1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attn ClutchFans: Time to Get a Grip

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 19, 2016.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nah, not really a good time to get a grip. Les is selling a product. A significant segment of his customer base does not like the product changes he's proposing for the latest generation of his product. Should these customers give their feedback with their voices now, or vote with their wallets later?

It could be that D'Antoni hits the ground running and all the critics will be silenced. But, anything short of unmitigated success is going to be met with more second-guessing because so many people have no confidence in this hire in the first place. He'll have no margin for error and no grace period. Maybe that's something Les should think about before making this hire. If he's confident that D'Antoni is going to be great anyway, he needn't worry about it. But, if he's only marginally better than the alternative, Les is putting himself behind the 8 ball by hiring someone with such a damaged reputation.

1 person likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

What we currently have? We have a free agency to go through.

I think you are underestimating our offense last season. We got a few long, athletic youngsters in McDaniels, Harrell, Dekker, and Capela for the pace. We can grab another ballhandler in FA and/or a shooter. Beasley knows how to get buckets and has a cheap contract next season.

I just don't get the doom and gloom. And the lack of open mind.

3. dmoneybangbang

I would prefer a coach like Messina personally over coaches like MDA/Vogel/JVG who hang their hat on one side of the floor.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

And best of all, you're able to express that sentiment in a manner that doesn't make you sound like a 7th-grade girl who just found out she can't have the One Direction-themed birthday party she had her heart set on. ;)
    <BR>

5. dmoneybangbang

That is true. Whether we like it or not, this is a product. Would a Vogel/JVG led offense put casual fans to sleep? I don't know.

6. dmoneybangbang

I still can't get over that birthday! But yea.... too many emotional posters on here.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We will be in the lottery within 5 years

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you, and the answer to that is both.

OP can take his swill and go be positive by himself. We are fans, we have hopes, and there were better coaches (plural) available. The entire country acknowledges that. And Pringles' skills do not address our needs, at all.

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Nash wasn't a great player till he was coached by MDA not the other way around. I'm not a MDA guy at all but don't spit out baseless BS. Harden is better than Nash was before he was coached by MDA and regardless what some or u guess a lot think he actually is a MDA type of player. He can shoot get to the hoop and is a great passer out of the pick and roll.

Harden will put up crazy numbers in his offense and at great effeciency. What we need is a strong assistent coaching tree behind MDA. Similar to Kerr first year in GS with Alvin gentry.

I would love to have a deep assistent coaching tree. I hated seeing JBB and finch. Get some guys who have been HCs before all the good teams besides the Spurs seem to have ex HCs on there bench. We need that too.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Attn topfive:
    I didn't like your post and I don't like D'Antoni.

True. We haven't hired him yet. I hope like hell that we don't actually. But given the Rockets current roster and their current strengths vs weaknesses, and given what we have seen from teams where D'Antoni has been the head coach (not assistant coach) with those teams strengths vs weaknesses- it's hard to imagine a worse possible fit.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

The fact that we actually held a rally to support Kenny Smith being our coach already made it clear we're not the brightest fanbase

1 person likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

My "swill"? Really? I'm surprised you didn't say "OP and those of his ilk."

Anyway, the idea that "Pringles' skills do not address our needs, at all" is a bit of a reach, considering half of the posters here on CF have spent the last FOUR YEARS complaining that we need a well-defined offensive system that would reduce the ISO play and maximize Harden's abilities while also keeping his teammates involved. D'Antoni can do that. Defense will remain a problem unless Morey brings in better defensive talent, regardless of who's coaching us, but at least with MDA you get someone who can take advantage of your superstar offensive player's skills (something JVG never really did very well with T-Mac).

My entire point with this thread was that hiring D'Antoni will not make the sky fall, even if everyone on CF is running around with their hands in the air, crying big-ass tears.
    <BR>

1 person likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think he meant your koolaid.

topfive, I beg you to reconsider and come to the right side, we could you use your power for the cause.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The reaction is nuts.

Yeah I wanted jvg too but dantoni is not a bad coach

16. dmoneybangbang

I think the reactions of the last year would be a great human study...

The same folks who are against this potential hiring are the ones who have been pulling their hair out because of the offense.

Declaring us to mediocrity simple because MDA is just foolish and an emotional response.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

absolutely the funniest comment on CF today. you win, hands down, Zerg! will rep.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well I did not want JVG at all but that's a moot point now. While he's not a bad coach he should by all means not be confused with a good one. Also I have to ask a simple question: IF D'Antoni is such a good coaching hire why hasn't his name been mentioned in any of the numerous coaching openings that have since been filled? In fact the only time his name has come up is here with the Rockets. I'd be most interested to see the reasons why Morey & Less believe that a guy whose teams have never finished in the top ten in defense would be the answer to this team's obvious defensive woes. Of course, it could well be that I'm looking at things in the wrong light - I am looking for a team that can have a legit shot at winning an NBA title while Les & Morey may just be looking at NBA basketball as entertainment for the masses.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree. I was hoping for a more inspired coaching search, but hell...D'Antoni blows Bickerstaff out of the water.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A really low bar... a number of AAU coaches might meet that bar...