1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atkins - Again !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One important thing is that people's bodies are different and react differently to different things. Some people's metabolisms will process certain foods differently.

Some diabetics are set off more by dried fruits, while others will see their blood sugar spike more with pastas. There are diabetics who are barely affected by pasta. Different people's bodies are different.

There are numerous native peoples such as a certain tribe of Eskimos who's diet is over 90% protein. They have been studied and have less than normal examples of cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart disease.

I think a balanced diet is the way to go. It hasn't been 100% proven but they believe diet may be linked to certain cancers. Folks in the far east and orient that eat heavy doses of veggies are more prone to stomach cancer than are westerners. Westerners rarely get stomach cancer, but they get prostrate and colon cancer a lot. The folks in the far east rarely get it.

So either a balanced diet will give you two types of cancer, or none. :D

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Too much competition for Atkins to handle. Once the diet became popular, everybody and their mother began coming up with low carb items. "Low carb" replaced "low fat" as the new catch phrase for diet food.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly A-Train.

I am into my 2nd week am down about 8 pounds so far, and the Ketostix are registering a solid purple.

In fact, I am vacationing in San Francisco and Napa Valley and am drinking wine and eating healthy.....just low carb.....

The easiest diet I ever did......I love it.

DD

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've started weight lifting again on my BowFlex and eating healthier focusing on more protein intake with limited good carbs only. I'm also about to get back into running.

As part of the routine, I've been buying the South Beach TV dinners and eating one for dinner. They are pretty good. I've started eating a breakfast(e.g. oatmeal, etc.) to give my body a boost in the morning...which I used to skip. But, we all know that is the most important meal of the day eh and eating many small meals a day is preferrable. Other things I plan on eating on my routine: soy protein shakes with added wheat germ, whole wheat sandwich with plent of meat, mixed nuts in limited quantites, a lean hot pocket(for lunch), tuna fish, lean cuts of meat, some fruits, and whatever else I come up with.

The key...to me anyway...is like has been discussed. Get away from the sugar and bad carbs. All they do is leave you hungry and wanting more. Plus, drink lots of water. Eating more protein leaves you feeling more full more of the time. That's why it's so easy to stick to these high protein diets...you don't eat as much cause all the protein keeps you satisfied. It's easy to follow the general gameplan without actually following the book details verbatim.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back on the health kick after a long drought. So far...so good.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

not trying to attack the atkins diet...

but why not just regulate calorie intake and raise activity levels. that seems to be the most logical thing to do. i've never had a problem with weight but i did see myself gaining a few pounds from my completely sedentary (sp?) lifestyle due to my jobs. so to fix it i just made sure i got out on the basketball court and started doing more athletic stuff in general. maybe i just don't get it since i've never had a problem with weight and i refuse to let myself get fat.

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Nice to see your doind well Da Dakota!

Im already down 2 pounds and I've been cheating my butt off and so far no exercise!!

Today, I plan to start watching my carbs closer, and run a couple of miles a day.

I have a month left before I go on my Cali beach vacation! Got to lose that gut or they will think Im a beached manatee.

Ive been doing eggs and ham steak in the mornings.

For lunch I make a large salad with a couple of cheese burger patties and a dob of ranch or bleu cheese, an idea given to me by my uncle who lost over 40+ eating this daily.

For dinner I usually get a rotiserre chicken and a large ceasar salad.

Every once in a while I go to Ihop for the T-bone Steak and eggs for breakfast. I noticed if I eat a good breakfast I am not tempted to snack much during the day.

#67 Gummi Clutch, Aug 2, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I should have started with you guys when you started...I restarted yesterday...just starting induction...

9. Gummi Clutch

I re-started this weekend (very loosely) and am already down 4 lbs.
    I've started to watch myself closer and began running a mile or two a day.
    I may also do some light, hi rep weight lifting.
    I'll be doing this for 5 weeks before I go on my LA beach vacation.
    What do you guys think is a realistic goal to set?
    Is 6 lbs. a week too much to ask for?
    That would be 30 lbs. in one month.

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

day 4 for me nearly done, feel good and already not feeling hungry between meals, not sure if i have lost any, don't have any scales at home and will weigh myself at my parents tomorrow night

and not sure if i am Ketosis yet, will check tomorrow

will also ride to work tomorrow, which will make it twice for the week (it is a about 45 km round trip) and plan to ride a couple of times on the weekend

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FYI - eating too much protein is bad for you. The American diet is already high for protein, so increasing levels can result in long-term issues.

12. Gummi Clutch

It has almost been one week and Im down 6 lbs.
    Ive started jogging 1 to 2 miles a day, and I think it's helping get the weight off faster.
    I was craving some DQ Blizzards yesterday but I shook it off.
    Thank God DQ Country is never in a conveinent location.
    Jello with Cool Whip is a nice dessert.
    Anyone have any others?

Its funny how every one is concerned we are gorging ourself on protein, when really all I am doing is avoiding bad carbs. Sugar, Refined White Breads, Pastas, Rice, etc.

When I loose the weight I am looking for in a couple of weeks, I will begin mixing in good carbs. Wheat Bread, Oatmeal, Fruits, etc.

The worst part of my diet right now is probably the typical american breakfast minus carbs. Eggs, sausage, ham, etc. All of my other meals are basically protein with a large serving of vegetables or a huge salad. I dont see why people see that as so unhealthy. Id be doing a lot worse if I was on my old diet of cramming down sodas and fast food.

13. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

All right guys, let me tell you a little story about someone I knew who did Atkins, South Beach and all those fad diets. This lady is someone I knew through my wife, and has been doing those diets non-stop since Atkins became popular. She went in to have a mammogram done. While having it done, the doctor discovered plaque in the blood vessels in her breasts, through the maammogram. Plaque, the stuff that builds up in your vessels that blocks blood flow, and causes heart attacks. Now, if you have that much build-up in smaller blood vessels, which are further down the circulatory system, imagine how much of that crap is building up in the major blood vessels, especially around the heart. Her doctor told her to immediately stop these diets. The funny thing is, my wife was playing with those diets when this happened. She quit doing them as soon as her friend told her. Now, that being said, why risk your health on one of these fad diets?

Didn't you learn from the all high protein diets that were all the rage before Atkins? If you didn't, let me explain. Most people who used those diets were in the hosptial with their kidneys shut down. Why? Because you had such high levels of protein in your body, that the kidneys....which process proteins....couldn't handle it. And, when your Kidneys shut down, you are talking about your life being in jeopardy. Remember when Matthew Perrry was in the hospital when his kidneys shut down? You guessed it, he was doing the high protein diet.

Sorry to ruffle some feathers in here, but, I can't stand all these fad diets. The thing I hate more is how quickly people flock to these things for their weight loss salvation, only to find out later it was worse for you body than having those extra pounds.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

T,

Who says the diet was the cause of her plaque?

I have better cholesteral readings and lower blood pressure because of Atkins.

Down 10...still drinking wine in Napa !!

WOOT !

DD

15. Surfguy

That's a misinterpretation of what I meant. I meant relative to the amount of carb intake. Plus, if your lifting weights, then extra protein intake is necessary. If your just sitting on your duff eating nothing but 200+ grams of protein every day, then I don't think that would necessarily be healthy, either.

I personally don't believe in the Atkins "eat whatever protein you want". I know you'll still lose weight if your carbs are down. I'm not going to eat 15 slices of bacon a day or live on bags of pork skins. I think the source of the protein is important. I choose to get my protein from items like chicken, soy, fish, occassional lean red meat, etc. . I don't believe in scarfing down sausage, bacon, eggs, burgers, etc. even if Atkins says its allowed. Like has been said, I don't think that is good for your arteries even if your losing weight.

16. Surfguy

I thought Mathew Perry's kidneys were shutting down cause he was addicted to pills?

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think Atkins even encouraged fattier meat.

When I did Atkins, I noticed I was eating fewr calories. Many of us have no idea how many calories are in a hamburger bun.

18. Asian Sensation

Just ate a whole half pepperoni and mushroom and half ham n pineapple pizza with buffalo wingz and washed it down with some ice coooold Pepsi.

Take that DR. ATKINS!

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

down 2.5 kgs after one week

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

But does anyone give him crap about plaque and cholesterol? :rolleyes: