1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin City Limits Festival - 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Apr 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Lineup is out today...

http://www.aclfestival.com/2014-lineup/

Looks to be a better top 2 lines than last year (IMO)...with the exception of Skrillex and Lana Del Rey.

Still leaning towards not going this year. Already have my passes for the Utopia Festival. Much smaller (capacity is 1800) and only 2 stages that do not bleed into each other...and camping.

If I were going, I'd be seeing Eminiem, Pearl Jam, Outkast, The Replacements, The Avett Bros, Spoon, Broken Bells Jimmy Cliff, Chvrches, Fitz & the Tantrums, Rebelution, J. Roddy Walston, and Ozomatli.

Maybe I'll shoot for the mid-week, last minute cancellations that result in $50 3-day passes.

#1 leroy, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Convictedstupid

Got my pass. Meh on the lineup, but it'll be my first ACL so it should be enjoyable.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'll do the usual decline then wish I was going when it gets closer. So much easier and cheaper, too. Lineup isn't quite where I'd like it to be, but it's early, there are a few I'd love to catch, and there's always enough there to make it awesome.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I like this lineup. Zoe is also a really good band out of mexico. I enjoy their music and I dont even understand spanish. They got a really nice progressively mellow sound to them.

5. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Picked up weekend 1 tickets only because OU weekend is falls on week 2. Eminem and Childish Gambino will be great.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I dig the non-headliners and it will be fun to see Pearl Jam and Outkast (even though Big Boi killed it a couple years ago). I will tey to do what I did last year and buy my pass on the way in Friday, second weekend.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like it's a good lineup. Anybody complaining either doesn't understand the hold that EDM has on popular music these days (count me in that group, but I know it's popular) or doesn't realize that C3 has to book these people for two weekends. The Lorde move is interesting, considering that she's only on the second weekend. Given the lighter attendance last year, this is probably a move to mitigate that.

I usually get tickets through work and am excited to see Outkast and The Replacements. The rest is just gravy.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

excited about beck, eminem, and outkast. bought my ticket this morning

9. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I read online that they'll be releasing single day tickets later this year. I've never been, but I'm interesting in previous years how much do the single day tickets cost? How quickly do they sell out? I'm really just trying to see Eminem live without having to pay 225..

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good headliners but not really great in-between (which is why you should really be going to music festivals in the first place). Maybe they put someone like Polica or Interpol during a day show, but beware that it will be at a time where few other good bands are playing and EVERYONE will flock to that one show. During peak hours you will have to choose between one good band or another most likely, and completely miss quality shows.

If you've never been to ACL before this seems to be a re-occurring theme. The headliners that you'd want to see, you will see with 40K other people and wish you would have just seen them in their own concert in a better venue.

The side bands can be good but they dont hold a candle to the side bands/dj/artists you get at bigger and better festivals like Coachella/Bonnaroo/Glasglow.

Point is, if you want to see one band in particular, try to see them at an after show, or whenever they come to town as a single act. If you are ok with getting a sampler platter of all these artists and accept that your favorite artist/band might be a mile away from where you can get an optimal viewing you will have a good time.

Yes... it is a great time, but dont get upset when you go for the first time, and are upset that didn't get to see every show you wanted with a good concert experience. Also you dont have to deal with all the BS that you have to deal with when SXSW is in town. Its a busy Austin weekend/s sure, but not nearly as crazy as SXSW even though at SXSW you can get much better & intimate shows.

#10 dobro1229, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i agree. i've been in austin/san marcos for almost 6 years and i haven't seen a lineup that i've been dying to see from ACL yet.

nocturnalfest was the shiznit. too bad they aren't doing it anymore

12. dobro1229

At least 120 bucks which I believe what it was last year. If you want to do even a day and a half or two days, get the 3 day pass. You wont get much out of just one day. I've gone on a one-day pass before, been there all day, and truly got to enjoy maybe 4 shows.

13. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Only interested in seeing Em since I'll be seeing more than half of the line up at Governors Ball!

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lineup is stacked this yr wut are u on about

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm too old for festivals. Especially ones during football season.

16. dobro1229

Its better than most years (especially if you like more electronic) but there are a few people going for their first time. I've been probably 7 times at least and just letting people know what to expect.

They are doing better and attracting a younger crowd now though with their headliners. If Beck is your 4th headliner you are doing pretty good. Gone are the days where Phish and Willie Nelson are your 2nd headliners.

However the DJ movement really makes it easy to bring in more big name EDM guys in those spots. I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and stumbled into a club where Steve Aoki was playing and found out he played two shows already that same day in Miami and Denver. Those guys are workaholics.

Anyways, if you guys get to go this year enjoy, and look out for any cool after shows. Do a little research and its not hard to find some really good ones. If you need some pointers, let me know. I miss the hell out of living in Austin, and wish I was in town either of those weekends.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

To me, it's not all about the music I know. Part of why I love ACL is discovering bands I've never heard of until 6:45 this morning. If all else fails, I'll be at the Austin Ventures stage. Buck, you better ****ing be around this year.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Looks good to me.

19. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

If the Mats and Belle and Sebastian play on the same day, I'm going. Added bonuses if any of the following are also playing that day: Pearl Jam, Beck, Outkast, Jimmy Cliff, Jenny Lewis (not for her music, but I've been in love with her since a 1988 growing pains episode), and maybe Interpol.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This **** is way too cool for me.