1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ATT Uverse feedback

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Mar 12, 2015.

?

Your take on Uverse

Poll closed Mar 17, 2015.
  1. I have it and I would recommend you make the jump

55.6%
  2. I have it and I would advise against the jump

16.7%
  3. I abstain, courteously

27.8%
  1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I attempted to switch from Uverse to Comcast internet last year, they sent me the modem and I installed it but it wouldn't work and they said they'd have to send out a tech and it would be 10 days until they could do that. So I told them to **** themselves I'm not going 10 days without internet and went back to Uverse.

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I would try again, but this time, don't cancel Uverse until everything is up and running lol.

Are you able to use DirecTV on-demand with Uverse speeds?

Even with my good Comcast connection it would struggle from time to time

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have no problem with the On-Demand loading, but there a lot of times when it stops working and i have to reset the box.

But I'm one of the "lucky" ones that can get Uverse Power 45mpbs.

4. Scionxa

Nice. Uverse 45/6 isn't bad at all. I'll eventually want to switch when "gigapower" comes out, but then again I hate how it's a hassle to bridge their modems to use your own router

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have the same Uverse speed and have had no problems. The only issues I've had since moving my service from Austin is that it gets spotty during storms...which seems weird. I, too, will move to gigapower once it's available to me.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gigapower can't come soon enough.

7. Scionxa

That is strange actually, considering it's not satellite TV.

Probably some lines getting wet that aren't properly covered.

8. toby

toby Member

Looks like 75 is available in my area. Anyone currently using this speed?

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am quoted $90 plus taxes for basic internet plus U-200. Is that an ok deal?

10. Scionxa

That internet alone makes it a bad deal. Uverse isn't even considered broadband anymore by the government unless you're on a plan with more than 25mbps.

Might be better off getting a $29.99 comcast internet deal for 50mbps and 5 up.

Then signing a two year contract with either Dish, or DirecTV and take advantage of some promotiional offer that'll give you equal or more channels for less money.

You can always haggle Comcast every year by threatening to cancel

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It is. This is a rental house and I didn't demand they go all out in the installation process.

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Once you do it a few times it's actually pretty simple.
    Now that I am an "expert" at doing that, looking back at all the various tutorials online...they are confusing. There are 4 steps

Change internal IP so it's not the same network as the router
    Enable IP Passthrough - selecting your router
    Turn off firewall
    Disable WiFi

13. Scionxa

Yeah, I've had to do it for my mother.

Got the Uverse gateway on the 192.168.1.254, and then used the 172.16.10 subnet for the personal router, and then the things you mentioned. I think I found a guide on dslreports for the specific gateway she is on.

It just sucks having to do it but you're absolutely right, it just takes about 15 minutes of time and that's it.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It is if that includes the football package.

15. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

One of the reps at ATT did something shady and instead of offering me a promotion for the same account, cancelled my old account and created a new one. I guess she had some sale incentive for doing so but I was clueless that this was what she was doing. So fast forward 2 months later I have two accounts where 1 account is being charged a $135 termination fee. I also made my next payment to the old account since I did not know I had a new account.

So I called back in to customer service explaining it and first 3 calls got me no where. It was a combination of just unhelpful agents and getting hung up on once. I then got to a sensible person who not only removed the $135 termination fee, but since transferring money between accounts was not possible, he just credited me the money I paid into the old account in addition to giving me a credit of the same amount into the new account, so in the end, I made like an extra $130.

They made it right in the end but man, it I was so pissed off when I saw that termination fee and realized what that shady sales rep had pulled on me.

16. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I find that blasting @ATT and @ATTCares on Twitter gets me the best response times when I have a bad CSR experience.

17. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Just got it last month. Routinely get 80Mbps down via wired connection...but again, very limited by the AT&T gateway where wifi is concerned. Plugged in my old ASUS AC router and voila...good wifi speeds as well.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've switched out my router and had them out to service the line and my performance still sucks. I get disconnected every night between 1:30AM-2:00AM like clockwork. Not a big deal for everyone - but I'm usually on my last game of the night about that time. Pisses me off.

I'm probably headed back to Comcrap soon.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I had the same issue for a couple weeks early in June. Watching netflix on PS3 about that time of night and it would bump me off and wouldn't sign in again. I'd have to shut it down and restart. I just ignored it and it went away though. :grin:

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

The u-verse router is terrible. The internet is not responsive at all. I am thinking of cancelling my service even though I am dreading asking comcast to enter my apt.

134 for U200 + 18mbps before tax. Eh little too much.

I was paying 118 for the last year.