1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attn: Pryuen...question about Yi Jianlian and Sun Yue

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by shaggylambda, Mar 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I was recently on http://nbadraft.net/ and noticed Yi Jianlian and Sun Yue on the draft boards. Can you give me an objective analysis on how good these guys are, would they be a good fit on the Rockets, etc.? I know they play different positions, and that they have different games then Yao, but how are thier skill at the present time campared to Yao's when he was a draft prospect? Do they have potential for improvement? I think the Rockets may benefit by having them on the team, but it doesn't look likely. Yi Jianlian is projected to go as high as 6th. That's pretty high. It peaked my curiosity. Any info would suffice.

2. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

3. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

Are we trying to make the Rockets become the CNT?

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yi could be very good if he keeps developing, he has imporved his game every year for the last three years, especially if he get stronger physically like Yao did. Sun on the other hand is useless to the rockets.

5. ysong00

ysong00 Member

Yi is very althletic, and in china is basically #2 to Yao. Of course, his numbers and domination in China can be seen as a result of the weak competition, but the same was said for Yao. But it is true that Yao's numbers were much more dominating in the CBA.

It's hard to really compare Yi and Yao, since they obviously play different positions, and have different games. I think many people in america assume that since they are both chinese, they can be compared similarily. For instance, Yao's shooting touch is amazing for a centre, but of course for a 1, 2, or 3, its nothing special, but still good. Yi has a pretty good shooting touch for a PF, but since he actually plays a hybrid 3/4, his shooting abilities cant be treated as anything as special as Yao. Actually, I think Yao still has a better touch, not even because he is a center.

However, for athleticism, Yi is leap years ahead of Yao. Where it has taken some years to get Yao athletic enough to dominate in the NBA as a centre (still a work in progress of course), Yi can come into the league at a similar athletic level for a SF/PF as many top picks that are college seniors. And he HAS hops. In some of his videos on youtube, it looks like he not that up there, but he can actually almost get his shoulders up to the rim. Plus, you dont need to jump high when playing against 6ft chinese dudes ;)

Even his strength isn't that bad. I'd say he isn't even that far off for durant. Of course he needs to put on some weight, but if he plays the 3, he really doesn't need that much. A few big macs should do it :D Also, Yi's winspan for is size is much more similar to most nba players than Yao's winspan is.

For teams that he is suited for (ie Golden State, NJ, Denver, Pheonix), he should be a top 5 pick. If Pheonix can pick him up with their 6th pick, it would be a steal. But on half court teams, where speed is not as important as strength, I would still consider him a first rounder, but not top 5.

All in all, he is 7 feet tall (maybe 7'1?), can run like a 2/3, shoot like a 3, and loves to dunk. And since he is several years younger than Yao, all those personality traits that Yao posses regarding not dunking, being gentle, not being aggressive enough, are less prominant in Yi, just cause he grew up in a more mature and westernized chinese society. This may not seem very significant, but I think will help him a lot as he adjusts to the NBA and america.

6. metalshred

metalshred Member

Nothing says better than watching their plays urself buddy.

NBA Prospect--Sun Yue

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dY4y8AeEzlo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dY4y8AeEzlo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

NBA Prospect--Yi Jian Lian

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A6plJTvMW04"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A6plJTvMW04" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. metalshred

metalshred Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TxHjuRoTLxA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TxHjuRoTLxA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. metalshred

metalshred Member

The previous video was Yi, This is SUn Yue

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1pvpnuZ_Vk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1pvpnuZ_Vk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

9. metalshred

metalshred Member

Yi is a great offensive player, and killer instinct which many chinese players lack, Sun Yue is a terrific ball handler, he's 6'9(hope my memory is not that bad) and plays SF, a great player. He has nice passes. I think they'll both do well in the NBA.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love to have Yi on the Rockets.

DD

11. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

let's trade for the rights to yi jianlian and sun yue and then let's acquire wang zhizhi.

12. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

I hope you are only comparing Yi's STRENGH with Durant here. Am I correct?

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

You forgot Menke Bateer.

We can play a formation of one Guard, one 7'1" SF who can drive and hit the outside shots, and three bigs.

Sun Yue - PG
    Yi Jianlian -SF
    Wang Zhi Zhi - PF
    Menke Bateer - C1
    Yao - C2

The average height is like 6'11". This team is gonna rock. :D

Seriously, I think Yi's game is tailor-made for the Pheonix Suns. The only knock on him is that he might not (at least not yet) have enough strength to play defense in the NBA now. But the Suns don't play defense anyway. When was the last time you saw Amare give a decent effort to stop his man defensively?

#13 RocketForever, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  14. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Suns are loaded at front court now. I don't think they will draft Yi. They will try to get a good SF (so that they can trade Marion some day) or a good PG (to prepare for their life after Nash).

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

There is no life after Nash for the SUNs, it is the end. ;)

16. code9x

code9x Contributing Member

I saw Sun Yue twice. I thought the last time i saw him at azusa pacific, his dribbling was kind of better and his shooting improved. sun yue is a decent/good player. i liked his shotblocking too...