1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attendance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Sep 11, 2009.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think I trended in the opposite direction.

Grad school: occasionally
    High school: very rarely
    College: Only the 2 days where it was -70 out with wind chill
    Work: Use my sick days for vacation; come in when I'm sick

2. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Grade school, missed some due to chicken pox, missed a few for my grandfather's funeral in HK.... Other than that, asian parents don't let me miss much. They even tried to make me hide my chicken pox....

High school pretty much never missed a class

College attendance... haha.... Missed so many classes it wasn't even funny

Job-wise, I rarely miss a day. Might be late a few times or took a few mornings off, but generally, I'm here.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Only missed due to illness in grades K-12. I did fake being sick one time in 7th grade, because we had lost a basketball game and I knew we were going to be punished with a lot of running. Haha.

College I missed plenty of classes, just depended on the class and if I could afford to miss. I had a basic Biology class that had test questions from an online test bank, so I only showed up for the test in that one. A couple of marketing classes were the same way. Other than those, I'd miss a day here and there in most classes but nothing crazy.

4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Your experience is pretty much dead on for me.

K-12: Never missed except a day or two as a kid with 100+ fever. I've always wondered why people skipped school before having access to a car.

College: Probably missed 80% of my classes. I'd do the first day get syllabus, and attend on review days/test days. The best was going in for my statistics final review day and it turned out to be the test day. Still not sure how I passed that course.

Work: I use up the time given (vacation/sick/comp) but try to keep some stored just in case.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Grade school -- great attendance
    High School -- Had chance to travel twice so I missed a lot there. Had a couple of Gr 11 and Gr 12 classes that I neglected to attend on a regular basis. But I got good grades.
    University -- Decent attendance. Though I did take a number of ski days -- and had a couple of trips that took a week or two away from classes.
    Work -- Never had a sick day in 20+ yrs.

(and back in grade school we used to say "present please" We thought that was soooo freaking funny. But we were 8).

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

grade school and high school --rarely missed a day unless I was in my death bed I would be forced to go even if I was running super high fevers etc.

College: would attend depending on the class and teacher actually. If it was something that I learnt just as well by reading on my own then i probably would miss a lecture weekly...I never missed the discussion sessions though. There was one class though I only showed up for on the days of the tests.

work: rarely miss work...unless I am sick or taking a vacation. I dont usually take a day off of work "because I feel like it" or call in "sick" I do leave early on days though and will use PTO time for that but my work attendance is pretty good.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

K-12 : Never missed a day except for maybe one or two. There was no way I was gonna get away with skipping, and I never really even had a desire to.

College : Skipped classes all the time....honestly a little too much, but I still did decently well in classes so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Work : Me and my dad own our own engineering company, so I play hooky every now and then, but nothing too bad. Usually just miss when I go on trips or vacations.

8. no_answer

no_answer Member

grade school = miss as many days as legally possible
    college = miss as many days as allowed
    work = I stay home all day :)

9. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Grade school: missed for the chicken pox
    High school: perfect attendance (if you don't count consistently tardy)
    college: didn't even miss the days that it was -70 with wind chill. But then class was cut short because there was no heat in the building and I had to trek all the way back.
    office work: never missed even when I was sick enough to get others sick
    culinary work: Finally changed that attitude (you don't want a sick cook, believe me!)

But I am still just as obsessive about my kids attendance (Asian blood I guess ;) ) and had a hard time with JV wanting to keep our daughter home over a sore throat last week.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Elementary - nearly perfect save for the occasional serious illness

Middle & High - I would fake being sick here and there.

College - never missed...even w/ hangovers etc. The fact that I'm paying for it gave me that mentality.

Work - never missed work, haven't had anything serious enough to contemplate using a sick day....but I missed 4 days because of some big hurricane (I can't keep track of them anymore) and I was stuck in Vegas (bachelor party) and couldn't get a flight home because Ft. Lauderdale & Miami airport were both out of service.

11. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Grade school - almost never
    High School - illnesses, and family trips
    college - last year i skipped almost anything i could. As in attendance and lectures didnt really help your grade
    This year though looks like I have to go to every class so that sucks.

12. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Grade school: Skipped when I wanted.
    Middle school: Same
    High school: Same
    Undergrad: never :confused:
    Work: I'm there enough to keep my job.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't remember well enough

elementary: was at school most of the time i'm sure...stayed home if i was sick

middle: pretended to be sick on occasion, faked sickness in school to go to the nurse's office to skip English a lot (until they said 'no more missing 5th period in the nurse's office), and stayed home if i was sick

high school: at school most of the time...stayed home if i was sick. probably just a few days a year. I don't recall skipping classes...if I did, it was just a couple of times

college: i'm guessing i went to about 2/3 of my classes overall. Sometimes half, sometimes all if attendance was part of the grade

grad school: probably 90% except the one class that was easy--only went for the final there

work: only missed on rare occasions when i'm actually sick. But I can flex the hell out of my time and take 4 day weekends without using vacation...and I get good vacation time.. so I don't feel the need to skip out when I'm actually here. And if I do, I just leave early and make it up another day so I don't count it as missing

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Grade school - It was great, rarely missed a day until 11th grade, missed about 9 days...

College - So FAR.. none missed.

Work -- part time job don't really count.. but didn't miss a day.

15. rawool

rawool Member

Until high school, I would only miss class if I were really feeling sick.
    College, pretty much only missed a few lectures from my cores.