1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Athletes, Trainers, Ballers, need some help on this one!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RudyTBag, Apr 5, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Knote< just get stronger. Get your core stronger by doing power cleans, squats, and bench. I had a similar problem when i went to hoop at college. I was 6'4 170. Coach wanted me to gain, but wanted me stronger. So i just did alot of lifting in those areas i just metioned. As classic mentioned, you need to eat, but its more important to get strong and be healthy. Garnett is a thin guy, but he's stronger than he looks. Get stronger and you body will fill out. Picking up bad eating habits early will only make it bad for you when you hit 25 or so and your metab slows up.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree with the previous post. Balance between strength, weight and health. Not that there has to be a difference but you're playing basketball, not trying out for defensive end. I dont think you're gonna care about the health part anyways :eek: But if I had to choose between more strength or more weight, I'd certainly go more strength. 30 pounds before next season sounds like quite a bit but good luck at it!

3. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

I am serious. I thought squats released more testosterone than deadlifts.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

+1

I agree with this. If your objective is improving in your sport, rather than bodybuilding, I wouldn't waste time with the creatine. You need to be focusing on long term, sustained strength increases. Creatine will pump your cells up with water resulting in aesthetic gains (as well as short term strength increases, admittedly), but it's not a long term solution for an athlete. Your focus should be getting stronger, not looking big, the latter of which being the goal of 99% of the population.

That's probable, I'm not sure. I just know that there's nothing you can do short of roids that will pack on overall body mass more than adding deadlifts to your workout routine. We're talking about a one-motion exercise targeting every major muscle group (sans pecs) while hitting smaller assisting muscles too - it doesn't get much better than that.

As for testosterone, like you said, nothing releases more growth hormone in the body than a good leg workout, since it's the largest muscle group. It's for this reason that most guys see their whole body overall getting a bit thicker when they first start doing their legs. In addition, a great tip I would recommend to anyone, is to pair legs on the same day as whatever other muscle group they feel is lacking/or they want to focus on. Hit legs first that day and then as all the hormones are released, the advantage is carried over onto the next muscle group.

#24 thacabbage, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

solid advice. thanks

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's an excellent point. Don't get sidetracked on a short term gain at the risk of doing things that will harm you in the long run. For a lot of people, myself included, you will find that you naturally will put on more muscle and get stronger as you mature. Trying to push it too hard now might make you more prone to joint injuries and by the time you hit your thirties you might find it harder to drop those pounds that you wanted in your late teens and early twenties.

So if you are eating a lot now make sure you are eating healthy, lean protein, instead of a lot of fat laden foods.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I will start doing the dreaded cleans again....

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You will be surprised how much better you become by lifting weights. Most young guys dont like lifting because they think it will throw their shot off, thats what i thought. I was always very strong in the legs as far as squats and stuff, but building core power really helped me out. Being able to stay on balance after contact and repetitive jumps with power are all from power cleans. The ability to absorb contact in air and still maintain balance is also from power cleans and upper body stregnth. The ability to jump comes from how much air you can intake also. So having a strong stomach from crunches and aerobics can and will help alot. I'm not telling you anything i didnt experience. I got caught on a switch with Jamaal Mashburn in college and it was unfair to say the least. Of course mash was a very strong guy in college, but you really dont know until you're trying to get over the top of him on the post. The coaches will have you on a weight program to get you stronger as a player. Take those serious and you will see yourself improve by leaps and bounds. If they dont have the riht program, i'm pretty sure i can get my hands on some old workouts from college that will help.