1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Atlanta Hawks move Millsap to the bench

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/hawks-start-gustavo-ayon-move-paul-millsap-to-benc/nbtWh/

Paul Millsap getting the Jeremy Lin treatment in favor of Gustavo Ayon. McFail strikes again!

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Or Millsap's name may have come up in the Asik trade discussions.

Avoiding injuries, just like why we're gonna sit Asik

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Horford b****ed as much about starting as center as Asik b****ed about not starting as center.

1 person likes this.
  4. NotChandlerParsons

Yikes, saw this and thought we'd already traded for Millsap. Then I realized I was looking at Dish. Interesting but

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

How does changing WHEN during a game Millsap plays avoid injury?

Also, Millsap can't be traded for another month. They can't avoid injury for that long.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am sure Millsap fits the bench better.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The article mentions that the Hawks wanted more rim protection and that looks like a realistic reason. I was watching Hawks vs. Knicks for a bit the other night and the Hawks look small, especially in comparison to Bargnani.

Another thing is that Horford probably continued to complain about playing C and getting tired out battling against bigger guys. He does a pretty good job as a C but has to expend a ton of energy being 6'9'' and not having especially long arms.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, Milsap has been having a great year too. I'd love to have him.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Overblown, Millsap still finished right around (29) his season average (30.8) for minutes per game

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Demotion. MOF's will be outraged!

1 person likes this.
  12. willus

willus Member

They worked hard to get him in the offseason just to put him on the bench?

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Agreed. Atlanta/Millsap strikes me as a pretty good fit for an Asik trade. It remains to be seen what Morey and Ferry can negotiate there.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The question is, 'what is Ferry's (real) goal for this season'. And in another month will the Hawks be a leading Eastern bottom feeding play-off contender or flailing mightily in a conference with the flailing Knixies and Nyets?

15. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I can't believe y'all want a Jazz player on this team and plus he can't be traded until December 15th

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Horford is undersized at C and Millsap is undersized at PF. In Utah Millsap was better off the bench as an energy guy than starter.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

If the Hawks were in all-out tank mode for this season, they probably wouldn't have gone out and signed Millsap. Even if you view it as signing a future trade asset (not a bad strategy if true), I doubt they give all that money to Kyle Korver and also pay a decent salary to Elton Brand. They could have just as easily went into the season with a ton of cap room, just like the Sixers did.

Atlanta will compete this season. They won't be very good, but they'll compete.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It has been my take that Ferry signed Milsap and Brand as assets if the team looks to be lotto bound, otherwise he's playing the treading game. Korver? smh.

The East's depth is poor and two of their top teams look pretty much like dog stuff at this early season point, so Hawks' goals remain elusive to me.

Q: Larry Sanders. Fine young player, rough start to his newly signed contract. What are Bucks' options re: trading him? With the contract kicking in next year can he be traded at all? Would a trade have to be with a team with sufficient cap room this season and next? Thanks.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Just answered this question on Twitter. Basically, because Sanders is subject to what is commonly known as the Poison Pill provision of the CBA (the REAL Poison Pill, not the Arenas Rule issues with Lin and Asik), the average annual salary of his contract and extension is used to determine his salary to the INCOMING team. That would be around $9.4M. However, Milwaukee must use his current salary ($3.1M) as his outgoing salary. This makes salary-matching very difficult. Basically, any Sanders trade would need to involve multiple players and lots of salary, possibly with a third team involved to take on extra contracts.

Still, as I've said before, I highly doubt Milwaukee moves Sanders this season. They're going to give him a chance to earn that contract that they JUST gave him this summer. Knucklehead or not.

20. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I don't know why people still react so strongly to players coming off the bench in today's NBA. You would think that Manu's role in SAS, and Harden's role in OKC would have set an example by now.

A squad on the floor doesn't need redundancies and bringing a better player off the bench often helps maximize advantages and matchups. These guys still get their minutes and sometimes even more production - what's the big deal?