his stock rise, he measured 6'5 in shoes so GM's aren't really worried about him being a undersized SG anymore.

I think he would be a fantastic pick for us personally, at very least he will bring attention and more media to Houston because Austin is one of the more talked about rookies. We would at least be guaranteed a couple national television games versus Boston.

Rivers played top notch competition last year in the ACC and averaged 15 per game. If you watched Duke at all last year you would've seen Seth Curry dominate the ball most possessions. Rivers season high was 29pts versus North Carolina including the game winning shot. He def has that clutch gene.

He has a great work ethic, and you know his dad will be pushing him wherever he lands and won't let him just settle. You can tell Austin has that desire to get better, and be the best.

Rivers has the most upside at 14 then anyone else that will be available, he's only 19 years old. Assuming K-Mart isn't bad next year, Lee defending Rivers everyday in practice would be terrific in his development.

Other Highlights:

1 person likes this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

idk too much about Rivers......tbh

3. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

He's a lights out shooter, can shoot off the dribble and can create space with ease. Has a variety of crossovers and can finish at the basket creatively. Offensively he's set, he has quick feet so the defensive potential is there.

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I'm sorry but there's nothing special about him and since when is shooting an average of 15-20 ppg considered being a lights out shooter. Chrisc Jackson was a lights out shooter, averaged 25-32 ppg and had around 10-20 40-55 pt games in one year.

5. 45souf

45souf Member

if not 14, 16 is a real landing spot

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

14-3, disgusting.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

If Rivers actually had a good season at Duke, we wouldn't even be talking about possibly taking him around our pick.

Prior to the season he was very highly rated but did not have the season a lot of people expected, but if he DID have the season everyone expected we would not have even been able to interview Rivers.

Some people on the site are so blind and nitpicking at the little things. I personally think he'd be a good fit for Houston.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Don't think people like him very much here on clutchfans, but I'm all for Houston picking a young player who actually believes he is a star for a change. Plus, the NBA tends to create stars even if they aren't. I think Rivers has the skill set, personality, and heritage the NBA would want to advertise as star potential. I personally thought he was overrated going into college, but I did see some tremendous games he had with duke in some pressure situations. I say, why not, we could do worse at 14.

9. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Steve Novak is a lights out shooter and averaged 8 PPG, theres a difference between being a lights out scorer and shooter.

10. Sooty

He was rated bloody highly coming out of high school. If he had the season people thought he would have had, he wouldnt be in contention for our pick and go much much higher.

Avery Bradley is anther highly rated one out of high school but had a disappointing freshman season and only now is he just hitting his straps after falling down in the draft.

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

I don't think he will be available at 14. I would love to have him if he is there. He is slightly undersized 2 because of a standing reach of only 8'1". I also don't think he is worth trading Kyle Lowry for.

12. Trip

Trip Member

Article in the Toronto Star today that featured quotes from Rivers that he considers himself to be in the 4-12 range. He also praised the Raptors as a good fit. At this stage, I wouldn't put much stock into what the potential draftees say, since they would be limiting themselves if they were to specifically say that a team wouldn't be a good fit.

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Wasn't Morris supposed to the player with star potential?

I don't have a problem with Rivers though. If we keep picking players with potential at 14th, than we are bound to pick a player that reaches his all-star potential.

14. Sooty

He's doing what Morris did as a Freshman?

15. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Poor man's OJ Mayo? All this talk about him not having elite explosiveness makes me think he won't really cut it as a SG in the league.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Guess he is sweet talking all the GMs. What a slut!

J.R. likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I always thought, watching interviews, that Morris believed he could become a star; Rivers believes it now. I still think Morris could be a good player if used the right way, on the block.

18. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Naw this dude has chutzpah. He'd be a steal and is exactly of what we need (a guy who is just a flat out, athletic scorer).

19. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If Rivers is available at 14.. take him, no questions asked.

20. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

Yea I'd take him at 14. I think his skill level compensates for his lack of elite athleticism. He looks like a poor man's Brandon Roy to me.