1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atkins - Again !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 25, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not everyone has the same physiology, or lifestyle that you do....

Atkins works...and it is a positive step forward.

IROC, Smeg and all other Atkins pals.

We need a name....what about the Purple Pals? (For the color of the Ketostix).

DD

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Good to know that I'll have someone to look for advice and encouragement when I make up mind and take shot at it. Some non-strict vegetarians do not include cheese, eggs, or even seafood on their list of things they don't eat. How about you, Jeff?

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Technically, a vegetarian is a person who does not eat flesh - no meat and that includes fish. If you eat fish, you aren't technically a vegetarian. They've tried to come up with names for that - pesco-vegetarian - but a traditional vegetarian eats no animal flesh.

A vegan does not consume any animal by-products, which include dairy products - cheese, milk, etc.

I fall into the category of the traditional vegetarian. I don't eat any animal flesh but I do eat plenty of dairy products. I know that I occassionally get meat in foods - stray piece here or there or at a restaurant if I don't realize something was made with beef or chicken stock. I'm not a freak about it. It happens.

I just avoid eating a steak, a burger, a piece of chicken, shrimp, etc.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

See this is what I hear from many Atkins dieters :
    "It worked great, but I kinda slacked off and gained a bunch of weight back, so I'm going back on it".

The whole "get out of control on fruit" part is also kind of scary to me because I love fruit. Heck, the diet I was on, that and a salad is all I ate for lunch. What was weird about it was that I just kept losing pound after pound without really trying much. I mean, I'd go eat chinese food with noodles and grease in it on the weekend, then maybe get 10 wings from Hooters. I'd weigh myself the next day and I had lost a pound. lol.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

OK to become a vegetarian, from your own experience and/or that of others you know, is it easier to go from a big-time meat eater to a moderate one to minimal to non-meat than from-all-to-none overnight?

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From my personal experience, it was not that difficult to quit cold turkey (pun intended :) ), but that was me. I would highly recommend the book Gradual Vegetarian by Lisa Tracy. I didn't need it, but it is an excellent book for those who are thinking about the option.

It tapers you off of meat slowly. In some cases, you may not want to become a complete vegetarian and continue to eat fish or even some poultry and that's fine. You just have to test it for yourself.

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Oh great, I'll check on that book. Thanks for all the information.

DD, I guess that's all for the vegetarian talk to derail your thread. ;)

8. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I started Atkins again and I think with a little common sense it could be a "healthy" diet.

Atkins doesnt call for 0 carbs except maybe when you start out.. (2 weeks) but it calls you to regulate the amount of carbs you consume each day. I noticed when I was on Atkins I ate healthier than usual (usually eat fast food). I noticed eating more meat I craved more veggies (which was alot better than the 0 veggies I would consume normally)

you dont have to eat just fat and meat.

my typical day consists of.

Breakfast - ham/cheese/mushroom omellete
    Lunch - chicken salad w/ low carb dressing (no croutons)
    Dinner - I eat pretty simple.. some type of meat (beef or chicken) and I eat them wrapped in lettuce. Just meat seems to salty for me personally.

I have stayed below my daily limit of carbs and seemed pretty healthy to me add in a lil excersize sounds like a healthy lifestyle to me.

people forget you dont want to diet you want to make it lifestyle.. no matter what you do if you dont stay committed you wont keep the results.

J

#48 room4rentsf, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  9. DaDakota

Rooms,

Exactly !

Atkins calls for you to lower your carb intake to around 20 carbs a day for the first 2 weeks, then gradually increase to find out your bodies limit.

DD

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are tons of ways to loose weight that work and are healthy for you, but in the end it's a lifestyle change or you will go back to sucking in that gut when a pretty girl (or guy) walks by.

Personally, I believe in the Atkins diet 100% to get a nice jumpstart on losing weight. I was 6'1", 260 in 2000, and I decided to get healthy. I started the Atkins diet and lost about 20 lbs in 6 weeks, and that gave me enough motivation to start working out and take it all the way. I ended up at around 195 about a year later. I didn't stay with the Atkins diet, but I did stay with a healthy diet. The only time I strayed was beer- I could never cut that out forever. I did stop sugar based colas cold turkey and replaced them with diet sodas. I was at four+ a day. After I quit the sugared sodas, I didn't find that I 'needed' sodas so much any more, and I was able to completely cull sodas out.

It's funny that DD posted this, because I think we started Atkins on the same day. I met my wife two years ago, and have been steadily ballooning up to 235 now. We got some pictures back from a 4th of July party and I was shocked at how much I had gained back. I've been on it for five days now and I have already lost 5 lbs. I also started working out again. I expect the weight to melt off in a few months.

One thing that I don't see much in any diet discussion is water. It really is the fountain of youth- drink a gallon or more a day and you will help your body flush out that junk all the faster. It's tough at first, but keep at it, and it will pay off. I pay for a 5 gallon water dispenser so I can have it by my desk at work- you can get them fairly cheap, and the big name distributors are willing to work a deal on the water.

Anyway, good luck, DD!

J

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Glad you specified... but it still sounds a little ghey on it's own... or vulgar. ;)

How about the "Atkins Frinz" or something quit obvious. ;)

12. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Okay, Im officially on the Atkins train with you.
    I got a month before I go to LA and need to shed a few pounds.

I started Atkins in January. I lost a good 15 lbs with no exercise what so ever.
    I would like to exercise, and want to start however I am going through a medical treatment that leaves me with no energy what so ever.

I'll keep you posted and let you know how I do.

This afternoon went to Pronto on Montrose.
    Only the best Roatiseree Chicken in town Gah!! Side of Sautted Spinach and Green Beans. ICED TEA!

Snacking on Jack Links Peppered Beef Jerky!

#52 Gummi Clutch, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

If i'm not mistaken, I don't think you can have ICED TEA? :confused:

14. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I havent even bothered reading the Atkins books or tapes.
    Im just winging it.
    I didnt do the 20g first week thing.
    I basically just kicked all the carbs I knew were bad for me anyway.
    French Fries, White Bread, White Rice, Sodas, Junk Foods, etc.
    And I started losing.

No exercise, I guess I lied. I coach a youth basketball team twice a week and move around a bit. But no real exercise routine.

I went off the diet for a while because I had to take my youth team to Nationals. Needless to say we ate a lot of McDonalds, Taco Bell, Frito Pie, Spaghetti, etc. CHEAP FOODS.

But now Im ready to get back on track.

I'll let you know how much I lose before I go to LA and binge at PINKs hot dog stand. :D

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

sure you can, just not sweetened with sugar.

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Ah I see. I figured the caffeine from tea isn't good. But now I can drink something else besides water now. Even though water is best :).

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

folks will tell you that caffeine isnt good for you, but unless I missed something when I intially read up on Atkins last year...I dont rewmember it saying anything about cutting out caffeine...which is a good thing cause I could never do that. ;)

rooms spelled out what I think about Atkins...I dont stick strickly with the program...I just cut back on alot of the breads, pastas, potatoes and full sugar sodas...drink more water...diet sodas...and more veggies and meat/cheeses and lost quite a bit. I also joined a gym soon after finishing the initial 20 carbs part and lost almost 50 in a couple of months.

The best effect for me was learning how to cut back on the un-necessary starches...once I kicked that...everything else was gravy.

18. DaDakota

Rock2k,

EXACTLY !

Caffeine is not recommended, but only because some people's phsiology will react differently to it.

I decided to give it up and had none for more than a year.....well, it has been one week now....5lbs lighter and in MAJOR Ketosis baby !!

Let the inches and the weight loss.....begin !!

DD

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Just heard on NPR a couple of hours ago: Atkins Nutritionals Inc. declared bankrupty yesterday.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew