1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At this point, do the Texans just need to hope a Top QB becomes disgruntled?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

I'm counting on one of the Texans' quarterbacks becoming gruntled.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is less likely that a really good QB gets disgruntled and more that a team with a good QB happens to have a great one developing under him, and they decide to trade the good one. Kind of like the Drew Brees situation with Phillip Rivers. I'm not entirely sure there's a team that potentially fits that definition right now. I could see Washington deciding to go with Cousins and dropping RGIII, but I don't want any part of that guy after what I've read.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really think the future of great NFL QBs is in serious jeopardy due to so many high schools and colleges running the spread-option.

Until that trend changes, there are going to be few if any Andrew Lucks coming out and a lot more RG III's.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Vince Young

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Brees & Rivers are both potentially viable options the Texans should jump all over if they're made available. There was a brief moment this past offseason where it looked like the Saints might blow things up - and they still might. He's owed 53.8MM this year and next.

6. Major

Major Member

Their philosophy to constantly shuffling GMs and coaches is a separate ownership problem that has been a trainwreck and has only made their QB situation worse by not giving them any stability.

I don't care about the specific QB, but I applaud them for realizing that finding a good QB should be their absolute priority because until they solve that, they're just going to wobble around between a floor of being terrible to a ceiling of being mediocre.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your new method of stating "Pooper" is more subtle but still retains the same meaning. I like it.

8. Major

Major Member

Agree completely with this. It's one of my big concerns with the Texans' apparent current philosophy of getting the QB *after* building the rest of the team. These rebuilding years should be when your QB-of-the-future is getting his development time so everything comes together at once. You don't want to build the rest of the team and then get the QB and then he needs his 2-3 years of development time on top of that.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

No one has faith in Savage :confused::eek:

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Nope.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who are the top QBs we would want to be disgruntled?

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

Rivers got a new deal and wants to stay regardless of where the Chargers play. Brees might be available if the Saints continue imploding. He'd open up a 2-3 year window depending on health but it'll be tough competition to get him.

The Texans are better off if they treat the position like a commodity. If they believe in their system, then they can take solid QBs and get enough out of them to win. At any single point in NFL history, you only have at most 5-7 QBs in any single season who you could say is playing like a top tier franchise QB. Every other QB is some variation of the other with some costing more money than others.

In today's NFL rookie salary structure , getting a top tier QB requires a top pick because of the bargain those contracts represent if the QB is successful relative to their peer class. This is why passing on a Bridgewater is a bad decision. Not because you think he can be a superstar but if he can be a Flacco, Dalton, Smith level QB, you get that production at a fraction of the cost. That lower cost opens up a longer window for contention if you are smart with other draft picks and free agent signings. The only reason the Colts haven't won a title is because Ryan Grigson is possibly the worst GM in football. Once Lucks new deal kicks in, the Colts will lose their ability to field a roster deep enough to consistently get through the playoffs.

As long as the Texans can find cheap solid QBs like they have now or start drafting the Brigdewaters of the world at least every couple of years, they can keep the cap flexibility to maintain a deep roster that can open up a contending window for a long time. If there are more solid to good QBs always available than franchise QBs, keep running through those until they get too expensive then let someone else over pay them.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I know this has probably been hashed and rehashed but I kinda hope this happens

RG 3 stays sucky this season(but shows slight flashes of a comeback) and Jay Gruden continues to mess with him.

The 'Skins release him in the offseason

The Texans sign RG3

RG 3 and BoB mesh and RG3 has his redemption story playing back in his home state for the Texans and becomes at least a 2nd tier top QB.

The Texans and RG 3 go on to the Super Bowl.

Ah dreams are nice! :grin:

15. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...kins-planning-starting-kirk-cousins-qb-week-1

Cousins starting week 1. Could be concussion related but considering season starts in 2 weeks I doubt it.

RGIII is not considered to be the best teammate but this could be a buy low opportunity the Texans need. Doubt they take a chance on him though.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

There's no reason to think RGIII is OB's type of QB. OB wants a pocket passer. RGIII's problem is that he's not one. He's a running QB's that's struggled to adjust his game. Last I heard, he still struggled reading defenses and running an NFL offense. Some reporter did a brutal breakdown of one of his games last year showing just how much he doesn't get it. His best year as a rookie was when they simplified things and incorporated a lot of Baylor's offense to help him out. That's not going to work with Bill.

EDIT: Here's the breakdown
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If Brees doesn't hit the market I'd rather take my chances in the draft. The list of free agent qbs and qbs that can be had via trade is hot garbage.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

If RG3 were to become available at any point, I hope the Texans stay as far away as possible. He doesn't fit the scheme at all. Bad pocket QB, lacks the ability to read a defense, holds onto the ball for way to long, takes unnecessary hits. Easily hurt. Lacks the mental toughness to adjust and hasn't shown any ability to lead a team.

I get he hasn't been put into a position to succeed, but he also hasn't done anything to prove he isn't the disaster he's been.

Even if the Texans were high on him, having Washington already picking up his 5th year option and ballooning his salary to $16 million for 2016 is a huge flag. While it isn't guaranteed, it's still a large sum to pay a guy who isn't a concrete answer at QB. You don't take a flier on a guy that's due to get paid that much. It's just not smart. Especially with the Texans needing to lock up their own FAs coming up in Brooks, Crick, Jones, and probably Mohamed. Got a lot of money going into the trenches, which happens to be the second most important areas of a team.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually this picture is a perfect example for the Texans.

When you have such a long list of failure, sometime you need to realize the problem isnt just about those QB suck, but rather your decision makers arent doing it right slso.

Hence you can see how many front office changes during that span.

While in Houston, our list in the Rick Smith era is more that half way long of this list, and he is still sitting tight in his GM chair.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Ryan Mallet?