1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin: light rail?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by the futants, Nov 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

i'm just curious if any of you austin folks are supporting light rail. i, personally, skipped it on the ballot last week. i live (own) centrally so i'm not as directly affected by it as others are in the outer reaches of the community. also, i'm not convinced that folks in the Cedar Park area, with their expensive homes and expensive suv's, would be willing to ride a train to (near) downtown.

2. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I voted for it. My theory is that you've gotta start somewhere. Getting downtown sucks, parking sucks worse.

I think the logic of putting light rail where they want to is that this is where the traffic is the worst. 183 is a MESS during rush hour. It's only going to get worse.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It would be nice to get rid of some of the drunk drivers leaving 6th St.

4. cson

cson Contributing Member

voted for it. Wanting Austin not to become a big city isn't going to stop it from happening...might as well prepare

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You guys need something. I can't stand driving in Austin and I live in Houston.

You have the shortest on-ramps in the country. I usually just mash the pedal to the floor and close my eyes when I try to get on I-35 from any ramp downtown.

6. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

four years ago, i voted for it in austin and it BARELY lost. i was sad. for such an up and growing awesome city, i thought the people would embrace it. i was wrong. since the city is constructed in a mostly north-south manner (unlike Houston's huge circle), i thought the light rail was a clear way to go. it would ease some traffic on 35 and mopac.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I voted for it, too, got to start somewhere and the city is the right size to start the plan.

DD

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

AGAINST. Against making Austin 'Toll Road City USA'.

An e-mail that I rec'd:
    Shame on you DaDakota! ;)

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Voted for it...maybe it will get so many of these STUPID drivers off the road...but prolly not :(

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Voted against 4 years ago, when I lived in Austin. Too bad I don't live there now to do the same. Putting the money into upgrading the freeways would go alot further towards reducing traffic than a half-baked rail scheme. Austin's public transportation system, Capital Metro, is actually much better than Houston's.

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

i voted for it...traffic in austin is horrible...

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cohen,

You do know that Mayor Wynne asked that the bridge at William Cannon be removed from the toll road plan, right?

DD

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I supported light rail ~ I believe it is a big winner tonight. :cool:

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Nope. I've been out of town, when did he say that?

Maybe it has something to do with the effort to recall him? That the State-level politicians distanced themselves from this horrible plan, leaving the locals hanging?

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Just because winn says that, is it assured?

And what about all of the other toll roads? We'll still be 'toll road city USA' without this one toll.